Exclusive look at Apple's new iPod touch-based EasyPay checkout

Comments

• Reply 121 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Which of course increases the cost of the device, and then you have to purchase it from a third party

Find me a handheld PoS device with WiFi and the option for secure internet access and an option for home-grown apps on the cheap for under $200 and you?ll have a point.
  • Reply 122 of 152
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Which of course increases the cost of the device, and then you have to purchase it from a third party

What are we talking about here? I just linked that case as an example because it had a video of an iPod touch being thrown into walls and off balconies. The iPod Touch we are talking about here already comes with a case. Clearly the cost would include an iPod Touch and the case containing the card reader and bar code scanner. that doesn't necessarily make it more expensive than a symbol device (I don't know the prices).
  • Reply 123 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

What are we talking about here? I just linked that case as an example because it had a video of an iPod touch being thrown into walls and off balconies. The iPod Touch we are talking about here already comes with a case. Clearly the cost would include an iPod Touch and the case containing the card reader and bar code scanner. that doesn't necessarily make it more expensive than a symbol device (I don't know the prices).

The really crappy ones can be had around $400 and even less, but the ones Apple uses retail for over $1000. Some of them retail for over $2000, the last time I checked. Other companies sell cheap ones more in line with the $400 offerings, but they are all pretty bad that price point. Slow, buggy and not easy to use.

If these or another company jumps into it they really could hurt their business. Some may even have to go the app and accessory route to better compete, like Tom Tom is doing with GPS. There is certainly money to be made here.
  • Reply 124 of 152
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The really crappy ones can be had around $400 and even less, but the ones Apple uses retail for over $1000. Some of them retail for over $2000, the last time I checked. Other companies sell cheap ones more in line with the $400 offerings, but they are all pretty bad that price point. Slow, buggy and not easy to use.

And, I believe, for the ruggedized, "6-foot drop" models, they are all well over $1,000.

EDIT: And, of course, the US military uses the iPod Touch on the battlefield, so it must be reasonably rugged to begin with.
  • Reply 125 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luke1robb View Post

this...http://www.amazon.com/Incase-Slider-.../dp/B001NK1TYC

Is it a coincidence or not that Incase no longer sells the Power Slider?

I was thinking same thing, the moment I saw that image I thought it looked an awful lot like incase may have been the designer involved.
  • Reply 126 of 152
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Find me a handheld PoS device with WiFi and the option for secure internet access and an option for home-grown apps on the cheap for under $200 and you?ll have a point.

It would be hard, and this may very well work for Apple, in their controlled environment. I am just saying that this PoS system, may not work that well in the other environments that the symbol devices work well in, like warehouses, production environments, backs of trucks, outside etc.
  • Reply 127 of 152
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Especially if it can be combined with one of the new Mac Mini servers.

Customised software, a few iPod touches with the cases, Mac mini server and an airport = a fairly good solution for a small business which could easily be sold as a package.

Quote:

If these or another company jumps into it they really could hurt their business. Some may even have to go the app and accessory route to better compete, like Tom Tom is doing with GPS. There is certainly money to be made here.

• Reply 128 of 152
    Quote:

Clearly the cost would include an iPod Touch and the case containing the card reader and bar code scanner. that doesn't necessarily make it more expensive than a symbol device (I don't know the prices).

A few years back, for handhelds that didn't come with those built in, they were very expensive accessories, especially the bar code scanner, since Symbol owns most the IP around scanning.
  • Reply 129 of 152
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Honestly the thing looks as FUG as the windows version. Why not have like a blue outer shell. The grey plastic shell makes the device look hella dated, just my opinion.
  • Reply 130 of 152
    Quote:

It would be hard, and this may very well work for Apple, in their controlled environment. I am just saying that this PoS system, may not work that well in the other environments that the symbol devices work well in, like warehouses, production environments, backs of trucks, outside etc.

Can you make a valid argument why a suitcase protective case can’t be produced by a 3rd-party, but Motorola can make one? Hell, the US military has been using iPods in combat zones for years now because they are cheaper than and more versatile than previous devices. If they constantly broke, as you suggest is likely, I doubt they would be using them.
  • Reply 131 of 152
    Quote:

Can you make a valid argument why a suitcase protective case can?t be produced by a 3rd-party, but Motorola can make one? Hell, the US military has been using iPods in combat zones for years now because they are cheaper than and more versatile than previous devices. If they constantly broke, as you suggest is likely, I doubt they would be using them.

The protective case on the Motorola devices is built on, you can't purchase it without it. Some businesses like to purchase things from one place, that way you only have to go back to one place for servicing etc, it reduces supports.

Can you give me a statistic on how many iPods have been broken in combat zones? Can you give me details of the IP rating of the iPod touch, with and without the protective cases?
  • Reply 132 of 152
    Quote:

The protective case on the Motorola devices is built on...

<sarcasm>Wow! I didn?t realize that. What a reveleation </sarcasm>
  • Reply 133 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

in fact the "save" button on the screen shot of CC info also has that blue arrow. I'll be wild and guess that means some sort of remote save. Which would also indicate to me that, because the program icon itself has the symbol, the the program is run remotely. IDK wild guess. Actually upon further review, they mean nothing of the sort. There is also the same symbol on the home button. But a remote apps would be cool in in of itself.

To all of the people discussing the little blue arrows in the pictures:

Those arrows are indicators of links to the next slide. These pictures are from the internal interactive training guide created with Keynote. The blue arrows have nothing to do with the device. For example, in the training guide, you can click on "Save" and that will take you to the next Keynote slide about the next step in a transaction.
  • Reply 134 of 152
    Quote:

<sarcasm>Wow! I didn?t realize that. What a reveleation </sarcasm>

You still didn't answer the other questions
  • Reply 135 of 152
    @Tsunami: good catch, so to speak. It's not as if the people here don't use Keynote.
  • Reply 136 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The risk I am talking about isn't fraudulent charges on your credit card, I am talking about the increased chance of identity theft, which is far more damaging. Pulling information from the credit card is usually how it starts. Why increase the chances by making a purchase from a hand-held device when there is less of a chance of it happening from a fixed point of sale terminal? Best not to do things that make you a target.

oh god, you are so freaking clueless! The credit card info is not stored on the iPod to be "downloaded" later! It's all sent wirelessly (encrypted) to a server within the store where everything is processed, otherwise how would the system even be able to verify whether the card was valid or not??? THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS IF YOU DO IT AT A POS TERMINAL! THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS WHETHER IT TRAVELS THROUGH AN ETHERNET CABLE OR ENCRYPTED WIFI! So stop complaining about this "hand held device" BS.

Yes it is not 100% safe, but nothing is. Doing it from a handheld device is no different than doing it at a "fixed point of sale terminal" other than ethernet vs wifi. And WiFi is NOT the part you are complaining about, ironically.

Apple does not cater to paranoid old farts who are too stupid to comprehend semi-modern technology. I'm sure all the employees at the store will be much happier if you stay at home and never waste their time with your paranoid delusions.

Jeez, I don't understand how someone so brain-dead can think they are such a know-it-all authority on the matter.
  • Reply 137 of 152
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Not only that, but customers can still line up to pay in back. Although an Apple employee will probably let you know that you don't have to line up to pay.... problem solved. The only problem I have is that I don't want a bag and they email you your receipt, so how do you get out the door?

In a supermarket they usually put a sticker on unbagged items. They might do the same in the Apple Store. Of course you can still opt for the paper receipt.
  • Reply 138 of 152
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Honestly the thing looks as FUG as the windows version. Why not have like a blue outer shell. The grey plastic shell makes the device look hella dated, just my opinion.

Looks are less important in this context than functionality. While Apple could have used another colour, black is probably more 'pass partout', since it doesn't get have any mood impacts, and is probably cheaper to make. White would have just got dirty. I am trying to think of any stores that have put much marketing into their POS, but I can't think of any offhand.

As for the security issue I hope they are using a secure wireless connection and that the application is using an encrypted protocol. Additionally the server in question is only in the Apple intranet, with possibly a store based server.

There are going to be plenty if people following this, if only for use in their own business.

Does PCI testing validate the security of the device if stolen?
  • Reply 139 of 152
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Until some enterprising crook puts on a color t shirt, a fake apple id card and his own version of pay me system that literally pays him.

Probable? No! Possible? Yes!

From Apple's company store at their headquarters you can buy a blue T-shirt with the Apple logo on, that's the exact same shade of blue as their retail staff wear. I've worn it to an Apple store before (by mistake) and been mistaken for staff by lots of people, including a staff member!
  • Reply 140 of 152
    Quote:

I am just saying that this PoS system, may not work that well in the other environments that the symbol devices work well in, like warehouses, production environments, backs of trucks, outside etc.

That may be the case, but, then, this is obviously not intended for those uses.

Quote:

Can you give me a statistic on how many iPods have been broken in combat zones?

Actually, for that, and many other uses, that's not really an issue. The more important issue is whether they are "durable enough" and whether the value of the functionality they provide exceeds the cost, including replacements. The Symbol devices, the useful ones, are so expensive that you can break at least a couple iPod touches and still come out ahead in value.