Snow Leopard Server Question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am considering purchasing Snow Leopard Server for a small business type shop. I have used Windows Home server but it is so limited in terms of clients I decided that I might do better with Snow Leopard Server. My question is this...Most of our computers are PC's. We have 5 Mac's. I want to be able to back up computers as well as share calendars and Wiki's. Will SNow Leopard Server allow me to back up windows clients user files as well as Mac user files? I am VERY new to all of this so I am thinking that Snow Leopard Server might be easier for me to learn. Can anyone talk about your experience with SLS? How have you used it? Will it allow windows clients? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsosb View Post

I am considering purchasing Snow Leopard Server for a small business type shop. I have used Windows Home server but it is so limited in terms of clients I decided that I might do better with Snow Leopard Server. My question is this...Most of our computers are PC's. We have 5 Mac's. I want to be able to back up computers as well as share calendars and Wiki's. Will SNow Leopard Server allow me to back up windows clients user files as well as Mac user files? I am VERY new to all of this so I am thinking that Snow Leopard Server might be easier for me to learn. Can anyone talk about your experience with SLS? How have you used it? Will it allow windows clients? Any help would be appreciated.

The cool thing about the new mini SLS is the second drive can be set up as a time machine disk, so all your macs (that run leopard anyway) can backup to it automatically. I am sure there is something out there that will let you backup your PC and save the backup to a network drive, which SLS can provide. SLS allows for windows clients, you can use open directory to store profiles which then allows for roaming profiles, it has support to copy in items from your existing active directory or use your active directory should you choose to keep it. I currently currently have a mix of Mac's and PC's and have all of them working. I have only had it a couple of days, but after spending a little more time with it I am hoping to eventually use it to replace our aging 2000 Server Domain Controller, and eventually our SQL Server suing MySQL. Eliminating two boxes that give me constant headaches.... Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dsosbdsosb Posts: 52member
    Thanks very much! I think you have convinced me! I appreciate your comment.