Apple announces App Store offerings top 100,000

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

After all these years an Apple product has an excessive offering and all we hear are complaints that “they are all fart apps and tip calculators” (paraphrasing one of the resident trolls here). You;d think people would be happy to have such a variety of versatile apps, and it’s only the beginning.

I'd be happy to run more than one app at a time- even if it's the fart and the iBeer app.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

But unlike Walmart, in the App store, you don't have to 'mingle' with the 'great unwashed!'

But like Walmart, they are censored.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:

I only use 10 apps, so from that perspective I guess that means 99.9999% are worthless. Good thing it?s not based on one person?s usage. One man?s junk is another man?s jewel.

After all these years an Apple product has an excessive offering and all we hear are complaints that ?they are all fart apps and tip calculators? (paraphrasing one of the resident trolls here). You;d think people would be happy to have such a variety of versatile apps, and it?s only the beginning.

I can gift you the 'track your poop'" or "kissing booth" app for Christmas. Or the ever fav "Pour1out" apps where you can simulate dumping out a 40oz.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I saw a security guard for a garage in boston walking around with an ipod touch which was getting a live video feed from all the cameras in the garage. He could view them all at once on a single screen, tap on one to view the live feed, then actually move the camera by dragging the screen.

It. was. the COOLEST!

I acted a little gay for it, asking him to show me. He says everyone gets a kick out of it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

"Top Paid", "Top Free", "Top Grossing", for each category. Use the filters. If it's a "Top" app in that category, that's your first clue that it's worth looking into.

Undeniable logic ladies and gentlemen. Quadra is a true genius
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'd be happy to run more than one app at a time- even if it's the fart and the iBeer app.

If you have the iBeer app you really need to compliment it with the Pour1out app.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

After all these years an Apple product has an excessive offering and all we hear are complaints that ?they are all fart apps and tip calculators? (paraphrasing one of the resident trolls here). You;d think people would be happy to have such a variety of versatile apps, and it?s only the beginning.

Exactly. Could you imagine someone walking into a Grocery store and complaining about all the goods they aren't going to buy? "This store is nice, but there is too much to choose from. I only like 1% of the stuff in here."

- People are strange.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

with about 1% being of any use

Doesn't matter if it's an app like I described above or an app that just makes a fart noise with a button, they are saying there are 100,000 apps now.

It's actually a little telling of how overwhelming the app store can be and how competitive it's gotten.

I thought this image was funny:

There's actually magazines dedicating a lot of content towards these apps.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Exactly. Could you imagine someone walking into a Grocery store and complaining about all the goods they aren't going to buy? "This store is nice, but there is too much to choose from. I only like 1% of the stuff in here."

- People are strange.

Actually in your analogy, it might be something like "This grocery store is nice, but the coco-puffs and turkeys are being overwhelmed by the abundant supply of toilet paper and bouncy balls.... Or something lol
  • Reply 29 of 64
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Actually in your analogy, it might be something like "This grocery store is nice, but the coco-puffs and turkeys are being overwhelmed by the abundant supply of toilet paper and bouncy balls.... Or something lol

lol...
  • Reply 30 of 64
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

"Top Paid", "Top Free", "Top Grossing", for each category. Use the filters. If it's a "Top" app in that category, that's your first clue that it's worth looking into.

Now, if only they would introduce a "Top Rated", especially combined with (keyword) search, that would be really useful. The current "Top ..." categories are useful for identifying stuff that may be generally useful, but when what you are looking for doesn't make the "Top ..." lists, it can be hard to wade through stuff, and the "Genius" feature isn't very useful at all, to me, at least.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Yes, its that darn toilet paper I have to dig through to find the Turkey, and stupid bouncy balls getting mixed in with the coco-puffs... it makes it hard to chew.

• Reply 32 of 64
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

100,000 apps, 85% percent garbage apps. Still, very impressive.

Yeah, and 85% might be on the low side...

If only it was easier to cut through the crap in the app store.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    I've got 8 apps on mine, although have tried out plenty more. Checking train times and the tube map on the phone has saved my bacon more than once... and it makes life easier. Look forward to trying out some of the augmented reality apps should my next phone be the 3GS.

Garbage or not, 100,000 is plenty to choose from with apps useful for just about anything. Well, except finding the right apps!
  • Reply 34 of 64
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Do the same things you do to cut through the crap for Mac and for Windows. Crap software wasn't invented with the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Yeah, and 85% might be on the low side...

If only it was easier to cut through the crap in the app store.

• Reply 35 of 64
    There are probably 10% real apps. The rest are games and widgets.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You are now arguing semantics and nomenclature. Applications is a generic term.

Quote:

There are probably 10% real apps. The rest are games and widgets.

• Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You are now arguing semantics and nomenclature. Applications is a generic term.

I'm not arguing anything- I'm just stating a fact.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

"Probably 10%", a figure you pulled out of your ass, if a "fact"?

On this thread we've seen "1% useful", "85% worthless", and "probably 10% real" (whatever that means).

The "fact" is, no one throwing these figures around have the faintest idea what percentage of the apps in the app store are "useful", or even by what metric useful would be defined.

Sure, there are a lot of silly or trivial apps. That's true for every platform. It's certainly true for PCs, where once upon a time having a shitload of apps was considered a big competitive advantage over the Mac.

At any rate, pick whatever percentage good/bad you want. As the absolute number of apps increase, the number of good apps increase. At some point, it doesn't matter how many are of no interest to one particular buyer, when even a small percentage of the available apps outnumber the entire catalog on any other platform.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applica...28computing%29

Please see section at the bottom: Content Access Software.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    The FACT is, that the App Store is a huge hit, that the whole idea as implemented by Apple is sheer genius, and everyone else is scrambling to try to copy something they know they should have implemented properly years ago.

That's fact.