Apple releases Apple TV 3.0 software with redesigned interface

Comments

• Reply 81 of 150
    Hey can iPhoto now sync slideshows to the AppleTV?

It seems such a let down that you can only sync albums (and now events) to the AppleTV or iPhone, when you've setup a specific slideshow with the music you want, durations you want, and transitions you want.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

By not updating Front Row, I think they're missing an opportunity.

Agreed.

Better yet - have AppleTV app for the Mac, and AppleTV app for the iPhone (with dock) so that there are 3 different ways of getting AppleTV on your TV.
  • Reply 82 of 150
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

While 3.0 is much needed with freshly improved UI, I am a bit underwhelmed. I was hoping for at least one major new feature, either USB external disk support, TV subscription, Netflix streaming, Hulu, or Vimeo.

I am just guessing here, but I suspect new remote will be included with updated 3.0 Apple TV packaging.

For a FREE upgrade, I think this is a very good update.
  • Reply 83 of 150
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Nice to see "My ......" at the top of the menus now.
  • Reply 84 of 150
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Nice to see "My ......" at the top of the menus now.

This had to be stated again? and louder.
  • Reply 85 of 150
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    pretty in pink was such an amathing movie
  • Reply 86 of 150
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

LOVE IT!!

Nice quote...

• Reply 87 of 150
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

1024 is HD. I'll be the first one in line when Apple releases a true HD model.

The first (and 2nd) AppleTV were true HD.

720P is true HD.
  • Reply 88 of 150
    I have always thought that ATV's USB port should support the growing number of 2.1 speakers that source the digital sound via USB - Bose and Focal 3 for example. Anyone tried this with 3.0?
  • Reply 89 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I believe you mean 1080, and from a definition standpoint, 720p is considered HD.

While I can tell a difference between the 720p content on my AppleTV and the 1080 content on my HD-DVDs (yeah, I was one of them), it's not significant enough to offset the absolute convenience (and cost savings) of the AppleTV.

Doh! Red wine and commenting doesn't mix. Yes, 1080. I thought long and hard about my love of Apple and the clarity of Blu-Ray last year. I went with Blu-Ray. Apple needs to catch up.
  • Reply 90 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The first (and 2nd) AppleTV were true HD.

720P is true HD.

Nope. 1080P is true HD. 720P is for the cheap guys. Fox is 720 (I think still) and even Sony tried to get away with it at first. Apple is falling behind.
  • Reply 91 of 150
    Quote:

Doh! Red wine and commenting doesn't mix. Yes, 1080. I thought long and hard about my love of Apple and the clarity of Blu-Ray last year. I went with Blu-Ray. Apple needs to catch up.

LOL. I'll be starting my dose here shortly . I had the same internal debate myself last year: Apple TV or Blu-Ray. I went with the Apple TV when I did the math and saw how much money I would save over Cable. I don't regret my decision, even though I'd love the flexibility of the PS/3 as it sounds to be less strict with the formats it supports.

Quote:

Nope. 1080P is true HD. 720P is for the cheap guys. Fox is 720 (I think still) and even Sony tried to get away with it at first. Apple is falling behind.

Call me cheap then, 'cause I'm not in a hurry to upgrade to 1080p. Still, every source I've read states that HD is 720p (including the masters at Wikipedia).
  • Reply 92 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

So, you don't have any cable tv at all? I can see all the savings there if you decide not to get cable tv period, but I guess you never watch the news, live sporting events, awards shows or any random television. Unfortunately I can't breakdown the cost savings like that cause I'm only looking at the few dollar jump between SD package and HD package. Plus, I do watch alot more than just 2-3 shows per season. I have kept trying to take a serious look at ATV but always find a higher pic quality solution through other means. Blu-Ray purchase(love collecting and can't top the quality), netflix(usually get to see quality blu-ray content quicker that what the iTS makes available), just set up ps3mediaserver so I can stream all my .mkv torrent files straight through my ps3, and I have a WD HD Media Player(pic quality of which is far better than anything I've seen on an aTV, and there new live model has ethernet hook ups for streaming).

I have "Limited Basic" which gives me channels 2-29 for $14/month. In there are the local HD channels. I do miss out on Sci-Fi, USA and FX, but I really don't watch enough TV to justify the extra cost. Especially considering one month of the next tier (non-HD Digital Cable runs about $55) would pay for a subscription to a year of a series. One year of that payment would cover twelve shows! I do get news and sports and the occasional random TV. It's certainly a sacrifice, but one that makes sense for me...

Quote:

And no this isn't teckstud BTW what did he end up getting banned for?

He's got a temporary ban for insulting another member.
  • Reply 93 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As an aside, they didn?t update Dashboard, either. If I a conspiracist I?d say they since can?t make extra money off the widgets they don?t care about them.

I was wondering if iphone Apps might morph into widgets. That would be incredible. So many apps I'd love to run on my computer and or ATV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I hope the new remote is included though I'll eventually buy a Harmony remote to tie everything together.

I've resigned myself to the reality that Netflix streaming is gonna have to come through my next Blu-ray player.

You do know that ATV can learn commands from any remote right? You don't need a harmony at all. I'm using my Hitachi remote to control my ATV. Works great!

The fact that there is now an "internet" category with only two features makes me think there is much more to come. (Hulu/ Boxee support) Otherwise why the new and relatively empty column?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Well I do like this, don't get me wrong... but:

1) still no real sleep mode?! I can't stand the sound of the drive.

You can put ATV into standby under settings. MY ATV is dead quiet so you might have a bad drive.

Overall the update is a little underwhelming at first but I think it's intended to set up ATV for some great new features and integration with the tablet. After using the Iphone remote with it, it's really nice to swipe through the menus now.

C'mon Games and Apps and Tablet controller.
  • Reply 94 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

...and I have a WD HD Media Player(pic quality of which is far better than anything I've seen on an aTV, and there new live model has ethernet hook ups for streaming).

Forgot to ask what you think of the WD. I'm eying the new Popcorn Hour as it apparently supports every format imaginable, and the new device also has a drive bay for a Blu-Ray drive. But, the WD is less than half the price of the Popcorn Hour. I think it also has a coax audio connection rather than optical - that solves one of my connection issues as my receiver is out of optical ports... Otherwise, I'll probably retire the HD DVD player and put the Popcorn Hour and BD in its place (which would save me from having to install the HDMI switch I bought a few months ago).
  • Reply 95 of 150
    Quote:

I am asking as 'cheap guy': who does 1080p broadcasts?

And, what media - live or otherwise - do you consume in 1080p with the same variety and quality and choices at 720p?
  • Reply 96 of 150
    Quote:

I went with Blu-Ray. Apple needs to catch up.

Catch up to what? The tiny, irrelevant proportion of the video-consuming market that is Blu-Ray? Nah. You guys are a waste of time and money. When and if the market for guys like you is mature, large, and inexpensive enough and justifies Apple's expense and expertise, the company will be there. Just as it does with the Tablet.

In the meantime, the rest of us heathens will stay dumb, full of choices, and happy. We're in no hurry.
  • Reply 97 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is a nice little tweak.

ATV V2 would play music until you make another selection as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Hey can iPhoto now sync slideshows to the AppleTV?

I don't remember if V1 ATV software could do slideshows but V2 could; V3 certainly can.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHay View Post

I have always thought that ATV's USB port should support the growing number of 2.1 speakers that source the digital sound via USB - Bose and Focal 3 for example. Anyone tried this with 3.0?

Why do you need USB when ATV has optical? There are plenty of optical speaker kits available.

Quote:

I have "Limited Basic" which gives me channels 2-29 for $14/month. In there are the local HD channels.

Agreed; we gave up cable all together, but no I don't watch sports or propaganda, Uh I mean NEWS. I prefer to read my news; I don't need all of the extra commentary from so called "reporters". Walter Cronkite they are not any longer.

It seems expensive at first glance but if you do the math you'd be surprised how much one can rent/ buy for an equivalent cable bill and you can save all of that nasty encoding time from DVD, TIVO etc. adding art and information.

TV shows showing up the day after it airs is fast enough for me, but I guess TV is really important to some. Personally I'd rather see more movies to rent/ buy sooner.

720 vs. 1080? I can't believe some are so hung up on it. 720p at 5MB/s looks fine. Hell most of what I buy from Itunes is still SD. (Thank god Apple now offers 16*9 and no more 320 that was a real drag) Is it really that important to see ever hair on the face of your favorite star in everything you watch? Most of the time you'll only watch it once.

Enjoy the show and get past the marketing pitch. Studios and device manufacturers are only trying to soak us for another round of movie purchases. As a matter of fact it's called "multiple bites at the Apple". and it's a rather offensive phrase if you ask me because it implies that consumers are all "too stupid" to realize that they've bought the same thing 6 different ways. Stop feeding the system.
  • Reply 98 of 150
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Keep in mind that some 720p is better than other 720p. AppleTV 720p has a max bit rate of 5 Mbps. That is pretty low quality HD.
  • Reply 99 of 150
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

720p meets the HD standard, as does 1080i. 1080p wasn't in the original standard but was added later.

1080p is actually true 1080p.
  • Reply 100 of 150
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

as long as apple do not release a raid home nas to serve atv to me it's useless. I am not prepared to run the mac solely on the basis of serving to the atv. and add some pvr capabilities for crying out loud. (as far as I m aware the indepent solutions for jailbreaking and running on the apple tv do not allow that so far right?)

btw, does anyone know if the nas servers with integrated iTunes serving functionality can interface with the atv?

Can't you run AppleTV from a PC too? The PC version of iTunes should be able to connect up with it the same way.

Quote:

I believe you mean 1080, and from a definition standpoint, 720p is considered HD.

That's true.

Quote:

While I can tell a difference between the 720p content on my AppleTV and the 1080 content on my HD-DVDs (yeah, I was one of them), it's not significant enough to offset the absolute convenience (and cost savings) of the AppleTV.

Convenience, I get, but cost savings? Are you comparing buying vs. buying or comparing renting vs. buying? Also, the cost of Blu-Ray players is down to about AppleTV prices now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Who is teckstud?

You know, using multiple accounts is grounds for a permanent ban, and if that happens with multi-account user, the ground is salted as best as possible so nothing grows there again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I don't hear the drive on my AppleTV but I wish there was a sleep mode to keep the heat down. It just feels like something wrong with that thing when it is always so warm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

You can put ATV into standby under settings. MY ATV is dead quiet so you might have a bad drive.

Why isn't it set as default?