Nintendo profits freefall as iPhone cuts into portable game sales

Comments

• Reply 181 of 204
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Apple NZ, iPod 8GB/64GB: converted to US$ at 73.1 US cents to the NZ$ just so you can compare

US$255 - US$511 (and I wouldn't buy the 8GB model)

PSP 3000 with GT PSP: US$239

PSP Go: US$ 386

The US price doesn't reflect the international prices...

It's still a less than $500 at the low and middle end and there's nothing wrong with the 8GB device. But hey, if you're only going to pick the TOP model and whine that it's too expensive...

The 32GB one is $299 US. Probably the same price as the PSP Go for you. Around $350-$400 US.

So the bottom line is that the iPod Touch is about the same price as the PSP even for you.
  • Reply 182 of 204
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Apple NZ, iPod 8GB/64GB: converted to US$ at 73.1 US cents to the NZ$ just so you can compare

US$255 - US$511 (and I wouldn't buy the 8GB model)

PSP 3000 with GT PSP: US$239

PSP Go: US$ 386

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

It's still a less than $500 at the low and middle end and there's nothing wrong with the 8GB device. But hey, if you're only going to pick the TOP model and whine that it's too expensive...

The 32GB one is $299 US. Probably the same price as the PSP Go for you. Around $350-$400 US.

So the bottom line is that the iPod Touch is about the same price as the PSP even for you.

ok, I will try again, and why are putting in the US local price for, I would have to pay a lot of fly to the US to purchase the ipod at that price.

The 32GB version here is US$372.

There is a number of reasons why you would purchase the 64GB version of the touch over the other models.

1. the 8GB version is using different hard to the other ones

2. you cannot expand the storage on the 8GB or 32Gb versions, so what is the point of purchasing a device you can't even put your stuff on? Sure the 32GB version might do the kids, but I am not paying that much for a portable device just for them.

So, at the end of the day...

1. the PSP is cheaper than all the iPod touches here.

2. The PGPgo is around the same price as the 32GB touch

3. But all that does change the fact that Apple charges over US$500 for the 64GB iPod touch here.
  • Reply 183 of 204
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    How much are you going to spend on games?

A PSP is fairly useless without them.

You could easily buy 10 iPod touch games for the price of one PSP game,

Quote:

ok, I will try again, and why are putting in the US local price for, I would have to pay a lot of fly to the US to purchase the ipod at that price.

The 32GB version here is US$372.

There is a number of reasons why you would purchase the 64GB version of the touch over the other models.

1. the 8GB version is using different hard to the other ones

2. you cannot expand the storage on the 8GB or 32Gb versions, so what is the point of purchasing a device you can't even put your stuff on? Sure the 32GB version might do the kids, but I am not paying that much for a portable device just for them.

3. But all that does change the fact that Apple charges over US$500 for the 64GB iPod touch here.

• Reply 184 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

And the game play of those ten iPod touch games would be as long as one PSP game, your point is?

But you raise a point, and it is the reason I don't want to get a PSPgo. At the moment with the PSP I can purchase games from anywhere in the world, i can purchase second hand games, I can purchase games on release day with discounts in store. All of which disappear with online distribution
  • Reply 185 of 204
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post

To me it seems unlikely that iPhone or iPod Touch had that much of a significant impact on Nintendo's portable sales. Another example of Apple cheer-leading by AI.

What does seem likely is that we are 1) in a recession 2) somewhat stale hardware 3) everybody and their brother already has a Ds. Sure some impact from the touch, but I have yet to any kid dropping the Ds for the games on the Touch.

I've even asked my 9-yr old about the Touch, and he said it was too hard to control compared his Ds or PSP.

Thoughts?

I've had a DS for over a year now, and I like many of the games on there. However Ive been playing with my sisters ipod and the games are really fun, and look very good. The controls are very fluid, and work extremely well. In fact I think the graphics on the really good ipod games are way better than my ds. Id like to own both platforms at one point.
  • Reply 186 of 204
    It really depends on the game, buying 10 iPod Touch/iPhone games is more likely to lead to a higher chance of weeding out the duds, you buy one PSP game, the kid's might play it for a while then drop it within a few minutes.

There is no guarantee of longevity of gameplay when buying games for any platform.

I have spent more on games for an X-box, PS3 and PSP for my kids in the last year than the cost of my iPhone.

At anywhere from $40 to $120 a game the TCO costs soon add up.

Games like Madden 2010 on the iPhone add up to hours of gameplay, Pocket God adds new content almost every week, Myst on the iPhone is a huge undertaking, then there are the online games, similar to Facebook games which require hours of time and are endless, the most expensive games are $A12.99 ($US9.99).

Quote:

And the game play of those ten iPod touch games would be as long as one PSP game, your point is?

But you raise a point, and it is the reason I don't want to get a PSPgo. At the moment with the PSP I can purchase games from anywhere in the world, i can purchase second hand games, I can purchase games on release day with discounts in store. All of which disappear with online distribution

• Reply 187 of 204
    Quote:

It really depends on the game, buying 10 iPod Touch/iPhone games is more likely to lead to a higher chance of weeding out the duds, you buy one PSP game, the kid's might play it for a while then drop it within a few minutes.

There is no guarantee of longevity of gameplay when buying games for any platform.

I have spent more on games for an X-box, PS3 and PSP for my kids in the last year than the cost of my iPhone.

At anywhere from $40 to $120 a game the TCO costs soon add up.

Games like Madden 2010 on the iPhone add up to hours of gameplay, Pocket God adds new content almost every week, Myst on the iPhone is a huge undertaking, then there are the online games, similar to Facebook games which require hours of time and are endless, the most expensive games are $A12.99 ($US9.99).

You can't compare the cost of a PS3/X-Box game to PSP/iPod games, they are in a different league.

I see Madden 10 for the iPhone is 3GS optimised, must annoy the people on the older devices, plus I see it doesn't have the features of the other portable consoles such as multiplayer.

Hmm, you're quoting in Aussie $, are you looking forward to getting COD:MW2 kiddies edition?
  • Reply 188 of 204
    What's it got an R rating i.e. banned in Australia?

One of the kids will probably beg me to whip out the credit card and import it from HK or NZ.

Quote:

You can't compare the cost of a PS3/X-Box game to PSP/iPod games, they are in a different league.

I see Madden 10 for the iPhone is 3GS optimised, must annoy the people on the older devices, plus I see it doesn't have the features of the other portable consoles such as multiplayer.

Hmm, you're quoting in Aussie $, are you looking forward to getting COD:MW2 kiddies edition?

• Reply 189 of 204
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Why on earth should I use NZ prices?

Quote:

And if you are price sensitive then there are reasons to get the 8GB and 32GB models eh?

Quote:

By $50 or so as I stated.

Quote:

So what makes a PSPGo a more reasonable purchase than a 32GB touch? Nada.

Quote:

Which doesn't change the fact that Apple does offer lower cost iPod touches for those that prefer to pay less.
  • Reply 190 of 204
    Quote:

What's it got an R rating i.e. banned in Australia?

One of the kids will probably beg me to whip out the credit card and import it from HK or NZ.

I read they are trying to get one mission edited out of it
  • Reply 191 of 204
    Quote:

Why on earth should I use NZ prices?

Because at the moment that is all I can purchase Apple hardware in, the US price is very different, and doesn't apply to the majority of the world.

Quote:

And if you are price sensitive then there are reasons to get the 8GB and 32GB models eh?

No, there is no logical reason to get the ipod Touch 8GB model if you have any intention to play games on it.

This is the one area in portable gaming Apple is going to fail in. In all the years that the NDS has sold, and all the year that the PSP has sold it is basically the same hard ware, the games released at the beginning the device still work in the latest NDS. Apple has changed the hardware for the 32GB/64GB touch, and the 3GS, there will (there is actually) software that will only run on these devices with the newer hardware. This is the reason I won't buy PC games, and it is the same reason I won't take the iPod/iPhone seriously for gaming.

Quote:

By $50 or so as I stated.

Nope, a lot more in my currency.

Quote:

So what makes a PSPGo a more reasonable purchase than a 32GB touch? Nada.

The games. Let's just name three shall we...

GT PSP

Resistance

Loco Roco

And there is many more...

Quote:

Which doesn't change the fact that Apple does offer lower cost iPod touches for those that prefer to pay less.

If you prefer to pay less to get less of a device then you are more than welcome to do that.
  • Reply 192 of 204
    Quote:

The games. Let's just name three shall we...

GT PSP

Real Racing made right here in Australia by Firemint.

Quote:

Resistance

Dunno I've never played it, is it like Halo i.e. exlusive to one platform?

Quote:

Loco Roco

Rolando 1 & 2

And there are many, many more...
  • Reply 193 of 204
    Quote:

It looks nice

Quote:

You own a PS3 and have never heard of Resistance?

Quote:

Rolando 1 & 2

Could they rip of Loco Roco any more?

But all these new games for the PSP will still work on the PSP1000 from five years ago, how confident are you that you could say the same with the iPhone in three years time?
  • Reply 194 of 204
    Quote:

It looks nice

You own a PS3 and have never heard of Resistance?

I don't play it my kids do, I don't have the time to devote to games like that any more no doubt there are a lot of people like me judging by the popularity of the Wii and iPhone/iPod games.

btw I checked EB Games NZ site GT platinum pack for PSP is $NZ69.99.
  • Reply 195 of 204
    Quote:

I don't play it my kids do, I don't have the time to devote to games like that any more no doubt there are a lot of people like me judging by the popularity of the Wii and iPhone/iPod games.

btw I checked EB Games NZ site GT platinum pack for PSP is $NZ69.99.

General rule of thumb, don't buy new games at EB Games, I paid a lot less than that.

It is a good game, 800 vehicles to choose from, 30+ tracks, many many hours of game play
  • Reply 196 of 204
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

GT (Gran Turismo, I presume?) included with PSP 3000 is full featured game and retails for at least NZ$60.00...
  • Reply 197 of 204
    Quote:

Yes, but a game like GT can be enjoyed for month - literally.

I was playing GT4 for PS2 - a game GT PSP is based on - and after 8 months of almost daily playing I was still at 70%. There was a good year of gameplay in that game, and really excellent gameplay.

Or the other scenario - God of War for PSP was not too long, but plugged to TV was resulting visuals quality comparable to GOW/GOW2 for PS2 (which is remarkably good looking game). Short of XBOX3600 and PS3, I don't think that any other current/previous desktop console can outdo that level of visuals.

I did try free version of Assassin's Creed for iPhone and while it is playable, it just isn't there. Visuals are too simple. Controls are lacking real feel.

And on top of that, iPhone 3Gs battery will last not more than 2 hours on most demanding 3D games, risking to leave you without phone/media player/... as well untill you can recharge.

PSP battery lasts for around 5 hours of gameplay and is replaceable, so you can carry more in your PSP bag. And even with that battery life was considered one of biggest PSP shortcomings.

We can go around and around but for me, it ends up at same point over and over again. iPhone is brilliant smart phone and media player with some gaming capabilities. Being Jack of all trades, it has to compromise something and, luckily, is compromising gaming (which - for me at least, is least important) with no real controls, short battery life and average visuals (at least against PSP).

On the other hand, PSP is dedicated portable gaming console with some media player capabilities, but it is openly compromising all of them for it's basic functionality - playing games. It has GT. GOW. Jak & Daxter. Ratchet & Clank. Burnout. Tekken. Metal Gear. Patapon.

It is completely somewhere else.
  • Reply 198 of 204
    Quote:

Sorry, but Real Racing is nowhere near GT or Forza games. Yes, I've tried it.

Quote:

Yes, Resistance is PS exclusive. Gameplay is, I'd say, more like Gears of War than Halo though.

Quote:

Rolando 1 & 2

And there are many, many more...

Tried that too. Not bad but not as good either. Big margin...
  • Reply 199 of 204
    I think you underestimate the graphics power of the iPhone:-

http://www.firemint.com/realracing/screenshots.html

Regarding battery life there are plenty of plug in battery packs available for iPhones, they are no more cumbersome than carrying around PSP batteries and they do not detract from game play.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Yes, but a game like GT can be enjoyed for month - literally.

I was playing GT4 for PS2 - a game GT PSP is based on - and after 8 months of almost daily playing I was still at 70%. There was a good year of gameplay in that game, and really excellent gameplay.

Or the other scenario - God of War for PSP was not too long, but plugged to TV was resulting visuals quality comparable to GOW/GOW2 for PS2 (which is remarkably good looking game). Short of XBOX3600 and PS3, I don't think that any other current/previous desktop console can outdo that level of visuals.

I did try free version of Assassin's Creed for iPhone and while it is playable, it just isn't there. Visuals are too simple. Controls are lacking real feel.

And on top of that, iPhone 3Gs battery will last not more than 2 hours on most demanding 3D games, risking to leave you without phone/media player/... as well untill you can recharge.

PSP battery lasts for around 5 hours of gameplay and is replaceable, so you can carry more in your PSP bag. And even with that battery life was considered one of biggest PSP shortcomings.

We can go around and around but for me, it ends up at same point over and over again. iPhone is brilliant smart phone and media player with some gaming capabilities. Being Jack of all trades, it has to compromise something and, luckily, is compromising gaming (which - for me at least, is least important) with no real controls, short battery life and average visuals (at least against PSP).

On the other hand, PSP is dedicated portable gaming console with some media player capabilities, but it is openly compromising all of them for it's basic functionality - playing games. It has GT. GOW. Jak & Daxter. Ratchet & Clank. Burnout. Tekken. Metal Gear. Patapon.

It is completely somewhere else.

• Reply 200 of 204
    Quote:

I think you underestimate the graphics power of the iPhone:-

But there lies the problem, the graphics power the original iPhone is less than the graphics power of the current iPhone, and when the next version gets released it will be more powerful again, which model do you develop for?