Apple announces App Store offerings top 100,000

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Wednesday announced that more than 100,000 applications are now available on its App Store for the iPhone and iPod touch, crossing the milestone less than a year and a half after its debut.

"The App Store, now with over 100,000 applications available, is clearly a major differentiator for millions of iPhone and iPod touch customers around the world," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "The iPhone SDK created the first great platform for mobile applications and our customers are loving all of the amazing apps our developers are creating."

The App Store serves customers in 77 countries with apps in 20 categories, including games, business, news, sports, health, reference and travel. In September, Apple announced that App Store users have downloaded over two billion apps, continuing to make it the world?s most popular applications store.

"The App Store has forever changed the mobile gaming industry and continues to improve," said Travis Boatman, vice president of Worldwide Studios, EA Mobile. "With a global reach of over 50 million iPhone and iPod touch users, the App Store has allowed us to develop high quality EA games that have been a huge success with customers."

In September, Apple debuted the Genius recommendation feature to help users sort through the plethora of options on the App Store. iTunes 9 has also allowed users to sort and manage their iPhone and iPod touch applications more easily. This summer, the hardware maker also added keywords to software to allow for easier search.

Apple noted Wednesday that it continues to improve search and discovery with new features including App Store Essentials selections, sub category listings and more valuable customer reviews. It said developers have been pleased with the results.

"With 10,000 downloads a day, worldwide customer response to our I Am T-Pain App has exceeded our wildest expectations," said Jeff Smith, CEO of Smule. "The App Store has given us a unique opportunity to create and grow a very successful business, and we?re looking forward to an exciting future."

This summer, iPhone OS 3.0 was released, bringing over 100 new features to the iPhone and iPod touch, including Cut, Copy and Paste; MMS; landscape view for Mail, Text and Notes; stereo Bluetooth; shake to shuffle; parental controls; automatic login at Wi-Fi hot spots and Push Notifications. Apple said the new features have been popular with customers, with more than two billion Push Notifications sent to apps available from the App Store.

The company also noted that the recently introduced In App Purchase feature extended to free applications means leading developers will now be able to offer customers the choice of buying content, subscriptions and digital services from directly inside their apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    That's about 100,000 reasons you can't stop the iPhone's momentum.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    What an unequivocal success story the App store is.

Could this be the future for all Software distribution? Not just Mobile SW, but computer SW?

Imagine the same system on the AppleTV platform?

Is this what the $1 billion Apple server farm in NC is for?

I know so many questions and no answers!
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That's about 100,000 reasons you can't stop the iPhone's momentum.

Exactly, Quad!

I just traded up to a 3Gs from my 1st gen iPhone. Took a dozen videos clips of a walk round an Arboretum. Came home, opened iMovie for the first time, read no iMovie instructions, viewed no iMovie instructional videos and put all the clips together, synced it to AppleTV and watched it on my widescreen TV in about 20 minutes!

Man oh man, my girlfriend thinks I'm a genius!

Could never have done this on a RIM, MS, Palm, Nokia product! It's the 'Apple Ecosystem,' Baby!

PS. Went mountain climbing and a bee was bothering me...opened my 'anti-mosquito' App on the 3Gs ('squirts' out a high frequency to the bee) and it went away!
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Exactly, Quad!

I just traded up to a 3Gs from my 1st gen iPhone. Took a dozen videos clips of a walk round an Arboretum. Came home, opened iMovie for the first time, read no iMovie instructions, viewed no iMovie instructional videos and put all the clips together, synced it to AppleTV and watched it on my widescreen TV in about 20 minutes!

Could never have done this on a RIM, MS, Palm, Nokia product! It's the 'Apple Ecosystem,' Baby!

PS. Went mountain climbing and a bee was bothering me...opened my 'anti-mosquito' App on the 3Gs ('squirts' out a high frequency to the bee) and it went away!

Some people say that that app actually works. Scary.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Quote:

What an unequivocal success story the App store is.

Could this be the future for all Software distribution? Not just Mobile SW, but computer SW?

:

I really hope not! Personally, I like to have a hard copy of my SW installs. Yes, I could burn the software to an optical disk that I download (in fact, I do that and store it away.) Secondly, what happens if you want to buy a peice of software when you are out on the road, say for an important business meeting and you have no internet connection? Or how about when (since most want to go this way) you end up having a tiered or pay-per-gig plan with your ISP?

Downsides to optical / hard copy media: it can get damaged and destroyed. Backups of important software disks are necessary. Making those backups can be difficult.

And what happens if Apple decides to release the XApp Store? Will devs have to jump through hoops to get their software approved? ("Adium was not approved for following reason: Mimics built-in functionality of OS X: iChat") Or will it be something more like Linux where we have community maintained repositories? I sure hope its not Apple Maintained... It could take a month before a computer App shows up on the XApp Store!
  • Reply 6 of 64
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Why is Ms Pac Man considered an app?

Ever hear someone say "Oh I just bought this really great point and shoot app for my PS3."
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I really hope not! Personally, I like to have a hard copy of my SW installs. Yes, I could burn the software to an optical disk that I download (in fact, I do that and store it away.) Secondly, what happens if you want to buy a peice of software when you are out on the road, say for an important business meeting and you have no internet connection? Or how about when (since most want to go this way) you end up having a tiered or pay-per-gig plan with your ISP?

Downsides to optical / hard copy media: it can get damaged and destroyed. Backups of important software disks are necessary. Making those backups can be difficult.

And what happens if Apple decides to release the XApp Store? Will devs have to jump through hoops to get their software approved? Or will it be something more like Linux where we have community maintained repositories? I sure hope its not Apple Maintained... It could take a month before a computer App shows up on the XApp Store!

All good points, Camroid. But I really think Apple 'hates' physical media, discs, boxes, shipping, storing, etc. Not to mention the physical drives themselves! If anyone can figure out how to do it successfully, it will be Apple. With the usual hiccups and mis-steps, Think MobileMe, here.

Best.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Some people say that that app actually works. Scary.

Not as scary as that little bee! I hate bees!
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Quote:

All good points, Camroid. But I really think Apple 'hates' physical media, discs, boxes, shipping, storing, etc. Not to mention the physical drives themselves! If anyone can figure out how to do it successfully, it will be Apple. With the usual hiccups and mis-steps, Think MobileMe, here.

Best.

Physical drives, especially optical, are currently the bane of Apple. I can tell they want them gone to get better battery life and to decrease the "thinness" of their machines. The MacBook Air is a signal to this change... along with the newest MacMini Server. Perhaps SD cards will be the new Hard Medium as some here have predicted?

To take this even further... I can see an "in-place-over-the-air" OS upgrade path coming from Apple... with no optical media, it could be a way to keep the Hackers at bay (which sadly, would make it so I couldn't upgrade my hackintosh)
  • Reply 10 of 64
    The "App Store" is the new walmart.

I wonder how many of those are actually worth getting, worth paying for, and how many go unnoticed.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Physical drives, especially optical, are currently the bane of Apple. I can tell they want them gone to get better battery life and to decrease the "thinness" of their machines. The MacBook Air is a signal to this change... along with the newest MacMini Server. Perhaps SD cards will be the new Hard Medium as some here have predicted?

To take this even further... I can see an "in-place-over-the-air" OS upgrade path coming from Apple... with no optical media, it could be a way to keep the Hackers at bay (which sadly, would make it so I couldn't upgrade my hackintosh)

Agreed!
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

I wonder how many of those are actually worth getting, worth paying for, and how many go unnoticed.

"Top Paid", "Top Free", "Top Grossing", for each category. Use the filters. If it's a "Top" app in that category, that's your first clue that it's worth looking into.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

But unlike Walmart, in the App store, you don't have to 'mingle' with the 'great unwashed!'
  • Reply 14 of 64
    100,000 apps, 85% percent garbage apps. Still, very impressive.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

100,000 apps, 85% percent garbage apps. Still, very impressive.

I only use 10 apps, so from that perspective I guess that means 99.9999% are worthless. Good thing it’s not based on one person’s usage. One man’s junk is another man’s jewel.

After all these years an Apple product has an excessive offering and all we hear are complaints that “they are all fart apps and tip calculators” (paraphrasing one of the resident trolls here). You;d think people would be happy to have such a variety of versatile apps, and it’s only the beginning.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:

Exactly, Quad!

I wouldn't go as far as to say never. More difficult, yes. Apple's competition are releasing better ways for devs to create for their systems. I see that you left Android off your list... Interesting.

But I applaud the 100,000 apps (minus however many are unsuccessful clones, but are still lingering around the App Store...). Just means that much more apps that can be ported to other systems!
  • Reply 17 of 64
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    with about 1% being of any use
  • Reply 18 of 64
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Yeah. Momentum. I see.

I bought "PanCamera" app some months ago. It was not free app, I paid, AFAIR. I was happy. It was exactly what I needed. I took it with me onto my trip and made effortlessly a lot of on-road panoramas. Simply the best thing on the store.

A week ago the app just stopped to load. With no explanations. Then it quietly disappeared from the store.

Yet, the crap survives. Momentum.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Love the App Store.

Apps I use every day:

Sportacular

Dictionary

Convertbot

Pandora

BeeJiveIM

Remote for my AppleTV

Holy Bible
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

After all these years an Apple product has an excessive offering and all we hear are complaints that “they are all fart apps and tip calculators” (paraphrasing one of the resident trolls here). You;d think people would be happy to have such a variety of versatile apps, and it’s only the beginning.

My biggest complaint is in the gaming part of the App Store, are all the "+10 point" apps for different RPG style games since they clutter up the App Store something fierce. These aren't apps, they are buy points. I wish they would be removed and built into the original game's App.

But you do have to admit, there are plenty of redundant (which is fine, its called competition) apps, and even more so there are many useless "try-to-get-a-buck" apps (which is allowed, but stupid since so many have no real use other than to get the programmer a small profit off of other's stupidity).