Review: Apple's redesigned, late 2009 13-inch MacBook

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetterThanYours View Post

I just joined up to see what Apple Insider members say about Apple's environmental approach, because I sometimes write about and do infographic pieces about eco-stuff as part of my current line of study (academic journals and some real world blogs too).

But your comment made wonder if the color issue has to do with Apple's new "green" standards. They eliminated a whole bunch of chemicals from their machine production. I still don't have a firm sense of whether or not Apple's going greener will make the products less desirable for their customers. But I really hope not. Because I too want a good lookin machine!

The organization that studies this stuff officially, compares all computer manufacturers and stuff is called EPEAT I think.

And my peeps' story at Ecosalon.com on the matter (gotta help my sisters out with the link sharing):

http://www.ecosalon.com/eco-meme/#more-27281

@Boogerman2000 -- would you feel better about the gloss white if it was either that, or a toxic machine? Just hypo here.

My complaint has to do with Apple's policy concerning their very conservative style of offering the absolute minimum when it comes to certain options such as color. Likely, a black version of the new macbook will be released but not until they feel they have exhausted their other options and made due profits.

I don't believe they are making many concessions when it comes to design or physical aesthetics for the sake of producing greener products. Sales are their primary objective, not the environment, no matter how it's wrapped.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

because a review from apple insider screams objectivity otherwise?

pretty tacky

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

My complaint has to do with Apple's policy concerning their very conservative style of offering the absolute minimum when it comes to certain options such as color. Likely, a black version of the new macbook will be released but not until they feel they have exhausted their other options and made due profits.

I don't believe they are making many concessions when it comes to design or physical aesthetics for the sake of producing greener products. Sales are their primary objective, not the environment, no matter how it's wrapped.

the new all white mb is a grab and go computer
  • Reply 23 of 33
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I just saw one of these today while I was checking out the Magic Mouse. While I don't know if I could go white, I am a big fan of the overall shape, edges and the rubbery bottom.

I would like to see those features head to the unibody MacBook Pro, which I own. Overall I think this is a very attractive package and see my high school daughter getting one soon.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    I'll confess I'm not a fan of this new white Macbook. Furthermore current pricing and options in the United Kingdom for 13" Mac laptops lack consistency.

Apple were able to build the previous 13" Macbook with more features for the same current price, why couldn't it do so for this Macbook? If the 250GB drive meant the price stayed at £799 (British pounds), surely it would have been better to put in a 160GB drive and reduced the price to £749 or even £699?

Alternatively they should have squeezed in the SD card slot somehow.

Furthermore it seems bizarre that the lower spec 13" Pro machine comes with a smaller drive than the consumer Macbook. You're paying an extra £250 for the high spec 13" Pro with 250GB drive, 4GB memory and 2.53Ghz processor.

Apple itself charges £80 for 2GB memory and £40 for the 250GB drive upgrade BTO, effectively meaning that you're paying £130 for an extra 0.27 Ghz of processor speed.

Apple needs to address these price differentials in the UK as a matter of urgency.

I'm puzzled why the Apple info states unibody comes to Macbook as if it's the first unibody Macbook. I've certainly not forgotten the Aluminium unibody Macbook I'm typing on now! Still feeling aggrieved by the firewire! It may have been useful but I've learned to live without it. \
  • Reply 25 of 33
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    the real secret is the entry level mac is way more computing power than most people ever need .even med end gamers can get by with the new MB white

for 999 you get an all in one fantastic machine that is part of a multi billion dollar seamless community

you barely need to add anything cept for a printer

no other dell or whatever device can match even 1/2 half of what the basic entry level WMB offers

the over all ease of use and complete computing experience over 5 yr peridot w/ no colds or virus attacks /

if it wasn;t for 5tb of home video and COD games i would jump at this great apple computer

look for 3 or 4 more blow out 1/4's by steve jobs inc

ps i am still predicting a nano phone
  • Reply 26 of 33
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...ade/DDR3_White

8GB of memory is the maximum

... Is that a mistake? Or is that another Apple secret? Built to order from Apple, you can only get 4 gb. Why would they not offer their typical obscene charge for 8 gb of RAM? Like they do for the Pro....
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

... Is that a mistake? Or is that another Apple secret? Built to order from Apple, you can only get 4 gb. Why would they not offer their typical obscene charge for 8 gb of RAM? Like they do for the Pro....

Apple doesn't really overcharge for the 8GB upgrade by much at all. Have you checked prices for 4GB DDR3 sticks? They are in the neighborhood of $350 each, so for Apple to charge $600 for the upgrade is to be expected, given their policy of taking only the trade-in RAM as markup profit.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    i wish they would just leave the firewire on

or else give us usb target disc mode

for administrators that work with schools and companies with a large amount of macbooks, firewire target disc mode can be a life saver

it isn't that difficult to yank the hard drive out of the mac and pop it into an external enclosure for these tasks, but it was so much more efficient when there was firewire target disc mode imho
  • Reply 29 of 33
    I understand that the polycarbonate shell helps increase the notebook's durability, but I'm still wondering why Apple doesn't discontinue selling it. I did a little research and it seems that the polycarbonate plastic is mainly made up of BPAs, an environmentally toxic substance. And in addition to that, like any plastic its main derivative is oil, a fossil fuel. I am disappointed that they have not yet found an environmentally friendly alternative that offers the same toughness, especially since they boast about being so proactive in this category.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Natecoe View Post

I understand that the polycarbonate shell helps increase the notebook's durability, but I'm still wondering why Apple doesn't discontinue selling it. I did a little research and it seems that the polycarbonate plastic is mainly made up of BPAs, an environmentally toxic substance. And in addition to that, like any plastic its main derivative is oil, a fossil fuel. I am disappointed that they have not yet found an environmentally friendly alternative that offers the same toughness, especially since they boast about being so proactive in this category.

Concerned about the environment? My advice: Work for Planned Parenthood! Afraid of "chemicals"? BPA is the last of your worries. You have PCBs in your blood right now. Don't worry about this concenration of BPA via dermal exposure. Regarding toxics, there are so many everywhere, you really can't think about it too much without going nuts. I know...I am an environmental scientist...I probably have been exposed to way to many metals and VOCs, oh well...So which you prefer, BPA-free computers, or policies encouraging a slowdown of the population explosion? The latter will have a much greater environmental benefit. Macs, well, I don't care too much about their construction. Apple uses less packaging, and could use even less. That's good. But the best part about Macs regarding the environment is that they last so much longer than PCs! And people BUY old Macs or trade them. My Color Classic will never see the dump. If the motherboard dies one day or the CRT finally goes I will swap them out...

Anyhow, Nate, I doubt we'll have environmentally-friendly material to build computers from any time this century. Unless of course someone figures out a way to fashion MacBooks out of hemp. MacBook: Hemp Edition.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    So hey, do the optical drives in the newer MacBooks suck as much as the early 2008 MBP's?
  • Reply 32 of 33
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    This is great little computer. The track pad is great and, for the first time, faster than a mouse. The screen is very nice. It does not get too hot and the battery life is really good. A firewire port would have been nice but I think I can get around it.

Trackpad, screen and battery life are such big advantages I don't mind the loss of a port. I have no complaints. Compared to most pc laptops the trackpad is a huge timesaver.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    i love my 13" after going back and forth between unibody 13's and 17's... the graphics card difference is negligible 9600 vs 9400 - nothing but a logistics issue- i blogged about how i came to my conclusions here.