Apple releases Apple TV 3.0 software with redesigned interface

Comments

• Reply 21 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Most people don't use them though, so it's not that big a deal unless you are one of the developers.

I'm not that sure... considering the Apple TV is pretty much useless without nitotv or boxee, I guess these guys will have to work on a new version of their software pretty soon.
  • Reply 22 of 150
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Finally can get rid of that harsh all-white background viewer!
  • Reply 23 of 150
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

While 3.0 is much needed with freshly improved UI, I am a bit underwhelmed. I was hoping for at least one major new feature, either USB external disk support, TV subscription, Netflix streaming, Hulu, or Vimeo.

I am just guessing here, but I suspect new remote will be included with updated 3.0 Apple TV packaging.

I hope the new remote is included though I'll eventually buy a Harmony remote to tie everything together.

I've resigned myself to the reality that Netflix streaming is gonna have to come through my next Blu-ray player.
  • Reply 24 of 150
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

I'm puzzled that Apple hasn't bothered to update FrontRow to match the Apple TV features. Once upon a time they were almost identical but since then Apple TV got 2 major updates and 0 for FrontRow. I don't mind using Plex but I would like iTunes Store integration.

Apple dropped updating FrontRow long ago. With the Snow Leopard release, they made QuickTime X which helps with their iTunes Store video collection, but did not update DVD Player or FrontRow. They are just old stagnant pieces of software like Sherlock was for so long.

As an aside, they didn?t update Dashboard, either. If I a conspiracist I?d say they since can?t make extra money off the widgets they don?t care about them.
  • Reply 25 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

1024 is HD. I'll be the first one in line when Apple releases a true HD model.

I believe you mean 1080, and from a definition standpoint, 720p is considered HD.

While I can tell a difference between the 720p content on my AppleTV and the 1080 content on my HD-DVDs (yeah, I was one of them), it's not significant enough to offset the absolute convenience (and cost savings) of the AppleTV.
  • Reply 26 of 150
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    I'm shocked, and a bit relieved. Yesterday based in part on the "no more holiday hardware" announcement I finally broke down and bought a mini to use as a HTPC. I'd been waiting and hoping there would be an aTV update that brought better hardware capable of 1080p and NetFlix streaming. Without those two features it's just not worth it to me to invest in hardware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

This is a full point upgrade? I would appreciate some new features in regards to content. DVD Extras aren't exactly going to do it for me. How about a subscription service or same day release of TV Shows. This is just an incredibly weak upgrade for the nearly two years since the last major update (which that one actually was). I was way more excited when the iPhone/Touch remote came out than this.

It's just like iTunes... we're on what version 9! It should be version 6 at most...
  • Reply 27 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

One minor peeve: There are few things worse than viewing your favorite band on Youtube looking horribly pixelated on a 46-inch flat panel screen. Surely there must be a way that @TV can enable transmission of a smaller-sized image on to the screen? Please?

YouTube HD may resolve your issues well enough.
  • Reply 28 of 150
    Thanks Apple for another boring update!
  • Reply 29 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

While I can tell a difference between the 720p content on my AppleTV and the 1080 content on my HD-DVDs (yeah, I was one of them), it's not significant enough to offset the absolute convenience (and cost savings) of the AppleTV.

Couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 30 of 150
    Hmmm... I guess an upgrade was needed and certainly some things are easier to nav, but I am more than a little disappointed.

I think the interface is certainly useable, but it looks pretty lame.

The weighting on the screen is off and everything looks disjointed. Obviously, the main thing is function and it has that down fairly well - and really never lacked it. But the form has taken a nosedive. It looks very Windowsesque and very amateurish. Like someone in Photoshop class made the mockup.

Overrall, with iTunes LP as well, I truly hope this does NOT represent an intended design direction on the part of Apple. Apple TV looks like a Joomla Internet media module (if it functions like one, great. but please don't make it LOOK like one). And the iTunes software now lays out like Zune software, which itself looks like a cheap blog website.

Apple must stay on top in terms of function and I get that, but they have always been ahead in terms of providing the best function COMBINED with exsquisite form. This is a departure from that. Sure, no organization is without hiccups. I just hope this does not represent an INTENDED design direction and is just a stopgap as they figure something better out.
  • Reply 31 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

YouTube HD may resolve your issues well enough.

True, but only a subset of videos are 'HD' on Youtube?
  • Reply 32 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

It's just like iTunes... we're on what version 9! It should be version 6 at most...

And, this really matters how? Seriously.
  • Reply 33 of 150
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I'm one who does (Boxee makes the already useful TV infinitely better: DivX support, Pandora, Last.FM, Hulu, etc) and as such will have to hold off on the update for now.

Yeah, that's too bad. The patches come out pretty quickly usually.

I just meant that all that stuff is USA only and only a small percentage of US citizens use it so it's not a big deal for Apple's customers on average. The bleeding edge folks will have to suffer as usual though.
  • Reply 34 of 150
    Well I do like this, don't get me wrong... but:

1) still no real sleep mode?! I can't stand the sound of the drive.

2) Come on Apple, make a deal with Elgato for a plug-in tuner! Sheesh, I could chuck half my AV gear if it could just tune the friggin channels! (my TV can, but SLOOOOOWLY)

Maury
  • Reply 35 of 150
    Quote:

True, but only a subset of videos are 'HD' on Youtube?

True, but it?s becoming slightly less of a problem every day. In 10 years the average video on YouTube may be 720p.
  • Reply 36 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

True, but it?s becoming slightly less of a problem every day. In 10 years the average video on YouTube may be 720p.

many inexpensive (relatively speaking) digital cameras take 720p video (or so they claim)
  • Reply 37 of 150
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

I think the addition of internet radio is very welcome.

I like my @TV overall - I got all that I paid for, and then some - but I do wish that Apple would try and take it to the next level, by making it a true multimedia hub.

One minor peeve: There are few things worse than viewing your favorite band on Youtube looking horribly pixelated on a 46-inch flat panel screen. Surely there must be a way that @TV can enable transmission of a smaller-sized image on to the screen? Please?

I agree, internet radio is long overdue, seeing as iTunes has had this for what, 8 years? So this is a good start, for now. Going forward Apple definitely needs to add in widgets for weather and news, etc., and possibly app support. I'm not sure about DVR or an optical drive, likely will never happen.

BUT...by January they really MUST update the antiquated internals. I could care less if it keeps the same form factor or not, but the ATV is in desperate need of a better graphics chip and processor (maybe an all in one SOC), not only to allow the interface to run snappily again, but to make it run much cooler and stop melting nearby objects and people. An actual on/off/sleep switch could help with this.

What do ya say Steve, hmmm?
  • Reply 38 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Well I do like this, don't get me wrong... but:

1) still no real sleep mode?! I can't stand the sound of the drive ...

As an AppleTV owner I have to say .. WTF?

I often have to stick my ear right next to it to tell if it's on or not. An AppleTV should not make any noise at all. If yours does, it's either faulty or someones fiddled with it by putting in a noisy crap drive or something.
  • Reply 39 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oddjob View Post

Thanks Apple for another boring update!

that you teckstud?
  • Reply 40 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cprail View Post

I'm not that sure... considering the Apple TV is pretty much useless without nitotv or boxee, I guess these guys will have to work on a new version of their software pretty soon.

Hyperbole much?

Seriously, less than a couple of percent of AppleTV owners use those or are even able to.