Apple's latest 10.6.2 beta packs fixes for VMWare, iMacs, Apple TV

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has released a new beta of the Mac OS X 10.6.2 update with fixes for various performance issues dealing with AirPort, graphics drivers, and Apple TV, among others.

Those familiar with the build, titled 10C540 have said that it contains fixes for AirPort performance issues on the newly released iMacs and also resolves a problem which arose when plugging and unplugging a system to an Apple TV. A VMWare fix is also included, presumably for the newly released Fusion version 3.0.

The new build also fixes reported panic issues with USB, Apple Filing Protocol, and some video cards.

In the 10.6.2 update, Apple plans on fixing and tweaking nearly 150 OS X components.

Some components slated for fixes include: AppleBacklight, Battery Menu, Dictionary, Expose, FileSync, Family Controls, Fonts, Front Row, HFS, Inkwell, iPhoto, MobileMe, OpenCL, Parental Controls, QuickTime, Screen Sharing, Spell Checker, Spotlight, Time Machine, and USB.

Mac OS X 10.6.2 is expected to be released sometime in November and will reportedly be around 480 MB in size.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Look like they're leaving no stone uncovered here. Taking their time and getting it all right.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    dgg32dgg32 Posts: 10member
    always beta, apple just lets snow leopard run around with dozens of bugs : )

A new beta means the release is pushed at least a week later. I thought that I could have seen it this week!

So it seems I have to install that magic mouse software, reluctantly.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dgg32 View Post

always beta, apple just let snow leopard run around with dozens of bugs : )

Did someone threaten you with severe consequences if you did not upgrade?

Stop complaining over silly things.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    dgg32dgg32 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The fact that I haven't got the upgrade more or less threatens me : )
  • Reply 5 of 83
    I'm stunned! I was told last week that there weren't any problems with SL. Amazing, there ARE actually problems with the OS that could effect how computers operate.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dgg32 View Post

always beta, apple just lets snow leopard run around with dozens of bugs : )

A new beta means the release is pushed at least a week later. I thought that I could have seen it this week!

So it seems I have to install that magic mouse software, reluctantly.

Umm, in those 5 extra buils they fixed 4 kernel panics and 1 system freeze. I'd say waiting 1 more week is worth have less kernel panics and system freezes.

Adi
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I'm stunned! I was told last week that there weren't any problems with SL. Amazing, there ARE actually problems with the OS that could effect how computers operate.

Shocking isn't it? Funny I was told the same thing last week. I thought it just worked like your toaster.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

are they still shipping new Mac's with 10.5?
  • Reply 9 of 83
    leafyleafy Posts: 34member
    Hopefully the 'vmware fix' mentioned is related to the VMWare Fusion 3.0 mds/mdworker issue that renders the system almost unresponsive. Now we know who the murderer is.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Why would you want 10.5 when you could have the latest and greatest bugs.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Look like they're leaving no stone uncovered here. Taking their time and getting it all right.

What exactly does that AppleTV problem mean? IS it that is keeps re-syncing files that have already been synced before? It used to work before,now they have to get it right? What does that mean?
  • Reply 12 of 83
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac OS X 10.6.2 is expected to be released sometime in November and will reportedly be around 480 MB in size.

AppleInsider must have some self-esteem issue with size. Why is the size of the update such an issue with them? They think the bigger it is the more it does? No one cares.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Why would you want 10.5 when you could have the latest and greatest bugs.

Are you talkin Windows 7 again?
  • Reply 14 of 83
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

AppleInsider must have some self-esteem issue with size. Why is the size of the update such an issue with them? They think the bigger it is the more it does? No one cares.

I believe the issue with size is users may be concerned with the amount they'll be required to download - some people have download limits.

Also the size does somewhat matter. 10.6.1 was a very minor update, where as .2, like all .2 releases, is a quite hefty "let's get this system in shape" release. .1's are for the glaringly obvious bugs, .2's are "iron out minor creases" releases. You can see this in file size. Apple replaces more pieces of the OS, so it needs to store more replacement pieces in the update. The size is thus directly related to patch count.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leafy View Post

Hopefully the 'vmware fix' mentioned is related to the VMWare Fusion 3.0 mds/mdworker issue that renders the system almost unresponsive. Now we know who the murderer is.

i personally hope that it relates to the fact that USB audio devices are useless under a virtual environment in 10.6 - the further mention of USB, these two fixes being mentioned for the first time mind you, gives me hope that this is the case.

care to elaborate on your mds issue? i don't have any problems...
  • Reply 16 of 83
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Inkwell??? That doesn't get updated that often.

"Tablet" anyone?
  • Reply 17 of 83
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

you joke but $%^&#* Microsoft still has an annoying RSS bug in Windows 7/IE 8. i set my RSS feeds to update every 15 minutes and they don't. a lot of times i have to say refresh all and today even that didn't work. it has been there since the early days of Vista. i think i'm finally going to check it out on MS Connect and see if anyone ever filed a bug report.

i'd jump to Firefox 100% but i still like the IE 8 RSS reader better than anything on Firefox.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I'm stunned! ... Amazing, there ARE actually problems with the OS that could effect how computers operate. ...

You are indeed "stunned" in the 1970's pejorative sense of the term. i.e.- ignorant (of the facts), and quasi-illiterate (in terms your grammatical structure.)
  • Reply 19 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Haven't had the need for Windows 7 yet. Still running Vista x64 without any problems.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

The news Macs are a couple of weeks old, and ship with 10.6.1. This is a small update of that version. What is the big deal here -- are you saying that a significant proportion of buyers of the two-week old Macs are left with massive bugs until this comes out? Care to provide any evidence for that?