Do you recommend AppleCare?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering whom out there has experience with AppleCare? Do you recommend spending the money? Would you do it all over again if given the chance? Can you sign up for it sometime during the first year or is it only right from the start? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I've had to take my last couple Macs in for service multiple times. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I've been being in IT for my entire life. So it's only natural, that I saw no use in buying AppleCare. I've been owning several macs in my household and always serviced (including quite serious fixes and upgrades) them myself.

Yet, I missed AppleCare once. Sure, I've managed to find diagnostic and repair utility, which I needed, elsewhere. But software having come with AppleCare plan was still better.

Conclusively, I still see no utility of AppleCare for myself, but it may be a must for average Mac user. Macs are just computers. They become sick just as any other computers do.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    For a notebook, I would recommend AppleCare, especially if you are clumsy. For a desktop, probably not. In 15+ years I've had more than 10 macs (6 laptops, a bunch of desktops) , and not one has ever had a problem requiring AppleCare within the 3 year service period. The desktops have never had problems at all. Granted, I typically sell my macs before too long (4-5 years) but I still have a working PowerBook 180c in a drawer under my desk. I play Flying Toasters on it, occasionally, to impress visitors.

99% percent of problems with computers are hard disk problems. If you are an IT guy, this should not be a problem.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I recommend Apple Care if you feel you need it because the service is really fantastic (confusing?). I have three Macs, iPod and iPhone and have only needed it once over a 5 year period for an iPod that died.

It should be noted that Apple is really good at repairing stuff even if it has scratches on it or if you (and by "you" I mean "me") drop it and it breaks but doesn't really looked dropped.

There was a study done a while back that said if a hard drive fails (the most likely component to fail), it's far more likely to fail within 1 year than it is to fail in 3 years. The first year is the most important year.

Also, you can buy Apple Care anytime during your first year of owning your Apple device.

So, yes for iPods (especially iPod Classic) and iPhones, no for anything else that has worked fine for the first year of ownership, IMHO
  • Reply 5 of 17
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjkelley View Post

I was wondering whom out there has experience with AppleCare? Do you recommend spending the money? Would you do it all over again if given the chance? Can you sign up for it sometime during the first year or is it only right from the start? Thanks.

If you plan on keeping your Mac more than 1 year it is absolutely essential. If you don't get it, and something goes wrong in the 2nd and 3rd year, you'll feel quite a lot of regret.

AppleCare has saved me quite a number of times through the years.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    My first mac was an iBook G4 which I got through work (the UK's Home Computing Initiative Scheme). It came bundled with Applecare which I never used. The only repair needed came 4 months after the Applecare expired and it was only £50 (the power connector needed replacing).

My current mac is a 2.8 GHz 15 inch MBP (June 09). Given the size of investment I decided to opt for Applecare again as it was about 15% of the MBP's purchase price. However when my girlfriend bougth a 13 inch MBP a couple of months ago, I advised against the Applecare as it was 22% of MBP purchase price, which is a little heavy.

Whether you need it depends on;

- How you are going to use your product? (How much, where, etc)

- How much computer experience you have? (would you be comfortable fixing things yourself)

- Whether you think a couple of service repairs are likely to be required, and if so, are they likely to cost more than applecare.

It really comes down to personal preference. No different to any insurance policy where you need to trade off levels of payouts, excess charges, etc against the cost of insurance.

Phil
  • Reply 7 of 17
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I've been being in IT for my entire life. So it's only natural, that I saw no use in buying AppleCare. I've been owning several macs in my household and always serviced (including quite serious fixes and upgrades) them myself.

Yet, I missed AppleCare once. Sure, I've managed to find diagnostic and repair utility, which I needed, elsewhere. But software having come with AppleCare plan was still better.

Conclusively, I still see no utility of AppleCare for myself, but it may be a must for average Mac user. Macs are just computers. They become sick just as any other computers do.

Great, pat yourself on the back some more. How useful do you honestly think your answer is? If this person was capable of repairing Macs, including your "seriouz repairz", do you honestly think he'd be asking if AppleCare was necessary?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    No, as a general rule. Extended warranties are a form of insurance, which is always priced to assure that over time you'll pay more for the premium than the service you may get from it. Keep in mind also that extended warranties are very profitable for the sellers, so you are getting about the worst deal possible in the entire insurance business by purchasing them. The rule of thumb on insurance should be to insure yourself against losses that you could not pay yourself if they occurred. Maybe this includes your Mac, maybe it doesn't. Think about it.

Other issues to keep in mind in making this decision:

-You are automatically covered for one year (in the U.S.). Most electronics that fail, will fail within the first few months of use.

-At the end of three years, the replacement value of your Mac is maybe half what is was when new. How does the price of AppleCare look now, relative the value of the computer?

-If your Mac was to go belly-up near the end of your AppleCare policy, would you prefer to fix the old computer, or would you prefer to have the cost of the policy in-hand to apply to a new one?

-Apple charges far more to repair Macs than third-party shops. As a result, you should take the "what AppleCare saved me" claims with a grain of salt.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

No, as a general rule. Extended warranties are a form of insurance, which is always priced to assure that over time you'll pay more for the premium than the service you may get from it. Keep in mind also that extended warranties are very profitable for the sellers, so you are getting about the worst deal possible in the entire insurance business by purchasing them. The rule of thumb on insurance should be to insure yourself against losses that you could not pay yourself if they occurred. Maybe this includes your Mac, maybe it doesn't. Think about it.

Other issues to keep in mind in making this decision:

-You are automatically covered for one year (in the U.S.). Most electronics that fail, will fail within the first few months of use.

-At the end of three years, the replacement value of your Mac is maybe half what is was when new. How does the price of AppleCare look now, relative the value of the computer?

-If your Mac was to go belly-up near the end of your AppleCare policy, would you prefer to fix the old computer, or would you prefer to have the cost of the policy in-hand to apply to a new one?

-Apple charges far more to repair Macs than third-party shops. As a result, you should take the "what AppleCare saved me" claims with a grain of salt.

How about the Apple Care policies available via 3rd party on ebay?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ravinder View Post

How about the Apple Care policies available via 3rd party on ebay?

If you feel you must buy AppleCare, you should pay the lowest possible price for it, but the reasoning for buying it (or not) shouldn't change.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Great, pat yourself on the back some more. How useful do you honestly think your answer is? If this person was capable of repairing Macs, including your "seriouz repairz", do you honestly think he'd be asking if AppleCare was necessary?

I think my answer is quite useful.

If you cared to read both OP and my answer, you would see, that my answer states, AppleCare may come in handy even for an experienced and skilled guy. And it gives the example. AppleCare is virtually a must for people from worlds different from IT.

The topic starter asked us about our experience, not about all existing theories on the AppleCare plan. Careful reader may also note all responders are quite coherent in their answers, sure except you.

So, noisy nooby, please shut up and don't annoy me anymore.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    For $120 you get peace of mind for all of those "what ifs," "lemons," and "just in cases" for the next 3 years. If you're already dropping $1500-$3000, the real question is, "Why not?"

-wmt
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Because it's a lousy deal?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Because it's a lousy deal?

Not if your Mac breaks. Most Ive Macs require the local Apple store to completely take them apart for even minor issues that are usually user serviceable. You could maybe get away with it with the Mac pro, but I still wouldn't chance it.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjkelley View Post

I highly recommend AppleCare. As most know, "stuff" happens, if or when it does, AppleCare is your safety net. Yes, I recommend spending a little money now, or possibly a bunch of money later. I purchase AppleCare on every Apple product if offered. You have the option of picking up AppleCare anytime during the first year. If you purchase it and never need it, cool beans. If you don't purchase it and need it, well, you know .
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Not if your Mac breaks. Most Ive Macs require the local Apple store to completely take them apart for even minor issues that are usually user serviceable. You could maybe get away with it with the Mac pro, but I still wouldn't chance it.

And life insurance is a great deal if you die. Just so people know (not common knowledge for some reason), insurance premiums are priced so the seller makes money, and the insurers know how much to charge in order to make money. Extended warranties are one of the most profitable forms of insurance sold. Consumer Reports calls them a rip-off.

I believe I outlined a reasonable, rational strategy for deciding whether or not to buy AppleCare, but I know that most people will ignore a rational strategy in favor of how it makes them feel. So be it, I guess. I also pointed out above that Apple substantially inflates their repair prices in order to make AppleCare seem like a better deal than it actually is.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    YES YES YES YES YES

my macbook just got back after 3 days, great great great service, picked up and delivered via fedex

they replaced the mother board,graphics, backlight, now my macbook screen went black and would not start and they fixed the flicker just before sleep

4 months ago they replaced my optical drive, a simple call 2 minute wait etc

you can save some money by buying from apple a refurbished product and buy applecare same 3 year protection