ipod in Disk Mode Help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have the latest imac, with the latest iTunes on Snow Leopard. Works fine with my ipod touch. But my daughters ipod will not be seen by itunes or the finder. I succeeded in putting it in Disk mode, but it still won't be seen by either??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Hopefully you'll find helpful advice here.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Hopefully you'll find helpful advice here.

Thanks for the link. But I had gone there before posting and did everything they mentioned. I had called them and they had sent me that link. If I want more help from them I'm going to have to pay, which I don't want to unless I have no choice.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    OK. In that case, you'll need to provide a lot more info in order for anyone to help you.

1.) Which model (exactly, including which generation) iPod are we talking about?

2.) What are the computer specs (OS, iTunes version etc.)

3.) What, exactly, have you tried so far?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

OK. In that case, you'll need to provide a lot more info in order for anyone to help you.

1.) Which model (exactly, including which generation) iPod are we talking about?

2.) What are the computer specs (OS, iTunes version etc.)

3.) What, exactly, have you tried so far?

It works fine on it's own that's as far as it goes.

-iPod nano (3rd generation)

-imac 24" 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram, 1 TB HD on Snow Leopard 10.6, iTunes 9.0.2 (25)

I got these two links from apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1320

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363

I did exactly what the two links said to do with success except that once I got it in Disk Mode and plugged it in the computer it would not show up in the Finder, so was unable to continue since I couldn't see it.

I did re-bout the computer and opened iTunes first before plugging it in.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Do you have any other USB devices (including a hub, excluding keyboard and mouse) plugged into the computer? If so, remove them.

Have you tried all the iMac's USB ports?

Can you see the iPod in Disk Utility (found in /Applications/Utilities/) when it's connected?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Do you have any other USB devices (including a hub, excluding keyboard and mouse) plugged into the computer? If so, remove them.

Have you tried all the iMac's USB ports?

Can you see the iPod in Disk Utility (found in /Applications/Utilities/) when it's connected?

I've been on mac for a long time and just took for granted that all would be fine with my D-Link powered USB 2 Hub. So didn't think of testing it straight into the imac. I did that and presto. All is back to normal. This has only happened since I went to Snow Leopard.??

But my ipod touch doesn't show up in the Finder. Only in iTunes, while my daughters shows up in both places.??
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inukshuk View Post

I've been on mac for a long time and just took for granted that all would be fine with my D-Link powered USB 2 Hub. So didn't think of testing it straight into the imac. I did that and presto. All is back to normal.

You're welcome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inukshuk View Post

But my ipod touch doesn't show up in the Finder. Only in iTunes, while my daughters shows up in both places.??

For some reason best known to Apple, the iPod Touch doesn't do disk mode.