Apple TV 3.0 software update to support iTunes LP, Extras

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has updated the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions to reference a forthcoming 3.0 software update for the Apple TV, which will allow viewing of iTunes LP and iTunes Extras content.

The new paragraph under the "iTUNES LP AND iTUNES EXTRAS" section references an update to Apple's set-top box hobby: "iTunes LP and iTunes Extras Products are usable only on computers with iTunes 9 or higher and Apple TV with software version 3.0 or higher."

The new iTunes LP format, which debuted in September, is designed to encourage sales of full-length albums. The new format comes with additional content such as photos, videos and other bonus material. The iTunes LP format was joined by iTunes Extras, which delivers bonus materials for movies, much like are traditionally found on DVDs.

The TuneKit JavaScript framework on which both are based uses open Web standards like HTML and CSS. AppleInsider originally reported in September that the new format appeared to have Apple TV written all over it.

TuneKit content is designed for a 1280 by 720 pixel resolution, which is too large to play on the 13-inch MacBook Pro without entering full-screen mode. But it does exactly fit the HDTV output resolution of Apple TV, and could even scale down to a 480p display.

In addition, the TuneKit format includes references in its HTML meta tags to "hdtv-fullscreen" and "hdtv-cursor-off."

The last major update to the Apple TV was when the "Take Two" 2.0 firmware was released at Macworld Expo in January 2008. The next major update is expected to incorporate features of Snow Leopard, including QuickTime X and its HTTP Live Streaming protocol.

This summer, analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray reiterated his belief that a new Apple TV with iTunes TV show subscriptions and potential DVR capabilities would eventually arrive from the hardware maker. He said the timing of a new hardware debut would likely be impacted by the negotiations Apple would need to conduct in order to have the rights to offer a subscription model. Munster said he believes a new Apple TV or updated Apple TV software will arrive within the next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    I'm definitely in the market for an Apple TV, I'm excited to see when\\if they roll out an updated model. For my own sake, I hope Gene is right this time.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I'm definitely in the market for an Apple TV, I'm excited to see when\\if they roll out an updated model. For my own sake, I hope Gene is right this time.

We've had one since day one and used it most weekends for either watching a rented HD movie or streaming home made HD movies, slide shows or simply iTunes playlists for parties. I don't know how I lived without it. I just hope my original ATV can deal with the new updates. BTW we never bother downloading anything to it, I just stream anything from Mac Pro via Airport Extreme, 802.11n made the download method obsolete and so too worries about the HD capacity in an ATV. My only issue and it is not ATV's fault, is I get a fair amount of PAL material and the frame rate issue is a pain. I am messing around with FCPro 3 now to see if there is an easy way to convert and keep audio in sync. Any suggestions appreciated.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I, too, am interested. I need to wait and see (once I set up my new network) if the PS3 can call to my Mac Pro to wake it for media through that new wake on wireless lan. I'm guessing not. If that's the case, I would definitely be in the market for an ATV with the decision being much easier with a hardware update to accompany 3.0.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    DVR would be nice but I don't see it happening.

I'm more than satisfied with my EyeTV as a DVR. Records clear QAM. Streams to my iPhone or another Mac. Very simple interface and easy to remove commercials. Great product.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I'm more than satisfied with my EyeTV as a DVR. Records clear QAM. Streams to my iPhone or another Mac. Very simple interface and easy to remove commercials. Great product.

Yea I'm more interested in the possible subscription TV model. I don't watch much TV but the shows I do watch I'm not usually around at the time they're on. It would be nice to be able to watch whatever show I wanted, when I wanted. (Without having to get expensive cable with a DVR service.)

Oh, and the shows would have to be HD, since now that I've gone HD I don't see myself going back.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Blu-ray not coming to AppleTV. You likely already have a player with your PS3 or Blu-ray appliance so why add another player to the mix. Besides, the AppleTV has a different purpose.

2) Is v3.0 supposed to come soon or is this just a rumor that might come with new HW, too.

3) is it going to not just update some files change the entire OS from being Tiger-based to being Snow Leopard-based?

4) If it’s adding TunesLP support, and we have Touches and iPhones can that be used as remotes with QWERTY keyboards, hopefully they will add regular Safari support. I’d wager no, because they means they’d have to install Flash for desktop-like page viewing and that would mean Netflix and Hulu could eat into their digital downloads revenue. Though I’m not even sure you can play decent flash video on that 1GHz Intel CPU in the current AppleTV.

5) Hopefully seasons of TV Shows and movies from the iTunes Store will use the iTunesLP format to create interactive rich media like we’ve been getting with optical media. That is the one thing I miss from time to time, outside of the occasional movie that I want to see in super high def.

Quote:

Or access to Hulu or Netlfix. All three of these would be great, but they probably interfere with Apple’s sensibilities too much. Then again, this may be the last chance for Apple to grab hold of the living room.

In honour of HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED being banned for 3 days I’ll post for him…

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED

No Blu-ray! No deal!

Thanks again, Mr. H.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    C'mon, Apple, let's see a hardware update for this thing. You've got absolute gold here, so exploit it.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Yes my ATV is the heart of entertainment in my house. It is the best media player ever devised no question.

The update does nothing for me, however, as everything we own is pirated and we never buy anything from iTunes.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post

The update does nothing for me, however, as everything we own is pirated and we never buy anything from iTunes.

Ah, so by "own" you actually mean "stole."
  • Reply 10 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In honour of HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED being banned for 3 days I?ll post for him?

Hey get with the program will ya!
  • Reply 11 of 112
    Quote:

I too, am very happy with my AppleTV and also use eyetv....but I can't seem to get eyetv to record in anything but 4:3 ratio. Pretty frustrating on my flat screen and do you know if eyetv can record HD channels?

Thanks for the info.

PS. If AppleTV comes out with DVR I will definitely buy one....
  • Reply 12 of 112
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new paragraph under the "iTUNES LP AND iTUNES EXTRAS" section ...

As an AppleTV owner and someone who buys a *lot* of music almost exclusively in album form this is great news. I find it unfortunate however that only a couple of big popular albums and a lot of boring dinosaur rock stuff has been transitioned to the format.

I'd like to see this become a standard multimedia container for books and other materials and for Apple to somehow ensure that the average person could put their content into the format and sell it through iTunes.

*That* would be transformative.

So far and for the most part, this is just yet another way to push old albums by dead or soon to be dead rock stars of the past, or to get people unnaturally excited about the latest dreck from Britney Spears or Beyonce.

Let's hope it becomes something more than the useless crap that sit's on the "extras" menu of the average DVD.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    I agree with the previous posts...once you have HD it's terribly hard to go back.

Is BluRay that much superior to HD?

AppleTV is a delight to use with photos, music, viewing recorded TV shows (a la eyeTV), and of course, HD movies.

As far as photos, my girlfriend and her daughters are just amazed at AppleTV. We view the photos so much more than when they were just on a computer or way back when in photo albums. (Did I say photo albums, I meant, shoe boxes!)

With just the Ken Burns effect and a little light music behind it's as mesmerizing as having a salt water fish tank or a fireplace on a cold november night. I really recommend it! AppleTV that is, not a saltwater aquarium!

• Reply 14 of 112
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree with the previous posts...once you have HD is terribly hard to go back.

Is BluRay that superior to HD?

Yes, it is. BTW, Blu-ray is HD too. 1080/60p vs. AppleTV's 720/60p.

AppleTV is a delight to use with photos, music, viewing recorded TV shows (a la eyeTV), and of course, HD movies.

I like my AppleTV for music and photos as well, but it's main purpose is as a music server for my house music system.

As far as photos, my girlfriend and her daughters are just amazed at AppleTV. We view the photos so much more than when they were just on a computer or way back when in photo albums. (Did I say photo albums, I meant, shoe boxes!)

Though I have an AppleTV, I find myself streaming all my content to my PS-3 as it can handle more formats at higher resolutions than the AppleTV.
  • Reply 15 of 112
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

...and do you know if eyetv can record HD channels?

I have the 250 Plus and it can record 16:9 stuff. I don't have a digital cable box so I only use it to record clear QAM for my local channels the cable provider sends. I don't know if the resulting recordings are considered truly HD or not but they look great on my 46" HD tv.

That said, football looks a little weird after converting to h.264, definitely noticeable compared to what the EyeTV lays down as its recording.

Can't tell you much more without knowing what your EyeTV is pulling from...

btw- certain 250 Plus units could NOT record clear QAM, then the hardware was updated so it could. same model name though.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post

Yes my ATV is the heart of entertainment in my house. It is the best media player ever devised no question.

Then you're an idiot.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    agaaga Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

?only issue and it is not ATV's fault, is I get a fair amount of PAL material and the frame rate issue is a pain. I am messing around with FCPro 3 now to see if there is an easy way to convert and keep audio in sync. Any suggestions appreciated.

FCPro 3 sounds like a lot of work.

May not work, but try converting files to mp4 using either or both of the following:

HandBrake

VLC

Let me know what your results are.

Good Luck
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Quote:

do you know if eyetv can record HD channels?

I record BBC HD no problem on Freesat with my EyeTV 310. Love it!
  • Reply 19 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Though I have an AppleTV, I find myself streaming all my content to my PS-3 as it can handle more formats at higher resolutions than the AppleTV.

Thanks, Rob, for the clarification on the BluRay/HD....now that prices are coming down I'm considering getting a Blu-Ray player to play new releases I can get from my local library.

Don't think I can justify $30 a pop for a disc just yet....except for may Alien, The Thing and latest installments of the James Bond movies with Daniel Craig.

Best!
  • Reply 20 of 112
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Quote:

Thanks, Rob, for the clarification on the BluRay/HD....now that prices are coming down I'm considering getting a Blu-Ray player to play new releases I can get from my local library.

Don't think I can justify $30 a pop for a disc just yet....except for may Alien, The Thing and latest installments of the James Bond movies with Daniel Craig.

Best!

Bluray is pointless given that one can watch a bluray movie for free on an apple TV.