Mac OS X 10.6.2 to update nearly 150 Snow Leopard components

Comments

• Reply 21 of 168
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickguilfoil View Post

"Bitter? Table for one." Snow Leopard is very solid. No issues as you refer to. You must have no idea how to use a computer.

It's deliberate. He's trolling.
  • Reply 22 of 168
    Migrating from 10.4 to 10.5 was smooth like butter....

Nothing crash as often as I am today with 10.6....

Fresh install might be a solution, but never had to do a clean install from 10.3 to 10.4 and then to 10.5....

So, now? I have to? Systems hangs most of them time under 10.6.... and I always have Activity Monitor open to monitor what's going on, and most of the time, it's either because Free memory goes to less than 100MB...

BTW, I have 4GB RAM DDR3 from Factory on my current Unibody MBP

There are several times programs showing red with not responding and this happened once in a while in 10.5, but it's happening several times per day under 10.6

Right now at this moment I have only 6 tabs under Safari, and the memory is taking close to 600MB (Real Memory) and under 62MB from Flash Player (Safari Plug-in)....

And in the past running 10.5, I hardly ever had to restart my MBP.... now with 10.6 I am force to do so several times per week, because the system does not response...

Especially after coming back from sleep mode or hibernation mode (secure sleep mode)...
  • Reply 23 of 168
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I am an experienced Mac user, I have been using Macs since 1991 and I must admit Snow Leopard is not as good as I had hoped. I have not really noticed any speed improvements, apart from startup and shutdown times. Time Machine seems to be backing up a lot more than it used to, not a problem itself but when it does my entire system becomes noticeably slower. I sometimes have to wait over a minute for an open/save/print dialogue box.

My girlfriend has updated to Snow Leopard and has noticed the same problems. I have other friends who have had major issues with programs no longer working reliably and the machines being generally unstable. We are all designers who use CS3 or CS4 and I'm sure a lot of issues could be due to Adobe not doing thorough testing but problems are occurring in Apple's own apps too. I regularly get a video card error when creating a new tab in Safari for example.

However, if I look back I remember there being problems with Leopard and Tiger immediately after released and I think that's just the nature of upgrading early. If only my geeky nature would let me wait the few months needed to iron out all the bugs testing cannot uncover.
  • Reply 24 of 168
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Snow Leopard is OK, but I have been getting 30 second beachballs in the OS ever since firmware 1.7 with my June '09 13" MacBook Pro in its default configuration and with an SSD. Apple simply won't respond to the issue even though there's a 118-page thread regarding the matter on their support forums.
  • Reply 25 of 168
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    There are a number of very annoying bugs in 10.6.1 that are well-documented on the Apple Discussions forum. One could hope that the latest build of 10.6.2 has "no known issues" because Apple has fixed the bugs and not merely ignored them.
  • Reply 26 of 168
    What is all of this complaining about? I personally find Snow Leopard to be the best bang for $29 I've ever spent.
  • Reply 27 of 168
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    As much as I love Time Machine, it can be quite problematic at times. I welcome any updates to it.

I hope 10.6.2 brings us back one step closer to "it just works". Don't get me wrong, OS X is still the BEST operating system out there and I thoroughly enjoy using SL.

Rock on!
  • Reply 28 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

From the first Mac OS X....

You notice improvement and enhancement.... So far Leopard is the best, and Snow Leopard sucks...

Crash all the time, and make everything else crash...

And has become like Microsoft Windows, whopping tons of memory for nothing....

Worst OS by far....

Leopard is the best....

Are you running it on a Psystar machine?
  • Reply 29 of 168
    Snow Leopard is hardly perfect, performing a clean install made it work like 'it should', fixed issues with Finder, iPhoto and Safari (haven't tried Mail). While not a bad experience by any means, some ironing out would've helped as most would simply upgrade rather than clean install.
  • Reply 30 of 168
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hzc View Post

As much as I love Time Machine, it can be quite problematic at times. I welcome any updates to it.

I hope 10.6.2 brings us back one step closer to "it just works". Don't get me wrong, OS X is still the BEST operating system out there and I thoroughly enjoy using SL.

Rock on!

I find the best way to use Time Machine is to disable the auto-schedule, and just kick it off when I really want a backup. If it had any sort of scheduling options, it would be a bit more palatable to use. It's an awesome backup product. It just needs some features other than On/Off.
  • Reply 31 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I find the best way to use Time Machine is to disable the auto-schedule, and just kick it off when I really want a backup. If it had any sort of scheduling options, it would be a bit more palatable to use. It's an awesome backup product. It just needs some features other than On/Off.

I find there is no need to run Time Machine as my Macs running Snow Leopard never crash.
  • Reply 32 of 168
    they better fix internet problem if it is software issue
  • Reply 33 of 168
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    I'm not beta testing any more OS X builds without getting paid for it.

Updates to 150 components? Apple is off it's rocker, call the medics.

All Apple has to do is get a fleet of volunteers to beta test the new OS before release, it's been impossible to keep it under wraps anyway, so what's the problem?

Give a full version for compensation of reports etc. A mere $30, big deal.

I can just imagine all the support calls Apple is generating and the damage done to "It just works". thats costing Apple plenty.
  • Reply 34 of 168
    I've actually been a little disapointed with Snow Leopard. Whilst things for me have not been as bad as the first poster suggests, there have been issues. I had bother with my printer, Safari crashes quite a lot, I get the beachball quite a bit when I open new Finder windows. I've not seen the guest account/deleted data issue, but it's a concern to me.

It's nothing that bad to be honest, and I'm prepared to put up with a few glitches in the early days of a new OS, especially when so much of the code has been re-written.

I do think that the release of Leopard was better though. That was the first upgrade of a Mac operating system I'd ever done, and I'm still amazed at how smooth the install went and how stable everything was.

Apple are in the odd position now that they have set the bar so high, a slight slip-up is news.....
  • Reply 35 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

I find there is no need to run Time Machine as my Macs running Snow Leopard never crash.

You do realize that backups are also for hardware failure? More so than any simple OS crash. It's foolish to think you don't need a backup.
  • Reply 36 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I've actually been a little disapointed with Snow Leopard. Whilst things for me have not been as bad as the first poster suggests, there have been issues. I had bother with my printer, Safari crashes quite a lot, I get the beachball quite a bit when I open new Finder windows. I've not seen the guest account/deleted data issue, but it's a concern to me.

It's nothing that bad to be honest, and I'm prepared to put up with a few glitches in the early days of a new OS, especially when so much of the code has been re-written.

I do think that the release of Leopard was better though. That was the first upgrade of a Mac operating system I'd ever done, and I'm still amazed at how smooth the install went and how stable everything was.

Apple are in the odd position now that they have set the bar so high, a slight slip-up is news.....

Why all of this concern about the guest account? If you don't need it, you should be turning off the guest account anyway. Problem solved.
  • Reply 37 of 168
    Quote:

You do realize that backups are also for hardware failure? More so than any simple OS crash. It's foolish to think you don't need a backup.

I assumed mrkoolaid was joking.
  • Reply 38 of 168
    Anyone know if the OS updates ever include RAW compatibility changes, or are these only delivered separately as the 'Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Updates'?

I've just got a Panasonic GF1 and not only does Aperture not yet support the Panasonic RW2 raw format, but somehow Apple have managed to break DNG-from-Panasonics support in Mac OS/Preview/Aperture (in update 2.6) - so even if I use Adobe DNG convertor, the resulting DNGs aren't recognised!

Alternatively, anyone know of a workaround for this? It's driving me up the wall since I really don't like the obvious option, Lightroom...

Thanks
  • Reply 39 of 168
    Quote:

Why all of this concern about the guest account? If you don't need it, you should be turning off the guest account anyway. Problem solved.

It is a really bad bug and completely unacceptable. It's worrying that there's still no fix for it to be honest.
  • Reply 40 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy View Post

It is a really bad bug and completely unacceptable. It's worrying that there's still no fix for it to be honest.

I'm not worried in the slightest. Turn it of and quit worrying about it. Apple has actually acknowledged this bug. They will issue a fix. I have no doubt.