Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

1373839404143»

Comments

• Reply 841 of 853
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I enjoy arguing with you. If all we do is to exchange pleasantries, then it gets boring real fast.

Thanks.... I think?
  • Reply 842 of 853
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes eventually.

When it comes to Blu-ray, there is over estimation on how much the general consumer cares about quality and under estimation on how lazy most people really are.

The situation is different here. With more people buying 1080p sets, BR has gained in popularity very quickly. As prices continue to drop, more people will buy into it.

After all, all new movies are being released in BR as well as in DVD. At most, the real prices that I see are within a few bucks of each other, and sometimes about the same.

When BR player prices drop more, manufacturers will start dropping DVD players in favor of BR players, which as we all know, also play everything that DVD players do.

It's inevitable.

As the manufacturing costs of the disks run down, having paid off the R&D and plant costs, prices will drop to DVD pricing, and it will be all over for DVD. Just as happened with VHS, companies will start dropping DVDs from their catalogs. Then some new blockbuster will only be released in BR, and that will signal the end of DVD.
  • Reply 843 of 853
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Thanks.... I think?

You're welcome.

The point is that while we may disagree, even sometime to posting links to sources that themselves disagree, mutual admiration societies break up pretty quickly.

You can't even have a real conversation if the other person is constantly saying "I agree".

And we don't disagree on everything here, as you may have noticed.
  • Reply 844 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And we don't disagree on everything here, as you may have noticed.

Yes I have noticed...
  • Reply 845 of 853
    Yeah, bluray is going to have to come, and soon. Something bad must have happened for the licensing to fall through like that. I wouldn't expect it to arrive until sometime next year now.

Mac sales seem to be good though. I was just at best buy. Went to pick up my copy of Snow Leapord and while I was waiting for the guy to get it 3 people bought new iMacs.

It was fun watching this teenager in a bright blue Windows 7 T-shirt hauling these huge iMacs up to the register
  • Reply 846 of 853
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Yes they are, what other way do I have to get HD content to my TV?

Burn it to a DVD? Or stream it digitally?

BlueRay in and of itself isn't HD - it's just a physical medium. The video codecs that BlueRay uses (or better codecs) can be used with other media. BR disks just give you more space to have higher bandwidth content at higher resolutions. For all the fuss about 1080p, unless you are on a large screen and setting pretty close, color tonality and depth is probably more important then raw resolution.

Then again, much like the megapixle myth with digital camera's and the MHz myth of processors people often focus on either the wrong thing, or one individual aspect when it's a combination of things that are really important....
  • Reply 847 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Burn it to a DVD? Or stream it digitally?

How do I do that? There is no DRM free HD downloads available in my location, and as I said, streaming is out of the question due the low download limits I have (plus the fact that they don't exist)
  • Reply 848 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What you all propose we do is simply accept 20th century ideology. Buy a playback device for every room in the home...hope there is a portable version. What is 21st century is the ability to play content across multiple devices and network this content easily. I have little hope that Blu-ray will be able to meet this challenge given the DRM pileup. It may not be important to you but as people begin to look at the many video capable devices they own they're going to naturally gravitate towards the solution that provides the most convenience and that is where he studios will be forced to go.

Are you telling me you have a way to stream DRM-free, completely legal high definition digital downloads to every room in your home without the need for any kind of playback device? Please, tell me what streaming service it is you're using that works on all of the televisions in your house without the need to purchase any additional hardware. And this DRM-free format magically works on your PS3, iPod, and the television in your basement without any kind of set top box connected to it? That's amazing! No wait, it's completely fictional.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Based on what? Look at Broadband penetration today versus 5 years ago. Look at computing power and how we have 8 core computers now. In 2003, just 6 years ago. iTunes 4 was announced with the store. Since then Apple has become one of the largest media resellers. I don't know how anyone could state that in 5 years that downloads will be anything like they are today. We'll be on a nextgen codec that delivers today's quality or better at half the datarate.

I realize that some of you have crappy broadband but that's not the norm for city folk. You'll be playing your Blu-ray discs and watching forced trailers and much of the populace will be watching their movies on multiple devices in great quality.

Again, apart from the technical hurdles of streaming 25-40GB movies into people's homes (and the hidden expense that accompanies such bandwidth requirements), the bigger hurdle is the movie studio's distribution model that does not allow for ANYONE to build an endless library of streaming movies. There's no way the movie studios are going to put themselves in the same position as the record companies did, where Apple now dominates the digital market. They'll continue to severely limit who gets what movies, how long they get it, and if they can get it at all. If a one-stop-shop for high-quality movie downloads can't be built, it's not going to replace discs.

As Morpheus says, you're living in a dreamworld, Neo. The world of purchasable digital movie downloads looks absolutely nothing like how you describe it; the selection is severely limited (Apple has 71 movies available for HD purchase), the quality's unacceptable given the price, it requires a proprietary hardware device (what happens when Apple discontinues the Apple TV due to piss-poor sales?), and content cannot be shared with anyone else in the world let alone the other electronic devices in your home (iPod, game console, etc). Blu-Ray may have DRM restrictions, but there are millions upon millions of players and computers in the world that can play any disc I buy; that means I can take my movies to a friends house, I can buy a new player if mine breaks, and I'm not relying on a single proprietary device that if discontinued would leave me with no way to play my purchased content. This idea of a vast library of DRM-free HD downloads that can play on any device you own and without having to purchase some kind of playback device is completely delusional.
  • Reply 849 of 853
    Do we have an exact date for the quad core shipment in November? Thank you.
  • Reply 850 of 853
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Natemac View Post

Do we have an exact date for the quad core shipment in November? Thank you.

No, but I think some people were told the first week or two. If you placed an order on their web site, it might give you a better estimate if you go back and check your account. If you're worried about it, you might be able to call in and ask.
  • Reply 851 of 853
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Are you telling me you have a way to stream DRM-free, completely legal high definition digital downloads to every room in your home without the need for any kind of playback device? Please, tell me what streaming service it is you're using that works on all of the televisions in your house without the need to purchase any additional hardware. And this DRM-free format magically works on your PS3, iPod, and the television in your basement without any kind of set top box connected to it? That's amazing! No wait, it's completely fictional.

Yeah the only way to do this would be illegal downloads to the computer and streaming to all the devices. It is unfortunate but the best digital download solution is illegal.
  • Reply 852 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Nope, I am mainly in Final Cut Pro so one wouldn't be much use there I expect ... Are they good? I may be tempted for PS work.

As for Tables I use a intous4 large but all I really needed was a medium. they ar so cool they have OLED's for express buttons 2048 points of pressurew vs 1024 on the Intous3's. I just love it But you must just use the pen for most work and yous it for a month 24/7 (aka When you are using the computer). Its a Pain but a friend told me that trick and it worked.

Krisy
  • Reply 853 of 853
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1503206]The PPI for the new displays are 202 and 208 for the 21.5? and 27? displays, respectively. In comparison the MacBook is 113 and the iPhone 163 ppi.

Resolutions -

15" G4 iMac: 1024 / 12" = 85 ppi

24" iMac: 1920 / 20.4" = 94 ppi

20" iMac: 1680 / 17.1" = 98 ppi

17" iMac: 1440 / 14.4" = 100 ppi

21.5": 1920 / 18.7" = 102 ppi

27": 2560 / 23.5" = 109 ppi

13" MacBook Pro: 1280 / 11.3" = 113 ppi

12" G4 iBook: 1024 / 9" = 114 ppi