First Look: Apple's 27" big screen iMac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 244
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

The sales pitch at the end is tacky !!

The rest of the article is spot on correct.

The real truth is if you can buy an education discount.

They don;t check >>> i got my MBP ...

This is a bit beyond the pale.

You are calling them tacky for having a link to the product sales page, but you're posting about how people can cheat Apple by faking educational status?

I think I can see who's the tacky one without scruples and it isn't AppleInsider.
  • Reply 42 of 244
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I totally agree with your post, but this example is not the best.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

... just like for some people Cilantro tastes like soap (thankfully I'm not one of them - I love Cilantro and can't imaging not being able to enjoy it). ...

The taste of Cilantro is a biological thing that depends on your genetic background.

If you are one of those who finds that it tastes like garbage (or soap), it will always taste like that and there is nothing you can do about it short of inhabiting another body. Whereas many of those who complain about glossy screens could actually learn to like them if they weren't so damn picky and relaxed a little.
  • Reply 43 of 244
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You have lost a lot of respect from me withyour pimping the product you're reviewing at the end of the "review."

Why? It's how this site is supported, and you get a discount to boot. There's no smoke-and-mirrors going on here. And the review is just speeds & feeds, it's not even written like an infomercial, though we can all expect a very positive full review once it comes - after all, this is a Mac enthusiast site, and it IS a good product. Give Kasper and crew a break.
  • Reply 44 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is a bit beyond the pale.

You are calling them tacky for having a link to the product sales page, but you're posting about how people can cheat Apple by faking educational status?

I think I can see who's the tacky one without scruples and it isn't AppleInsider.

spot on!
  • Reply 45 of 244
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

...?there IS an anti-glare coating on Apple?s glossy screens...

It's a "anti-reflective" coating actually, which is a sprayed on process applied on the LCD panel, (there might even be a extra coating on the glass Apple uses too.)

It's not nowhere as near as good as matte film, it's name is a misnomer.

Spray on is simpler and cheaper than applying a matte film of course.
  • Reply 46 of 244
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Not sure what Apple is thinking by almost totally ignoring the matte screen crowd.

I dunno, as a publicly traded company they are probably thinking it's not profitable enough to mess with. Desktops are lower volume then laptops - they probably haven't crossed the threshold where people would be willing to pay the real difference in price for stocking a low volume option.

I realize it's more fun to imagine a Mr. Burns (from the Simpsons) version of Steve Jobs in his lair with a brandy snifter in one hand and a stogy in another snearing "let them eat cake" while an assistant reads aloud the pleading in forums like these....

And while it's a fun image, it's based more on the denial of the matte crowd they are in the vast minority then any basis of fact. If the iMac sales are strong and if Apple see's enough of a demand via whatever methods they use to forecast demand I have no doubt it could one day be offered as an option, just like as with the notebooks.

And for those matte fanatics that insist Apple doesn't know what their doing - just look at every quarterly result since Steve has returned - paying particular attention to the last three. Then go look at the results of Acer, HP and Dell and see how much those netbook sales have helped them.

That was sarcasm for those who are unable to discern...
  • Reply 47 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Unless you play back HD content with it.

You can play back BlueRay through an external player (since with THIS iMac it has external video in) or Windows. Really, I can't see the big hangup of playing it in Mac OSX. Yes, it would be nice and we may get it someday, but if you basing purchasing decisions of a computer based on MOVIE formats for playback... well, different strokes for different folks I guess.
  • Reply 48 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If you are one of those who finds that it tastes like garbage (or soap), it will always taste like that and there is nothing you can do about it short of inhabiting another body. Whereas many of those who complain about glossy screens could actually learn to like them if they weren't so damn picky and relaxed a little.

While I do think the majority of the whining over matte displays is a gross exaggeration, I have no doubt there really truly are people where the reflections are more then just a simple annoyance and cause a legitimate physical reaction. Whether it's genetic or not, if it's an issue to them it's an issue. We are all different. The problem is if you are in the minority, you may not always get the solution you want. Let the sales volume get up there and who knows. Apple has started offering them where they haven't in the past, they may do it again.
  • Reply 49 of 244
    Quote:

You can play back BlueRay through an external player (since with THIS iMac it has external video in) or Windows. Really, I can't see the big hangup of playing it in Mac OSX. Yes, it would be nice and we may get it someday, but if you basing purchasing decisions of a computer based on MOVIE formats for playback... well, different strokes for different folks I guess.

The external (video in) can only convert from one display port mac to another. Which is the problem.
  • Reply 50 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You can not plug an PS3 or Xbox 360 in the system

FAIL

The 27" iMac is the first iMac with video in. In fact, it's typically the most talked about feature - amazingly it was even mentioned in the article you are commenting on. The same article you either didn't read, or didn't bother to comprehend.
  • Reply 51 of 244
    Quote:

The external (video in) can only convert from one display port mac to another. Which is the problem.

Where did Apple ever say that? All they have said are "Adapters are coming" HDMI and DisplayPort are electrically compatible, to simply assume it's display port only is a little reckless.

Some people fooling around before the official solutions ship are hardly authoritative.
  • Reply 52 of 244
    Quote:

Where did Apple ever say that? All they have said are "Adapters are coming" HDMI and DisplayPort are electrically compatible, to simply assume it's display port only is a little reckless.

Some people fooling around before the official solutions ship are hardly authoritative.

I believe the article says that no adapter will resolve this problem. Its not an adapter issue. Before you accuse me of not reading you might want to check this out.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ort_input.html
  • Reply 53 of 244
    Quote:

Give me a break. This isn't the New York Times (and they even screw up as far as the "purists" are concerned). Like it or not this site (and many others) are supported by ad revenue. I was just on three other photography sites earlier this morning and every single one of them have affiliate links to various resellers at the end of their reviews. If you like "free" content, this is how it works.

It you enjoy a site like this, it's how they stay in business. If you are going to go all ultra-legalistic then stick to consumers reports (which you will have to pay for). Otherwise we need to cut the moral indignation crap.

Posting affiliate links at the end of a review is one thing, what AI is doing is something completely different, they are whoring themselves and their readers out and actually pushing their readers to buy from this place. Which by the way, is NOT, a good deal at all. I was able to find better prices from 3 different places in less than 10 minutes on ALL models.

Please post the links to the 3 photography sites you are talking about that do anything similar to this. I also frequent many photography sites and have never ever seen something like this.

Whats funny is, that some people are actually surprised by their audacity. Take your head out of the sand people, there's not integrity here. I come here to get a good laugh everyday, not to find out actual news.
  • Reply 54 of 244
    Quote:

Or, since going from display port to display port doesn't take an adaptor but just a cable, and they have said that adaptors are coming, they just aren't talking about features that aren't available yet?

Oh, I forgot - Apple is evil and vindictive and likes to actively prevent people from doing useful things for no other reason then the pleasure Apple gets in seeing everyone complain.

Sheesh....
  • Reply 55 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

Why? It's how this site is supported, and you get a discount to boot. There's no smoke-and-mirrors going on here. And the review is just speeds & feeds, it's not even written like an infomercial, though we can all expect a very positive full review once it comes - after all, this is a Mac enthusiast site, and it IS a good product. Give Kasper and crew a break.

The problem with a review that is concluded with links to sponsored advertising is that it can't be a completely unbiased review. The review is going to only focus on the positives so that at the end of the article you may decide to buy an iMac from one of the sponsors. Its not going too be a fair review because theyre trying to sell you something.

In fairness though, this is less of a review and more of a spec overview. All the info provided in the article is specs that could be easily found on the Apple website. People really shouldn't be complaining about AI 'pimping' themselves to their advertisers.
  • Reply 56 of 244
    Quote:

Or, since going from display port to display port doesn't take an adaptor but just a cable, and they have said that adaptors are coming, they just aren't talking about features that aren't available yet?

Oh, I forgot - Apple is evil and vindictive and likes to actively prevent people from doing useful things for no other reason then the pleasure Apple gets in seeing everyone complain.

Sheesh....

I'm not sure what you are reading but based on everything everyone else is reading its an option that isnt going to be available at all. There isnt any indication in that article that something new is coming. If you can find something that tells us something new is coming I would be happy to read that. This is not a cable issue.

And yes Apple does take some sick enjoyment on creating not only a closed OS but now it it appears closed hardware. Oh lets not forget closed iPhone development.
  • Reply 57 of 244
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

...Yet again Apple created a device that can only be used in an all Apple world. You can not plug an PS3 or Xbox 360 in the system, which is foolish seeing your average Gateway monitor can perform this function. Blu Ray is not available from Apple while its available from HP, Dell and Sony.

This is typical Apple, build something that doesn't support what the rest of the world uses. You can try to put any slant on this you want but there isn't anyone (except you) that doesn't think this entire display port issues is beyond stupid.

Even in the dark deep woods of Canada you may have heard of something called HDMI. You know the standard the rest of the world uses. You cant site quality or premium this time because there isn't any more premium then HDMI.

I'm with Apple on this one, as they are usually either setting the curve or way ahead of it.

HDMI requires a talking and exchanging of keys for HDCP for content viewing, so you can't hook your PS3 or Xbox to a non-HDMI/HDCP compliant Mac and view (and record) content and I doubt adapter will ever come around, legally that is.

Apple might have made the right choice staying out of the mess, they certainly can build thinner and lighter computers by trending to less mechanical/complicated devices.

The future does seem to be high capacity SD cards (SDXC) with up to whopping 2TB and speeds (according to my calculations) twice as fast as a 7,200 RPM hard drive.

Maybe that's why Apple is installing SD ports on all it's machines.
  • Reply 58 of 244
    Quote:

I believe the article says that no adapter will resolve this problem. Its not an adapter issue. Before you accuse me of not reading you might want to check this out.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ort_input.html

I was waiting for that. While I like AppleInsider for many things, their ability to cite themselves as authoritative sources is a little nuts - to whit:

Quote:

According to Apple's stated specifications however, the 27" iMac's video input feature will only ever work with DisplayPort devices, and no physical adapter will change that fact.

And the stated specifications link links to.... another AI article!

No where - NO WHERE does Apple state that port will only ever support display port. They have said they have adaptors pending. Now whether those adaptors convert HDMI or composite (really, with HDMI so prevalent in consumer electronics I don't know why they would bother) to display port or not, I find it hard to believe that Apple would just summarily ignore that whole segment. But why would they say adaptors are pending when if all they had intentions of supporting was display port - which can be supported right now by a simple cable?

I dunno. I could be off my rocker and Apple could be that obtuse (they have sometimes been in the past) but I have a hard time believing it. As others have pointed out, you could buy the 27" as a high resolution monitor, ignore the Mac that's built in and still be ahead. One would hope there is more to this...
  • Reply 59 of 244
    Quote:

I'm not sure what you are reading but based on everything everyone else is reading its an option that isnt going to be available at all.

In iPhone OS 1.0 lots of people swore Apple wouldn't be successful because they had no intention of offering real applications. Apple never said they wouldn't offer them - they just weren't ready. The maturity of the SDK when it was released easily demonstrated that native applications were obviously planned from day one. But it's more fun to ascribe emotions like "evil" and then make your self self-important by thinking because you protested they listened and changed.

Quote:

And yes Apple does take some sick enjoyment on creating not only a closed OS but now it it appears closed hardware. Oh lets not forget closed iPhone development.

Your absolutely right. It's purely for their enjoyment in denying people. It has nothing to do with fanatical attention to detail and a desire to control the end user experience for the better.

If you honestly believe that, why are you even here?
  • Reply 60 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Posting affiliate links at the end of a review is one thing, what AI is doing is something completely different, they are whoring themselves and their readers out and actually pushing their readers to buy from this place. Which by the way, is NOT, a good deal at all. I was able to find better prices from 3 different places in less than 10 minutes on ALL models.

What is "this place"? They linked to at least six or seven different stores. And provided retail and education pricing. Did a hand pop out of your monitor and force your mouse to click on one particular retailer and then forced you to order? If so that's weird because it didn't happen for me.

And post me a better price then the ClubMac price - it's better then education! I've seen places manage to match education pricing in the past, but the only time I have seen a retailer with significant discounts on Apple products they had NY, NY addresses and your order would mysteriously disappear if you didn't buy lots of high priced accessories too.

Quote:

Please post the links to the 3 photography sites you are talking about that do anything similar to this. I also frequent many photography sites and have never ever seen something like this.

Grandaddy Photography site of them all - dpreview.com:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/

Look at the bottom. They all do it - it's how they stay in business. AppleInsider may have woven it into the bottom of the story, but really theirs is one of the better price guides on the net and most understand it for what it is and appreciate it for it's convenience. There's no trickery.

Quote:

Whats funny is, that some people are actually surprised by their audacity.

No, what's tiresome is the ability for people to be offended at something that is in fact innocuous.

Quote:

Take your head out of the sand people, there's not integrity here.

Take your head out of the sand, there's nothing to be over-reacting for.

Quote:

I come here to get a good laugh everyday, not to find out actual news.

Then your pretty uniformed because despite their foibles (and AI definitely has a few) they are constantly breaking pretty good news. And if you are only coming here for a good laugh you need to get out more. There are plenty of sites on the net that are far more entertaining.