Apple announces App Store offerings top 100,000

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I can gift you the 'track your poop'" or "kissing booth" app for Christmas. Or the ever fav "Pour1out" apps where you can simulate dumping out a 40oz.

Quote:

If you have the iBeer app you really need to compliment it with the Pour1out app.

where you trying to be funny
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Wow. I just realized how much I missed stuudlytechs commentary (well OK extreme was doing a decent job covering during his banness) but making it all the way to five posts before the snarks came out was impressive. Keep in mind the following talking points whilst you read here:

>that while its OK for PCs to have thousands more applications (programs of all types btw not just productivity or really useful stuff) than Macs, all the apps in the App Store suxxors because its the App Store built by Apple

> that percentages are only relevant when certain studly or extreme or other posters use them - everyone else is fundamentally clueless and should be using numbers like that

>that there are never enough relevant apps (see above points), there are too many irrelevant apps, not enough battery life, not enough coverage, not enough megapixels, no flash, no Flash, no keyboard, too much glossy, too much plastic, too much money being made on too little marketshare, too little marketshare to be truly successful, too many tools not complaining enough, and too much time on too many Touret victims hands.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

As the absolute number of apps increase, the number of good apps increase.

What the critics imply is any increase in the number of apps must only be via useless apps. To paraphrase: 'Why is 100 000 apps not much better than 50 000 apps? Because all except a handful of the additional 50 000 apps are useless. Why must this be so? Because I knew 40 good apps when 50 000 were available, now with 100 000 available I know 44 good apps. Thus all other 49996 additional apps must be crap.'

Finding the right app is not really more difficult with 100 000 apps than it was with 10 000 apps. Since 99.9% of the time it is not you looking for an app, it you hearing about an app.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    The value of an app is in the eyes of the downloader. One person's "trash" app is another's treasure. I'm just very happy that software distribution is going in this direction.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That's about 100,000 reasons you can't stop the iPhone's momentum.

The problem is if you eliminate the farting apps, the flashlight apps and the tip calculator apps there are only about 100 applications.

-kpluck
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

where you trying to be funny

It is funny that Apple can take apps like t those and add them to the list calling it 100,000 apps. We should also have the Souiisoul and Quadra app where you have two guys that just walk around the screen kissing a picture of SJ. They of course also need to lack a sense of humor.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I wouldn't go as far as to say never. More difficult, yes. Apple's competition are releasing better ways for devs to create for their systems. I see that you left Android off your list... Interesting.

But I applaud the 100,000 apps (minus however many are unsuccessful clones, but are still lingering around the App Store...). Just means that much more apps that can be ported to other systems!

Good point about Android...just forgot!

I 'trust' Google more than MS, but have to say I find Google a little 'disjointed.' (Except for 'Search,' that is!) Edit: I use Google search everyday on my 3Gs and iMac!

Perhaps it is just familiarity with Apple, but I prefer Apple Mail to Gmail, iWeb, iPhoto, Safari, Pages, Address Book, iCal, and iTunes to any and all the offerings from MS, Google, etc.

The integration of Apple SW and MobileMe is superior to Google's offerings. I'm not sold on the 'Web-based' SW...2 or 3 clicks to log in and 'wait' for the page to load and then forget something and have to log in again.

Maybe I'm wrong...but Apple has it right and the rate of improvement in both Apple hardware, (Desktops, laptops, iPhones, etc.) and Apple software is staggering.

I'm reluctant to buy any tech hardware from anyone but Apple...mainly because I don't want to have to read a subpar manual. Think TV and cable box interfaces here.

Best.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

It is funny that Apple can take apps like t those and add them to the list calling it 100,000 apps. We should also have the Souiisoul and Quadra app where you have two guys that just walk around the screen kissing a picture of SJ. They of course also need to lack a sense of humor.

I wonder if anyone can point to any actual informed analysis of the composition of the App Store. Would you feel better if they didn't count apps that you don't consider to be worthy, and had to settle for 90,000? 80,000?

And if we do that, we're going to have to start winnowing apps on every other platform, yes? Or were you under the impression that there aren't any fart apps or tip calculators on Android?
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

100,000 apps, 85% percent garbage apps. Still, very impressive.

More like 95% garbage apps.

I'd much rather see 10,000 good apps. Wading through all the trash to find something good is not worth the effort when 9 out of 10 apps they add are trash. Even considering "someone else's junk is my jewel" there are *far* too many duplicates, low-functionality, and buggy apps. At some point, the number of apps in the app store is going to be seen as a negative issue rather than a positive issue. Indeed, if I were Android (Google) or Pre (Palm), I'd start pushing that fact.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I wonder if anyone can point to any actual informed analysis of the composition of the App Store. Would you feel better if they didn't count apps that you don't consider to be worthy, and had to settle for 90,000? 80,000?

And if we do that, we're going to have to start winnowing apps on every other platform, yes? Or were you under the impression that there aren't any fart apps or tip calculators on Android?

Actually I love the tip calculator. Its hard to comment bout the Android seeing it hasnt been released yet. But I can certainly give you a review once I have tried it.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That's about 100,000 reasons you can't stop the iPhone's momentum.

If so, then we'd have around 90,000 very crappy reasons why you can't stop the iPhone momentum.

But I don't think apps are that important for iPhone. They might be important (to some extend) for keeping people with iPhone, but not for purchasing it. I have yet to find anyone who purchased iPhone for 3rd party application - so far, most people I know (me included) got it for nice and easy way to handle addresses, txt, emails and Internet browsing. Some got it because it is Apple and considered cool. Everyone has extra apps, but again - I've yet to find anyone who is really hooked to a specific app.

In fact, I've yet to find shopping list equal to Palm's Handy Shopper, and Documents To Go for iPhone are still far from their counterparts on Palm (which is understandable as it is only first release for iPhone, compared to 8 or more on Palm).

On the other side, there were 50,000 apps for Palm OS beginning of 2008 and Palm claims they had more than 200,000 developers (presumably number of developer kits they have sold/distributed?). I'd say 50,000 almost two years ago was number to behold, however Palm has proved that no apps library can save your arse if your core product - hardware, OS and core apps - start lagging behind competition.

iPhone does have an extra "quality" Palm never really had - coolness factor - but still, I'd expect same will apply: if they slow down with improving their platform significantly, momentum will change.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good point about Android...just forgot!

I 'trust' Google more than MS, but have to say I find Google a little 'disjointed.' (Except for 'Search,' that is!) Edit: I use Google search everyday on my 3Gs and iMac!

Perhaps it is just familiarity with Apple, but I prefer Apple Mail to Gmail, iWeb, iPhoto, Safari, Pages, Address Book, iCal, and iTunes to any and all the offerings from MS, Google, etc.

The integration of Apple SW and MobileMe is superior to Google's offerings. I'm not sold on the 'Web-based' SW...2 or 3 clicks to log in and 'wait' for the page to load and then forget something and have to log in again.

Maybe I'm wrong...but Apple has it right and the rate of improvement in both Apple hardware, (Desktops, laptops, iPhones, etc.) and Apple software is staggering.

I'm reluctant to buy any tech hardware from anyone but Apple...mainly because I don't want to have to read a subpar manual. Think TV and cable box interfaces here.

Best.

It's definitely your familiarity with Apple products. Personally, the last time I used a Mac was when the G3s and G5s were around (high school days, roughly). I've just never been given a reason to personally want to switch to an Apple product. I've never had to crack open a manual for any of my electronic products either, but it's mostly because I tend to learn quickly on my own, even if it's something complex.

From what I've seen of Android 2.0, Google has turned most-to-all of their web-based stuff into widgets. And it seems like you only have to log in once and Eclair will pull all the data (Facebook, GMail, etc) and put them in the right places on the phone.

For being a relatively young product, Android itself is also climbing up there. I'm constantly checking up on it and seeing all these big-named smartphone makers jumping on the bandwagon. And with huge hardware specs to boot! I've also seen tidbits here and there of non-smartphone makers trying out Android on their products. Which means there'll be a big increase in the amount of developers and apps in the near future.

Like I said before, Apple hitting 100,000 apps just means that there's a giant pool of apps just waiting to be ported over to Android (heard that it's relatively easy with the 2.0 SDK). In the end, this is just better for us, the consumers. More choices at lower prices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

If so, then we'd have around 90,000 very crappy reasons why you can't stop the iPhone momentum.

But I don't think apps are that important for iPhone. They might be important (to some extend) for keeping people with iPhone, but not for purchasing it. I have yet to find anyone who purchased iPhone for 3rd party application - so far, most people I know (me included) got it for nice and easy way to handle addresses, txt, emails and Internet browsing. Some got it because it is Apple and considered cool. Everyone has extra apps, but again - I've yet to find anyone who is really hooked to a specific app.

In fact, I've yet to find shopping list equal to Palm's Handy Shopper, and Documents To Go for iPhone are still far from their counterparts on Palm (which is understandable as it is only first release for iPhone, compared to 8 or more on Palm).

On the other side, there were 50,000 apps for Palm OS beginning of 2008 and Palm claims they had more than 200,000 developers (presumably number of developer kits they have sold/distributed?). I'd say 50,000 almost two years ago was number to behold, however Palm has proved that no apps library can save your arse if your core product - hardware, OS and core apps - start lagging behind competition.

iPhone does have an extra "quality" Palm never really had - coolness factor - but still, I'd expect same will apply: if they slow down with improving their platform significantly, momentum will change.

I find this a very interesting post, if those numbers are right. The average consumer shopping for a new phone typically doesn't know about the behind-the-scenes stuff. The iPhone OS is very nice, and for that reason, Apple hasn't really needed to "improve" their platfrom much in the last 2 years (minus those basic upgrades ).

But if Apple keeps this up in the next year, I think they'll have some really stiff competition from Android-based phones (yes, yes, call me an Adroid fanboy if you want ). But you have to admit that with the high-end specs the new Android phones have, the iPhone can't rest on 100,000 apps for much longer. Who would have thought that a search engine company that came out of almost nowhere would end up challenging all-mighty Apple at their own game?
  • Reply 53 of 64
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Exactly. Could you imagine someone walking into a Grocery store and complaining about all the goods they aren't going to buy? "This store is nice, but there is too much to choose from. I only like 1% of the stuff in here."

- People are strange.

Actually there is large store chain with exactly that approach - ALDI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

I was told they are very successful, so there you go. From what I have heard from two of my German colleagues, they have specialized in having only one or two kinds of each product, but carefully selected, which guaranties good quality and low price (since they are pushing volumes of selected product, rather than diluting volumes with number of same products).
  • Reply 54 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Actually I love the tip calculator. Its hard to comment bout the Android seeing it hasnt been released yet. But I can certainly give you a review once I have tried it.

It sounds like you are talking about the Droid brand of phones from Moto/Verizon that run the Android mobile OS. Android was released about 2 years ago and the HTC G1 Android phone and Android Market have been out over a year now. There are over 10k apps on the Android Market.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It sounds like you are talking about the Droid brand of phones from Moto/Verizon that run the Android mobile OS. Android was released about 2 years ago and the HTC G1 Android phone and Android Market have been out over a year now. There are over 10k apps on the Android Market.

Good Try. However Android 2.0 is about a week old I believe it was released on Oct 26th this year. The Droid with Android software 2.0 has not been release so we really have no clue how well its going to look or work.

If your asking do I know that Android is a moble operating system running on Linux kernel, using Java language and was developed by Google, yeah I knew that a long time ago.

Not exactly rocket science. While it was taken over by Google in 2005 and has been running since 2007 most of the major releases have not come around until April of this year.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:

Good Try. However Android 2.0 is about a week old I believe it was released on Oct 26th this year. The Droid with Android software 2.0 has not been release so we really have no clue how well its going to look or work.

If your asking do I know that Android is a moble operating system running on Linux kernel, using Java language and was developed by Google, yeah I knew that a long time ago.

Not exactly rocket science. While it was taken over by Google in 2005 and has been running since 2007 most of the major releases have not come around until April of this year.

You stated Android, not Android 2.0, when Addabox asked about silly available on the Android Marketplace. You replied with “Its hard to comment bout the Android seeing it hasnt been released yet.” Something doesn’t jove between your posts.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You stated Android, not Android 2.0, when Addabox asked about silly available on the Android Marketplace. You replied with ?Its hard to comment bout the Android seeing it hasnt been released yet.? Something doesn?t jove between your posts.

Commenting about something not being released I was talking about the droid phone running the Android 2.0 software. A good example is multi touch is not supported until 2.0 so there are options I couldnt comment on because I have not used them yet.

However I am touched that you are concern about my technical knowledge but sleep well knowing this is rather simple compared to what I do on a daily basis.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Actually there is large store chain with exactly that approach - ALDI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

I was told they are very successful, so there you go. From what I have heard from two of my German colleagues, they have specialized in having only one or two kinds of each product, but carefully selected, which guaranties good quality and low price (since they are pushing volumes of selected product, rather than diluting volumes with number of same products).

This is probably something that would only work in their market. Whenever you increase selection and price points, sales increase. Greater variety is what consumers want because it is impossible to offer a product that does 100% of the things a person wants all the time... until there was iPhone. (Although even with 100K apps, there are huge gaps in the offerings).
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

(Although even with 100K apps, there are huge gaps in the offerings).

Very true. Can?t imagine what it will be like a year from now. I expect the Android Marketplace to have grown about as big as the App Store is now.

As the SDK matures and we start seeing 3rd-party accessories being built with 3rd-party apps in mind or, hopefully, APIs that actually dictate some conformity so that a D-Pad attachment from any company will work with any game that is utilize the APIs. The possible are endless but I think that is and easy one to conceive.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Commenting about something not being released I was talking about the droid phone running the Android 2.0 software. A good example is multi touch is not supported until 2.0 so there are options I couldnt comment on because I have not used them yet.

However I am touched that you are concern about my technical knowledge but sleep well knowing this is rather simple compared to what I do on a daily basis.

Huh. You seem to be wandering into the weeds. As Solipsism was saying, I was just pointing out that getting snarky about trivial apps being counted as part of the App Store's 100,000 total would oblige us to consider similar apps available for other platforms, for instance Android.

Not sure what waiting to see about Droid has to do with that. Does the Android app store start weeding out fart apps once Droid is widely available?