Magic Mouse software update released

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muser View Post

Actually, that's not necessarily the case. The poster seems to be referring to the "Qwerty" keyboard.

Actually, I was referring to all keyboards, and called it 'Qwerty' as a shortcut. I know someone with a Dvorak keyboard (thankfully not named after the columnist) who can type pretty fast, but also know some people who can out-type him on a standard Qwerty. But in all cases the standard configuration of mechanical keys on a rectilinear platform (even if it's folded or bent in the middle) seems like an archaic system of interacting with a computer, and fraught with RSS issues. I'd love to see advancements to get us beyond this.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Actually, I was referring to all keyboards, and called it 'Qwerty' as a shortcut. I know someone with a Dvorak keyboard (thankfully not named after the columnist) who can type pretty fast, but also know some people who can out-type him on a standard Qwerty. But in all cases the standard configuration of mechanical keys on a rectilinear platform (even if it's folded or bent in the middle) seems like an archaic system of interacting with a computer, and fraught with RSS issues. I'd love to see advancements to get us beyond this.

• Reply 23 of 42
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Do they have the Magic Mouse available in Apple stores?

They had them in the Charlotte store this past Friday.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

its nice to see you guys are buddies

peace

I have no issues with him at all, except when he starts to derail threads -- otherwise, I find him to be quite fine! (Unfortunately, the former happens, in my estimation, about 80% of the time \).
  • Reply 25 of 42
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Are they shipping yet?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have no issues with him at all, except when he starts to derail threads -- otherwise, I find him to be quite fine! (Unfortunately, the former happens, in my estimation, about 80% of the time \).

Hey- I usually am responding to someone when I derail a thread. Not fare. Peace.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Just had shipping confirmation on my mouse, so I guess they're on the way...

Yay!
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orangetbear View Post

Yay!

Cool beans!
  • Reply 29 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I was hoping that chording keyboards or something else that fit the relaxed human hand would receive more mainstream attention by now. The old argument is that the Qwerty keyboard dominates because it's what everyone already uses and has been trained on, but these days with sophisticated small electronics I'd like to see personalized input devices that you own (kind of like a person's own set of eye glasses) that can be used to interface with any system you walk up to.

Imagine that you grab a clump of soft clay and form a blob that fits your hand. Now imbue that blob with input sensors, combinations of which can be triggered to enter Unicode into your computer. It would take some up-front training, but once you know how to 'play' the blob you should be able to enter text fairly fast, and not stress all your ligaments in the process.

Chording keyboards have been around for some time, if you want one, it's not a problem to get one. Complaining that it hasn't been widely accepted doesn't do much good. I'm not convinced that chording is time efficient or worthwhile except in edge cases. Other specialized input devices are available, mostly for disability reasons. The device just needs to conform to USB HID or Bluetooth HID standards, and any computer you walk up to should accept it when plugged in or paired.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    As a follow-up, I borrowed my office mates magic mouse and downloaded the driver image. When I tried to run the installer it stated I needed SL version 10.6.2 to install. That'll be tough considering 10.6.2 isn't released yet.

Hmmmmmm.

I need the Apple version of apt-get install --force-install . . .
  • Reply 31 of 42
    The magic mouse is a piece of crap! I've tested it out. This is the case where apple has engineered a solution looking for a problem. It's over-engineered for a relatively simple pointing device. It's form over function.

Multi-touch is a gimmick. Finger swiping gives you less control than a wheel. The two finger swipe controls forward/backward in Safari doesn't work well. It"s aggravating. Requires too much effort and is not sensitive. Two finger touch requires you to curl you fingers to the middle of the mouse. It's awkward, since you fingers naturally rest at the top of the mouse. The mouse is too light. It would not stay put when swiping. It needs more grip on the bottom.

Most OEMs give you a cheap mouse and keyboard with you pc. Mice and keyboards are very personal tools. Everyone's comfort levels are different. Apple has given us two very expensive disfunctional periferals. Apple has taken away functionality in the wireless keyboard (numeric pad). The mouse is troublesome at best. It won't work with windows. How do you scroll on a pc?

This is as bad as apple's puck mouse and original imac keyboard. This is beyond a joke. Why does apple continue to offer poor mice.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orangetbear View Post

Yay!

Me too
  • Reply 33 of 42
    this update might fix certain Bluetooth glitches for older BT devices besides the Magic Mouse...

here is what I am thinking... It almost seems like Apple is sneaking a cryptic OS update addressing a wide range of Bluetooth issues to us in the form of a software package for a new Apple-branded mouse!...

read the rest:

http://dougitdesign.com/blog/2009/10...tooth-devices/
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

The magic mouse is a piece of crap! I've tested it out. This is the case where apple has engineered a solution looking for a problem. It's over-engineered for a relatively simple pointing device. It's form over function.

Multi-touch is a gimmick. Finger swiping gives you less control than a wheel. The two finger swipe controls forward/backward in Safari doesn't work well. It"s aggravating. Requires too much effort and is not sensitive. Two finger touch requires you to curl you fingers to the middle of the mouse. It's awkward, since you fingers naturally rest at the top of the mouse. The mouse is too light. It would not stay put when swiping. It needs more grip on the bottom.

Most OEMs give you a cheap mouse and keyboard with you pc. Mice and keyboards are very personal tools. Everyone's comfort levels are different. Apple has given us two very expensive disfunctional periferals. Apple has taken away functionality in the wireless keyboard (numeric pad). The mouse is troublesome at best. It won't work with windows. How do you scroll on a pc?

This is as bad as apple's puck mouse and original imac keyboard. This is beyond a joke. Why does apple continue to offer poor mice.

Um, this mouse is excellent actually. The way it scrolls with speed sensitivity, it acts more like a track ball, being able to flick once to the bottom of a very long web page or move lightly to travel a small distance. The swipe is easy, not sure where you are having a problem. It is very elegant and tracks nicely. It is not a "power mouse" with six thousand buttons ( I have never seen the need for that in my day to day FCP work) but for a standard shipped mouse with every desktop Mac, it is unbelievably good. It's great on a Final Cut Timeline where you can wing that thing right to the end in one fast swipe instead of burning rubber with your scroll ball. Nothing to clean either. No parts. I love it.

The Mighty Mouse was a little crap in that you had to know some kind of voodoo to get the right click to work and the scroll wheel kept gumming up, but it was a very nice concept that led us to the Magic Mouse. For a "comes with every Mac" mouse, I give it 5 stars. For a power mouse, you should just buy a power mouse if that's your thing. I hope this helps those who are deciding.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

I see it more like the mighty mouse, great potential, but the execution isn't quite there. With the exception of the weight, it has at least the potential of having its faults corrected through software. Hopefully Apple will be willing to listen this time.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

Just because you are Andre The Giant and you need a bucket-sized mouse doesn't mean the rest of us do too.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

Um, this mouse is excellent actually. The way it scrolls with speed sensitivity, it acts more like a track ball, being able to flick once to the bottom of a very long web page or move lightly to travel a small distance. The swipe is easy, not sure where you are having a problem. It is very elegant and tracks nicely. It is not a "power mouse" with six thousand buttons ( I have never seen the need for that in my day to day FCP work) but for a standard shipped mouse with every desktop Mac, it is unbelievably good. It's great on a Final Cut Timeline where you can wing that thing right to the end in one fast swipe instead of burning rubber with your scroll ball. Nothing to clean either. No parts. I love it.

The Mighty Mouse was a little crap in that you had to know some kind of voodoo to get the right click to work and the scroll wheel kept gumming up, but it was a very nice concept that led us to the Magic Mouse. For a "comes with every Mac" mouse, I give it 5 stars. For a power mouse, you should just buy a power mouse if that's your thing. I hope this helps those who are deciding.

Look I went to my local apple store to test the new magic mouse. After 3 minutes of using the little beauty I was having multiple orgasms. I must have ejaculated all over the monitor from the cheer tactile pleasure that is was using this instrument of perfection. I went back to my home and ordered it online. I am counting the days until my magic little mouse arrives so we can be happy together.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Better question: Why do Neanderthals continue to try to advance to the next stage of civilization? The result is always the same. Just re-read your post

Its not the mouse. Its you.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    One of the reviewers on the Apple website gave it a negative review and said "try holding your iPhone like a mouse with your fingertips on the sides and pretend you're using it as a mouse... that's how this feels".

Yes. That's how it feels. But that's how I hold every mouse I've ever used.

Contrary to the belief of many, mice aren't supposed to touch the palm of your hand. That's why so many people are getting carpal tunnel!

The people who say this mouse is ergonomically incorrect are still holding a mouse like they are children with tiny hands. If you learn to hold a mouse properly, with the fingertips, i'm sure you'll never go back to the "kindergarten" way again.

I used the Magic Mouse at an Apple Reseller and it feels perfect.

The only real criticism is the lack of the exposé button and dashboard button. Which will be addressed in a software update.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    just picked up the magic mouse from local apple store. downloaded and installed the software without issue and the mouse is running perfect on my mac mini. to answer someone's previous question about which macs... it requires a mac with bluetooth.

the mouse is great, but the one drawback on my end is that you can't change the second click to a keystroke. minor issue, but i've used the second button as the "option" key for years, so it'll take some adjustment.