Visionary behind Apple's '1984' advertisement steps down

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lee Clow, creator of numerous legendary Apple ads including the iconic "1984" TV spot, has resigned from his position as chief creative officer at TBWA/Media Arts Lab.

For decades, the lab has handled TBWA's client Apple, bringing cultural cornerstones ranging from the "1984" ad that heralded the debut of the Macintosh computer to the more recent "Get a Mac" ads featuring actors John Hodgman as a PC and Justin Long as the Mac. According to AdAge, Clow, a personal friend of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, has stepped down from his position at age 66.

"Media Arts Lab was founded in 2006 to serve Apple, as well as embody Mr. Clow's vision of a new type of ad agency that makes culture, rather than just commercials," the report said.

TBWA was also behind Apple's "Think Different" campaign and the silhouette iPod advertisements, both made while the organization was under the helm of Clow. He has worked in advertising for more than 40 years, though his best known work has been with the Mac maker. Other memorable campaigns, according to AdAge, include the Energizer Bunny and the Taco Bell Chihuahua.

Lee Clow, photo via AdAge

Clow will be replaced by Duncan Milner, who has worked on Apple ads and been with TBWA since 1990. Milner has also done campaigns for Nissan, Levi's and Pedigree.

This year marked the 25th anniversary of the Mac, which launched with the original Macintosh 128K on Jan. 24, 1984. It was the first mainstream computer with a mouse pointer, windowed desktop, icons and folders priced at a level that was more affordable than previous offerings, like the Lisa. The first Mac cost $2,495, while the Lisa cost four times higher.

The introduction of the Macintosh was declared with the Ridley Scott-directed "1984" advertisement, which aired during the third quarter of Super Bowl XVII on Jan. 22, 1984. The 60-second TV spot was made for a budget of $900,000 and is considered to be a masterpiece in advertising.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    Give the man a spot on the Board of Directors.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Give the man a spot on the Board of Directors.

I couldn't agree more, a wonderful idea. This is one of the greatest minds in advertising history and a close friend of SJ. He's the perfect choice (in my opinion). I'm sure Apple will remain in capable hands but the chemistry and vision behind SJ and Mr. Clow will be hard to replicate. A board meeting from time to time surely wouldn't conflict with his surfing schedule.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Please don't tell me he's going to be hired or consult for Microsoft.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I thought those Apple ads were genius, but the "Energizer Bunny"?????

That's just nothing to be proud of at all.

• Reply 5 of 75
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    I remember "1984".

Guess everyone has to retire sometime, even the Great's.

How come there are no other rising stars?

Is it because the Greats have taken over the spotlight for so long?

Or are we just dumbing down as a country?
  • Reply 6 of 75
    Gazoobee,

Your comment about one of Mr. Clow's highly recognized projects is neither helpful or kind. While you may not appreciate what his firm has done, the Bunny ads have become a highly recognized icon for batteris. (Reference http://www.usatoday.com/money/advert...-adtrack_x.htm). I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate someone publicly slamming your work as "nothing to be proud of" either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

• Reply 7 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It might not be as cool or as iconic as Apple’s 1984 ad, but it’s far from being forgettable or not being iconic. I would argue that it’s likely that those ads did more for Energizer in terms of recognition, revenue and profit than the 1984 ad. I bet more people worldwide know the Energizer ad more than they know Apple’s 1984 ad. That is important.

Hell, maybe even more than Apple’s long running Get A Mac ads. From an advertising standpoint the energizer bunny ads were brilliant, and unlock the single ad for Apple’s 1984 ad that got revamped once and spoof several time, the Engergizer ads just kept going and going and going*.

* See what I did there?
  • Reply 8 of 75
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeff_b View Post

Gazoobee,

Your comment about one of Mr. Clow's highly recognized projects is neither helpful or kind. While you may not appreciate what his firm has done, the Bunny ads have become a highly recognized icon for batteris. (Reference http://www.usatoday.com/money/advert...-adtrack_x.htm). I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate someone publicly slamming your work as "nothing to be proud of" either.

Wow, look who has a crush...

Artists are always a sensitive lot. Chefs too. Both need a little skin thickening.

Why you never send a meal back to the kitchen... but you can slam everything else.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    I think that 1984 ad was iconic, but the Taco Bell Chihuahua add was a rip-off. Not saying that he stole the idea but I would not acknowledge him as the creator either. http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...-lawsuit_x.htm
  • Reply 10 of 75
    Quote:

Gazoobee,

I doubt Lee Clow reads the forum.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:

Gazoobee,

Mr. Clow's knows everyone will not like his work, BUT he knows if you are talking about it, then you watched the ad and his work is done.

MS had half the brains in marketing and advertising as Mr. Clow's maybe Apple would have some competition in iPhone, music and handheld media player market.

Someone asked me why do we enjoy Apple so much and I said look at the "1984' that's why!
  • Reply 12 of 75
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Thanks for the memories, Mr. Clow!
  • Reply 13 of 75
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    I'm curious as to exactly what aspect of the creation was Clow's, and what was Ridley Scott's. The art direction certainly seems to have Scott's paws all over it (particularly given that it was made around the same time he would have been doing Blade Runner
  • Reply 14 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Mr. Clow's knows everyone will not like his work, BUT he knows if you are talking about it, then you watched the ad and his work is done.

MS had half the brains in marketing and advertising as Mr. Clow's maybe Apple would have some competition in iPhone, music and handheld media player market.

Someone asked me why do we enjoy Apple so much and I said look at the "1984' that's why!

I don't think anyone is really talking about it. If you polled 500 people I doubt most would even know the name Clow except for the Energizer bunny ads. I think its hard pressed to call someone who makes tv ads a visionary. Only the most hardcore apple fans would even remember the commercial.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    Quote:

Gazoobee,

Thanks for the over-the-top reaction fella. I'd explain the context of my remark more, but it doesn't sound like you'd listen anyway. Have a nice day!
  • Reply 16 of 75
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Please don't tell me he's going to be hired or consult for Microsoft.

Well, seeing as how Microsoft is two steps behind Apple with regards to Apple has an iPod, iTunes and ITMS, MS has the Zune, Marketplace, Apple has retail stores, MS starts retail stores, Apple has Geniuses, MS has Gurus...

So if Microsoft did hire him, a MS "1984" commercial would fit the bill considering MS seems to always be a day late and behind the times with its innovative "cultural iconic" products...
  • Reply 17 of 75
    You know after reading this article and letting it sink in it's really a crucial time for Apple marketing on many levels. iphone competition is increasing, app store competition, a new tablet, response to Windows 7, ipod sales waning a bit, mac vs. pc becoming a little tired. I wonder if Mr. Clow will stay somewhat involved with Apple on some level or if the reigns will truly be passed on. It will be interesting to see what comes out of marketing in the next year or two. I'm sure the tablet campaign is set but the war sure does seem to be heating up on all sides.

Oh yea, and the whole Windows retail thing (joke). I'd love to see Apple rip MS in an ad with pc in his store. I'm still disgusted with MS over this. Forget the best form of flattery B.S.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It might not be as cool or as iconic as Apple?s 1984 ad, but it?s far from being forgettable or not being iconic. I would argue that it?s likely that those ads did more for Energizer in terms of recognition, revenue and profit than the 1984 ad. I bet more people worldwide know the Energizer ad more than they know Apple?s 1984 ad. That is important....

True.

My comment was more along the lines of how his work was being presented by this article as in being more about cultural transformation than sales. I was trying to make a distinction (as the article itself does), between "successful adverts" and the stuff that goes beyond that.

The Energiser Bunny was a highly successful ad campaign, but it's the worst kind of low-brow culture, as well as being patently deceptive. For instance the whole time they were running those ads saying the Energiser batteries were the best, they were actually second best. Other brands have often beaten out Energiser batteries on a pure performance level but through some tricky wording, the perception was built that Energiser was best. That's great for the Energiser people but hardly noble or "cool" IMO.

The Energiser Bunny campaign is a classic example of a single iconic advertisement that was original in itself, and only intended to run once, that was then extended into a sort of "character" simply because the audience found it bemusing, and then literally milked to death over a long, long, long period of time. Not cool, not that original, and (IMO) nothing to be proud of.

I'm not saying the Energiser thing wasn't "good" or "successful" in the sense of brand building and selling batteries, but it just doesn't compare to "think different" in my book at all. I'm sure Jonathan Ive could design a really amazing dog house if he tried also, but I don't think it would be anything to put on his resume or shout about.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I don't think anyone is really talking about it. If you polled 500 people I doubt most would even know the name Clow except for the Energizer bunny ads. I think its hard pressed to call someone who makes tv ads a visionary. Only the most hardcore apple fans would even remember the commercial.

That why it always mentioned as one of the BEST Superbowl ads of all time! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28780693/page/2/

Btw: Apple are known for their ads as there have TV ad in TOP TEN best TV ads of all-time as described by TIME Magazine

http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...691234,00.html

P.S. you missed the point of my reply, since we are talking about it now, since Gazoobee said something about the "Energizer Bunny" ads that means he watched it and that is what Mr. Clow wants and his client

P.P.S. you always seen to found a way to dismiss Apple's achievements, but you never have any facts!
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Are you kidding me ?!