HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY-

your worst nightmare is BACK!

Trick! :P

And on Halloween night, too.
  • Reply 102 of 244
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nice to see that gentleman-liness prevails yet again on AI!

Thank you- yes it does. I can't believe while I was away that I've been misquoted left and right! (not by you but nonetheless)
  • Reply 103 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

no HDMI trick... no purchase?
  • Reply 104 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Trick! :P

And on Halloween night, too.

More like treat.

Aren't you glad the AppleTV got the My files at the top of the list plus search your own files as well ( as I've championed for the last 2 years (let's give credit where credit is due)) even though I know you have the WD ( which I still have to check out but we have a World Series going on here).

Now I'm not trying to derail the thread- I just gotta out of jail and had to SHOUT that out.
  • Reply 105 of 244
    Quote:

I just gotta out of jail and had to SHOUT that out.

But you already did, Mr. Something-or-the-otheraid?
  • Reply 106 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

no HDMI trick... no purchase?

Well I was misquoted on the APPLETV thread as stating "No Blu-ray no purchase" by He Who has 11,000 plus posts. But it does apply here.

I mean such a wasted beautiful screen:

1.) No Blu-Ray

2.) No HDMI for external Blu-Ray device.

3.) Ancient low definition iSight camera.

4.) No TV tuner.

I will wait for Generation II.

Note I haven't even mentioned matte.
  • Reply 107 of 244
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

More like treat.

Aren't you glad the AppleTV got the My files at the top of the list plus search your own files as well ( as I've championed for the last 2 years (let's give credit where credit is due)) even though I know you have the WD ( which I still have to check out but we have a World Series going on here).

Now I'm not trying to derail the thread- I just gotta out of jail and had to SHOUT that out.

AppleTV got better, yes indeed. I'm not keeping up with it's development that much, though.

Still waiting for HD content availability on the Canadian iTunes store. That's right, as far as I can tell we still don't have it.
  • Reply 108 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But you already did, Mr. Something-or-the-otheraid?

Say What?
  • Reply 109 of 244
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think the iMac necessarily is any more a TV than the original Mac, which is the same concept, putting the computer in the same chassis. You can play videos on iMacs (I don't recall if the original Mac could play video files), but it's still a computer.

Well, the main thing is the iTMS with renting movies and subscribing to TV series. Sure, you can do that on any computer, but with the iMac you can use a VESA compliant mount and put the whole iMac on your wall. If you like a la carte for television then the iTMS and/or Netflix (plus all the network sites) would be your thing. Hence the TV and cable replacements.

Of course a 27" is not a good replacement for a 40" and above LCD or LED television but for everything else maybe.

It is just a matter of time when a la carte is the norm and not the exception. Cable's On-Demand is not the stop-gap for a la cart. You're still paying the high monthly fee for a lot of junk you don't want anyway.
  • Reply 110 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think the iMac necessarily is any more a TV than the original Mac, which is the same concept, putting the computer in the same chassis. You can play videos on iMacs (I don't recall if the original Mac could play video files), but it's still a computer.

The original iMacSE could play Quicktime files and was marketed as a entertainment alternative and even included "A Bugs Life" DVD in the box with it advertised on the box itself.

Jeff- thank you for being a very fair moderator on here and not a dictator either, the best.
  • Reply 111 of 244
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

As one of the matte fans, it's not a matter of a little whining.

I have sensitive eyes & glare causes severe strain. IT HURTS to use a glossy display!!!

For what Apple charges for their products, there's no reason they can't spend an extra buck on non-reflective glass (it's available if they bothered).

When my matte iMac dies, it looks like Apple is giving me three options: Go used, go Dell, or go Amish.

Too bad one can't be Apple.

i regret saying that

i hope you can resolve the glare issue

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is a bit beyond the pale.

You are calling them tacky for having a link to the product sales page, but you're posting about how people can cheat Apple by faking educational status?

I think I can see who's the tacky one without scruples and it isn't AppleInsider.

my wife works for the board of ed so i qualify

all i said was apple never asked for proof

which tells me this discount is available to anyone who asks

i spent in total over 3400 dollars on my MBP and SW

beyond the pale

please dude

AI is a site that makes money from selling ads

they also shill for mac discounters

IT IS tacky to boost a product and then direct you to buy it to someone who pays them to direct you , it is very low foir such a great web site to do this .

i will ignore your insult
  • Reply 112 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

spot on!

spot off
  • Reply 113 of 244
    I got to play with the 27" yesterday. Holy cow its big. Also seemed to run awfully hot compared to my oldie
  • Reply 114 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

spot off

I've arrived - at your service, MASTER! lol Happy Halloween
  • Reply 115 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I was waiting for that. While I like AppleInsider for many things, their ability to cite themselves as authoritative sources is a little nuts - to whit:

And the stated specifications link links to.... another AI article!

No where - NO WHERE does Apple state that port will only ever support display port. They have said they have adaptors pending. Now whether those adaptors convert HDMI or composite (really, with HDMI so prevalent in consumer electronics I don't know why they would bother) to display port or not, I find it hard to believe that Apple would just summarily ignore that whole segment. But why would they say adaptors are pending when if all they had intentions of supporting was display port - which can be supported right now by a simple cable?

I dunno. I could be off my rocker and Apple could be that obtuse (they have sometimes been in the past) but I have a hard time believing it. As others have pointed out, you could buy the 27" as a high resolution monitor, ignore the Mac that's built in and still be ahead. One would hope there is more to this...

D P is a new type of video that does not easily convert from the ones we use now >so no adapter can fix that . This info i have culled form AI articles so i may be wrong .
  • Reply 116 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I got to play with the 27" yesterday. Holy cow its big. Also seemed to run awfully hot compared to my oldie

Did you notice more glare with all that screen real estate?
  • Reply 117 of 244
    Quote:

I've arrived - at your service, MASTER! lol Happy Halloween

i can now go to sleep

welcome back

the dogs are barking

peace dude

• Reply 118 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Doesn't really matter if it equal the best HD set on teh market bacause it doesnt really have the ability to playback HD content for the expection of trailers. Which is really a waste for this screen.

I DL from itunes HD media and play it on my MBP all the time and it looks better than the reg media from itunes . So i m,ay have missed your point. My point is a TV larger than 38in NEEDS bluray or HD or else the media shown looks quite shabby.

Its possible i missed the whole point altogether.
  • Reply 119 of 244
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Welcome back.

Just don't turn into a spoookey witch to soon.

Dave
  • Reply 120 of 244
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

In Jeff's defense, he was correct in spirit. The subject in question was a touchy one, anyway. Not always easy to deal with, and it's difficult to craft guidelines about it. I mean, AI's are pretty good in this particular area, but not exhaustive, because they really can't be. If there was an attempt to make them exhaustive, we run the risk of eliminating subjects like Psystar's Rebel EFI hack, hackintosh discussions, etc. I might be stretching it here, but it could go in that direction.

It would be a sad world indeed if we couldn't talk about things that make others uncomfortable. However I can see the need for moderation of the forums. In this case after reading through the thread I do think there was a bit of an over reaction.

The other side of the coin here is that there are perfectly legal place where you can find high quality HD content. These tend to be demos, trailers and short features but they exist.

Quote:

But thanks for noticing the resolution. It doesn't always happen that way around here.

Problems often come up when you have too many people online having a bad day. Or possible just not understanding the comments being made.

Dave