Mac OS X 10.6.2 to update nearly 150 Snow Leopard components

Comments

• Reply 101 of 168
    Is someone remembering the tones of bugs that 10.5.0 had and how the issues have been solved with 10.5.2 two months later ?
  • Reply 102 of 168
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Why all of this concern about the guest account? If you don't need it, you should be turning off the guest account anyway. Problem solved.

There are some of us who have friends and family who come over to your houses.

Also, if this had been an issue with windows, you guys would never let it go. It happens with Apple, its "no big deal, everything that goes wrong is the users fault anyway".
  • Reply 103 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlanJAPAN View Post

Is someone remembering the tones of bugs that 10.5.0 had and how the issues have been solved with 10.5.2 two months later ?

Yes. Compared to Panther and Tiger, Leopard was a very problematic. I recall that they switched up some key points of OS the last minute right before going Gold. That stuff wasn?t mostly ironed out until 10.5.2, as you state. SL wsa pretty solid from the developer Beta in many ways. I was using it as my main OS since April or May. I?ve never done with other OS X Betas.
  • Reply 104 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

There are some of us who have friends and family who come over to your houses.

You can bypass any potential problem with this bad but very rare bug by simply making your own Guest account without using the default.

Quote:

Also, if this had been an issue with windows, you guys would never let it go. It happens with Apple, its "no big deal, everything that goes wrong is the users fault anyway".

Or completely forget about it happening on Windows. With all the problems with Windows over the years I’m sure I’ve read about Windows corrupting files but have simply lost it in all the other stuff that happens to Windows. It is a big deal for OS X because this kind of thing is uncommon. It’s not a big deal because it can’t possibly affect many people and recreating the bug has proven to be difficult. Should it fixed? Absolutely, but Apple hasn’t exactly jumped up on this like other threats and issued an immediate patch. You have to figure they have assessed the situation.

I think that a worse bug was the old password buffer bug. With early version(s) of Mac OS X, if you filled the password input buffer (I forget how many characters that is) it would log you in. That affected the security of every Mac.
  • Reply 105 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antosh View Post

Anyone know if the OS updates ever include RAW compatibility changes, or are these only delivered separately as the 'Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Updates'?

I've just got a Panasonic GF1 and not only does Aperture not yet support the Panasonic RW2 raw format, but somehow Apple have managed to break DNG-from-Panasonics support in Mac OS/Preview/Aperture (in update 2.6) - so even if I use Adobe DNG convertor, the resulting DNGs aren't recognised!

Alternatively, anyone know of a workaround for this? It's driving me up the wall since I really don't like the obvious option, Lightroom...

Thanks

this was talked about on a macbreak - sorry, I forget the show # off hand...

it's panasonic & the way they are coding / releasing the info. they have told apple nothing nor provided any concrete info on setting support up for OS X.
  • Reply 106 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

>> That's just plain wrong. Snow Leopard is the best Mac OS so far.

You are right, SL is great. I'm just mad at all my other applications since they decided to start crashing randomly after September 2009.

It's not random. Apple made a conscious effort to corrupt key files so you'd want to upgrade.

And if you think I believe that...I have swampland in the Sahara for sale.

Seriously....there are a lot of DBs that no matter what...will poopoo anything. It's their nature. Using the lightbulb analogy...if they have a lightbulb burn out right after installing SL...SL will be blamed. Couldn't have been a coincidence. SL could actually jump out and lick their ball sack and it would still be a crappy OS because it didn't lick both sides equally. Nothing will please these people except death. That's how miserable an existence they have. They just have not figured that out yet.

I'd also venture a guess a few are actually Windows fanboys who will have their forums visited by Mac fans to poopoo Windows 7. It's just a game they play.

I've been using SL on a fresh install, data migrated using MA without any of the issues that some have seen. Of course I didn't have any of the crap installed that many have...the OS, GUI, Menu etc etc hacks installed. So nothing to break.
  • Reply 107 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by main1event View Post

Hopefully they'll be bug fixes for mail. Even the Apple Boards are full of problems. My mail constantly downloads thousands of repeat emails. It apparently happens when 2 mail clients are checking the server at the same time.

what kind of accts are people having issues with - IMAP or POP?

just set up my gmail acct this week. no issues so far, but I only used the web interface. unless you have a good IMAP acct, usually not a good idea to use 2 clients. 1 client setup & the web interface is usually worked out the best for me.
  • Reply 108 of 168
    Apple's quality is typically very high. However, Snow Leopard has more problems than previous Mac releases and was probably put on the market a bit too early.

I also do think it is partly Apple's problem if they bring out a release unexpectedly early, and have not certified the key applications with their main 3rd party suppliers like Canon and HP. In particular if drivers for printers/scanners they sold me in the Apple store a couple of months previously don't work at all. his was fixed with the first patch release but very annoying at the time.

One interesting thing is the variety of comments ranging from it crashes all the time to it is very stable. Like most software which is claimed to be faster its using more memory. Anyone without 2Gb of memory is likely to see degraded rather than faster response times. I have now added memory to go from 1Gb to 2Gb and performance is back to regular Leopard speed.

There are still obvious problems with Apples own apps. Safari crashes regularly with multiple windows open, IPhoto often goes crazy when you edit photos and changes all the colors, and I still get a scenario where the screen goes completely black every couple of days and only a reboot fixes it. Really hoping they will fix these in new release.
  • Reply 109 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FitzGerald View Post

I just beg that they fix the Open GL system. Performance in gaming has dropped, I can't get more than 60 FPS in games.

ok, not to troll, but this is stupid anyway... almost none of the displays in the consumer market right now refresh faster than 60hz, so +60 fps is a waste.

not to mention you are not going to see a difference over 30 or 60 anway, that's what broadcast tv runs at.

60 fps is all you need, turn up the detail rendering & enjoy the game.
  • Reply 110 of 168
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

Apple's quality is typically very high. However, Snow Leopard has more problems than previous Mac releases and was probably put on the market a bit too early.

Leopard had problems - Snow Leopard in my opinion has been the best release ever.
  • Reply 111 of 168
    Wow. Good thing they spent all that time bringing out an OS focused on stability and reliability
  • Reply 112 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

From the first Mac OS X....

You notice improvement and enhancement.... So far Leopard is the best, and Snow Leopard sucks...

Crash all the time, and make everything else crash...

And has become like Microsoft Windows, whopping tons of memory for nothing....

Worst OS by far....

Leopard is the best....

I'd only agree in so far as each new release becomes more and more of an UI abomination. For God sakes Apple come up with a consistent set of interface guidelines and STICK TO THEM!!!
  • Reply 113 of 168
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes. Compared to Panther and Tiger, Leopard was a very problematic. I recall that they switched up some key points of OS the last minute right before going Gold. That stuff wasn’t mostly ironed out until 10.5.2, as you state. SL wsa pretty solid from the developer Beta in many ways. I was using it as my main OS since April or May. I’ve never done with other OS X Betas.

Absolutely not.

Toughest problems were brought up by GraphicUpdate 1.0. It was not fixed until X.5.6 (neither is it fixed so far, the graphic driver exceptions are still seen in system log). Only Adobe CS issues were quickly fixed by X.5.2.

But SL is a real disaster as compared to any other release of OS X.

I can't guess though what exactly it changes for fanboism: X.5.2 or X.5.6...
  • Reply 114 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Absolutely not.

Your personal experience not withstanding, Leopard was considerably more problematic than SL out of the gate.
  • Reply 115 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Leopard had problems - Snow Leopard in my opinion has been the best release ever.

You mean besides breaking Exposé and window screenshots of fullscreen windows right?

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7...problemss1.png

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/333...91029at904.png
  • Reply 116 of 168
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your personal experience not withstanding, Leopard was considerably more problematic than SL out of the gate.

Care to prove? No. Leopard was never "more problematic", than SL. It has more to do with complaints on all forums that with my personal experience.
  • Reply 117 of 168
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Care to prove? No. Leopard was never "more problematic", than SL. It has more to do with complaints on all forums that with my personal experience.

No. Nobody cares to prove this. Either accept it or move out of the way.
  • Reply 118 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Actually, Archive and install brings over system preferences (often the conveyance of haxies).

Actually, no. First of all, the default upgrade option for Snow Leopard is effectively the same as the old Archive and Install, in that it creates an entirely new System folder. It also segregates (disables) kernel extensions which it doesn't recognize. Second, system preferences are text files which, on their own, are completely inert.

Quote:

And I thought Archive and Install was eliminated in 10.6 - if you know where it is, pass it on...

Sort of. It's now the default method. Which only makes the mythical "clean install" that much less useful.
  • Reply 119 of 168
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I always do a clean install for a new OS. I do it for my clients as well.

To date, the stats look something like this, although I don't have exact numbers.

Updates over the last 10 years:

Fresh install: Zero Problems

Update install: 80% will have problems within 3 months, 95% will have problems within 6 months.

Out of the 300-400 machines that i've worked on for people over the last decade with OSX, the clean install has proven flawless for OS stability. Those that did an upgrade usually had problems with speed, random crashing, application compatibility, network issue's etc... and eventually came to me for help. Those that did two major OS upgrades, (4 years with no wipe) have a 100% fail rate from my experience.

ALWAYS do a fresh install.

1. Backup files

- Safari Bookmarks folder

- Address Book

- Calendar

- email folder

- iPhoto

2. Zero the HDD

3. Install OS

4. Replace Safari bookmarks folder, use import feature to import mail folder, address book etc...

5. Install current versions of software ie. Office 2008

6. Make sure you update all software ie. Office 2008

7. Enjoy a fast and trouble free computer for the next 2 years.

Takes 4 or 5 hours, but considering how much time is wasted over a period of 2 years with crashing and random problems... it's well worth it. That, and your files are backed up, and it feels good to have a fresh start.

Anyways, I bought a 10k rpm Velociraptor drive for my Mac Pro to put SL on to play with. Daaaam it's fast. Only problem so far is a few random video freeze's that kill the whole system. nVidea 8800gt card. Safari needs work and crashes lots. FF rocks thou.

Still using leopard for production, but the migration is almost complete. Maybe this next update will complete my migration.
  • Reply 120 of 168
    Alternate view: I have been upgrading Macs for years and years now, and have always used the standard upgrade option. During that time I have had exactly ONE problem (bad Logitech driver), which was fixed quickly and painlessly with an Archive and Install. I have never, even once, been forced to Erase and Install. I am still waiting for someone to explain exactly what that procedure actually accomplishes.