Apple retail stores to upgrade from Windows-based EasyPay to iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Hes not speculating. It's a JOKE.

You get jokes sometimes, don't you?

I agree that it's a joke. I don't think it's a very good one though, and I think it's out of place in a relatively serious article.
  • Reply 62 of 122
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I've got a dock connector based audio test and measurement set. This is new, and was only possible with OS 3.

Got a link for info on that?
  • Reply 63 of 122
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Dear all:

teckstud has been given an infraction for insulting another poster early in the thread. This took his points total to 5, resulting in an automatic ban for 3 days.

I have also deleted some later posts that attacked teckstud. Please don't bully people, even if you don't agree with the comments they make. If you don't like a comment, argue with the content of the post in a mature, robust manner; show the original poster with well-reasoned argument why they are wrong. Do not attack the poster on a personal level, even if you feel provoked.

Thanks for reading, carry on!
  • Reply 64 of 122
    Ah, nice to see that crappy OS being tossed to the curb. I wish more would follow, because I fixed a BBQ’s restaurant’s pos POS server. The software on it is so lame – it requires WinXP since it can’t run on anything but IE6 in the system, yet it is a brand new server. So lame, that the sticker on the PC says Vista Business, so it was downgraded to run XP legally.

Then they have the nerve to tie the pos POS software to the PC via the name of the PC, making it impossible to reinstall the app on a clean install of Windows when it got infected. Sad too, is the fact that it can’t have any updates, nor can it run any a/v software or any firewall.

DIE MICROSOFT DIE!!!
  • Reply 65 of 122
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Good for Apple! I'm glad to see them eat their own dog food in a sort of way. In other words, use iPod Touches in the workplace. That will allow them to experience what other POS clients have to face performance and ergonomically wise.
  • Reply 66 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    How long Mr. H?

• Reply 67 of 122
    Quote:

Hes not speculating. It's a JOKE.

You get jokes sometimes, don't you?

Rarely, evidence around here would suggest.
  • Reply 68 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not before Christmas season if they have any sense.

It says they're replacing the terminals with iPod based EasyPay terminals. It's still EasyPay.

If so, it allows them to use both terminals in parallel, with the same back end system. This is much more likely to work seamlessly, and gives them a choice of either terminal if there is an issue. In fact, it'll double their available terminals for a few months which might be quite useful.
  • Reply 69 of 122
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

It says they're replacing the terminals with iPod based EasyPay terminals. It's still EasyPay.

That's how I understood it from reading the article. Is the implication in the article correct though, or is it just sources being lazy and calling it an EasyPay system even if it isn't any more?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

If so, it allows them to use both terminals in parallel, with the same back end system. This is much more likely to work seamlessly, and gives them a choice of either terminal if there is an issue. In fact, it'll double their available terminals for a few months which might be quite useful.

But as someone suggested earlier, how do we know which part of the system tends to go wrong when one of these POS units plays up? Is it the CC reader, the bar-code scanner, the software (on the device), the OS (on the device), the device hardware (the PocketPC) or something in the backend system? If this solution is still provided by EasyPay, will it be more reliable just because it's running on an iPod Touch?
  • Reply 70 of 122
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I wonder if the form factor of the touch will be an issue. I find the touch to be a bit hard to hold, and would probably really dislike holding it for hours at a time. Are there any pictures of this new device? Thinking a cradle with the scanner might add to the bulk nicely.
  • Reply 71 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree that it's a joke. I don't think it's a very good one though, and I think it's out of place in a relatively serious article.

Indeed. I don't like Prince McLean's articles very much at all. If he'd just stick to the facts and leave his bias behind, he'd be a better writer. There's no reason he can't join in the thread discussion after presenting an unbiased article, right? Then he could joke and be sarcastic and tout Apple all he'd like, *outside* of his news articles. It's like teckstud is his editor.

You guys spend too much time hating on teckstud, too. You actually criticize him more than a poorly written article, which is unfortunate. Prince may have more errors, bias and omissions in his articles than teckstud does in his opinions.
  • Reply 72 of 122
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I'd say the embarassing part of BootCamp, and more so the VMware/Parellels, is how many mac buyers also BUY full retail Windows just for Office and such. Windows, even when running (especially when running) inside OS X or on Mac's hardware (which is a PC) is still virus laden windows (unless you do it right, which is pretty easy to keep safe on Windows.) Didn't people buy a Mac to get away from all that?

I've used Mac's since day one and only recently using Windows Vista, XP and Ubuntu under Fusion.

Windows is safe as long as you:

1: Keep it off the net, except for updates.

2: Don't first virus scan files in OS X before sending them to Windows.

XP has to be fully updated (via OS X downloaded files) before allowing it on the net or it will be pawned in seconds.

Fusion allows you to keep "snapshots" of various OS builds (they are simply files) so you can go back to a earlier version and then update from there.

So even if something manages to get into Windows, by periodically reverting back to a early version and then updating from there keeps it clean.

Fusion also gives a free one year McAffee, which I used to run all the time but it never picks up anything. I spend more time updating it.

I use Ubuntu to surf the dark areas of the net as it's "security through obscurity" gives it a extra level of protection. Still I often revert back to the first install and auto-update from there just in case.

On top of all that, I also clone my whole boot drive at least monthly and before any major installs, on several external drives and dated.

Needless to say I've never gotten any virus, hacked or anything. My boot drive died on me one day, which I simply option booted from the clone and restored files from a backup DVD. I called Apple and they had a new drive at my door by 4pm the next day.

I simply reversed cloned and went on using my computer, no down time what so ever.

I love shocking PC users by having all four operating systems running at once, they get this sick look on their faces.
  • Reply 73 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm a savvy user, malware isn't a problem for me, just some things are more irritating to do in Windows. I usually don't have computer problems, but if it's on the OS X, the solution is generally a lot quicker and less painful.

The times I've had problems with Windows, the fix was usually quite simple. The times I've had problems with Mac OS X, the fix usually included command line stuff (not as simple). Mind you, Windows has more minor problems than the number of Major problems on the mac, making it so it was really just a wash of which one was easier to maintain. The mac would perform without problems longer, but when they happen, it was usually catastrophic.

I got Win7 through student discount. I am fine spending 30 bucks on a MS product. Same for Apple. Wouldn't spend more than that though on either of their OSs.

---

I guess this is why you don't see any red shirt Apple employees (at least I haven't)? Knowing how SJ likes to keep things close to Star Trek...
  • Reply 74 of 122
    This is a great start for the iPhone/touch revolution. However, when are going to see a game pad that I cal drop my iPhone into that has a D Pad and a few buttons. You can only take touch and tilt so far in the game arena. This is really the next step.
  • Reply 75 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I've used Mac's since day one and only recently using Windows Vista, XP and Ubuntu under Fusion.

Windows is safe as long as you:

1: Keep it off the net, except for updates.

2: Don't first virus scan files in OS X before sending them to Windows.

XP has to be fully updated (via OS X downloaded files) before allowing it on the net or it will be pawned in seconds.

Fusion allows you to keep "snapshots" of various OS builds (they are simply files) so you can go back to a earlier version and then update from there.

So even if something manages to get into Windows, by periodically reverting back to a early version and then updating from there keeps it clean.

Fusion also gives a free one year McAffee, which I used to run all the time but it never picks up anything. I spend more time updating it.

I use Ubuntu to surf the dark areas of the net as it's "security through obscurity" gives it a extra level of protection. Still I often revert back to the first install and auto-update from there just in case.

On top of all that, I also clone my whole boot drive at least monthly and before any major installs, on several external drives and dated.

Needless to say I've never gotten any virus, hacked or anything. My boot drive died on me one day, which I simply option booted from the clone and restored files from a backup DVD. I called Apple and they had a new drive at my door by 4pm the next day.

I simply reversed cloned and went on using my computer, no down time what so ever.

I never put my XP installs on the net right off the bat. I download the updates I need, drivers and such on a more secure machine, and install the the AV and such before even hitting the net. After that I'll stay connected. Mind you, I don't go to the deeper dark places on the net (and Ubuntu, or any other "obscure" OS can't save you in some instances depending on where you go or what you are doing) so that eliminates that whole bit. My web usage is really pathetic if you look at what I do online.

On the same token, I never get the newest OS X release until 10.x.4 or better. I need to give them time to work out all the kinks. Usually there are plenty of them to work out, but by 10.x.6 and better, its running really smooth and stable.
  • Reply 76 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Ah, nice to see that crappy OS being tossed to the curb. I wish more would follow, because I fixed a BBQ’s restaurant’s pos POS server. The software on it is so lame – it requires WinXP since it can’t run on anything but IE6 in the system, yet it is a brand new server. So lame, that the sticker on the PC says Vista Business, so it was downgraded to run XP legally.

Then they have the nerve to tie the pos POS software to the PC via the name of the PC, making it impossible to reinstall the app on a clean install of Windows when it got infected. Sad too, is the fact that it can’t have any updates, nor can it run any a/v software or any firewall.

DIE MICROSOFT DIE!!!

Actually, this sounds like really poorly written POS software. Blame them first.
  • Reply 77 of 122
    Quote:

On the same token, I never get the newest OS X release until 10.x.4 or better. I need to give them time to work out all the kinks. Usually there are plenty of them to work out, but by 10.x.6 and better, its running really smooth and stable.

Beta testing new OS X builds is a real pain in the ass, we should be paid for it.
  • Reply 78 of 122
    this is music to my ear lobes and I dont even work at apple anymore.

I worked at apple in the retail store (and actually knew what the hell I was talking about 100% of the time) ever since we had the very first store meeting where the managers told us we would be using these things called easy pays.

Then.. you couldn't do a thing on them. They sucked from the start. The more function they added to them, the more they sucked. Then there was easy pay upgrades with the new software when iPhone 3G was about to launch. This sucked royally. We all remember, as AI pointed out... the fiasco that was the 3G launch. It was partially due to AT&T activation overload and partially to the EasyPay crap-gate 2008. I remember being one of the employees scheduled to open the store, being there at 7am, and getting 45 minutes into the process of ringing customers only to have my easypay lock up for the 4th time. Then i looked around at all the other employees on the floor and their faces were the same. 20 minutes later after the next time zone kicked in it was dead. Nothing. Just perplexed looks on everyones faces.

This continued well over 3 weeks as customers would come in to buy phones and we had to wait hours. And don't be a customer trying to switch carriers from a single line, then add on 3 additional family plan lines. Oh no.. you'd inevitably crash the entire regions system. It was WHACK to say the very least. I remember asking my manager if I could send a "courtesy" email to Ron Johnson saying what horrendous experiences both customers and employees were having with EasyPays and she politely told me i'd probably not want to do that if I still wanted a job. (she wouldn't be the one firing me) .

This ... though I no longer call Apple Inc. my employer... is such good news to hear.
  • Reply 79 of 122
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

This is a great start for the iPhone/touch revolution. However, when are going to see a game pad that I cal drop my iPhone into that has a D Pad and a few buttons. You can only take touch and tilt so far in the game arena. This is really the next step.

like this?

http://www.icontrolpad.com/
  • Reply 80 of 122
    Quote:

Ah, nice to see that crappy OS being tossed to the curb. I wish more would follow, because I fixed a BBQ?s restaurant?s pos POS server. The software on it is so lame ? it requires WinXP since it can?t run on anything but IE6 in the system, yet it is a brand new server. So lame, that the sticker on the PC says Vista Business, so it was downgraded to run XP legally.

Then they have the nerve to tie the pos POS software to the PC via the name of the PC, making it impossible to reinstall the app on a clean install of Windows when it got infected. Sad too, is the fact that it can?t have any updates, nor can it run any a/v software or any firewall.

Quote:

Actually, this sounds like really poorly written POS software. Blame them first.

Vista was turning out so bad, the POS software makers decided to wait for Win7 instead.