Bell, Telus provide new iPhone competition in Canada

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's already been said, but yeah, not really competition and so far Telus and Bell are providing less service for quite a bit higher prices.

I pay about $70.00 a month for 6GB from fido and all the basic phone stuff. Telus is offering 1GB for $100.00 a month.

There's no info for the plan pricing on the Telus site. They're only launching the iPhone tomorrow.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

It's absurd that you complain about a 2 year contract when you had a choice not get a contract and just pay list price for the device.

A little reading comprehension is in order on your part. Nothing I said was a complaint. It was a joke. On top of that, I?ve stated many times that you pay for the handset either way and the cheaper method is to sign a contract than to not to.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A little reading comprehension is in order on your part. Nothing I said was a complaint. It was a joke. On top of that, I?ve stated many times that you pay for the handset either way and the cheaper method is to sign a contract than to not to.

How come everyone on here has a reading disorder except yourself? Have you ever asked yourself that question?
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Canadian carriers are the ONLY reason I don't have an iPhone...it's ludicrous. Rogers won't even let an iPhone plan be part of their bundle discounts when you have cable and internet with them. It's robbery and it stinks.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

There's no info for the plan pricing on the Telus site. They're only launching the iPhone tomorrow.

So far what I've found out what their rates could be is at this link:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...ices-revealed/

Guess we'll all know tomorrow.

Btw, I've been with Telus for years and have had great service over that time.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Btw, I've been with Telus for years and have had great service over the that time.

Cool! Yours is the first post (ever) I can recall from a Canadian that actually says something non-negative about service providers up North!

Maybe you should duck.....
  • Reply 27 of 39
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCloud View Post

From how I read the article, it makes it seem that Telus and Bell's iPhone will only work in small pockets across Canada as it'll not be compatible with either Edge or CDMA networks. Can anyone confirm/deny/clarify my understanding?

Yes. Telus has confirmed this for me directly: I'm in Manitoba, and I will not be able to get/use a Telus iPhone here until Q3 2010 because the network simply will not work with the device until then.

Even Rogers has virtually no service to speak of outside of the city here. CDMA covers 97% of the province, GSM less than 3%. Even Rogers' own maps make it look like they have significantly more coverage than they really do.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cool! Yours is the first post (ever) I can recall from a Canadian that actually says something non-negative about service providers up North!

Maybe you should duck.....

Maybe I should post more often. Must be my upbringing. Treat others as you want yourself to be treated.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Treat others as you want yourself to be treated......

.....regardless of how they treat you!
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

.....regardless of how they treat you!

Yuppers! Especially if they're pointing a weapon at you.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

And by competition, you mean multiple carriers all charging pretty much the same price, with the same length contracts (3 Years!), with fairly similar data caps and E.T.F's?

.....The carriers up here only 'compete' using the very loosest definition...

Don't forget to add the mandatory S.A.F..... Funny how they've all settled on $6.95 per month. "Nope. No collusion here, folks. Nothing to see, please keep traffic moving."
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Yes. Telus has confirmed this for me directly: I'm in Manitoba, and I will not be able to get/use a Telus iPhone here until Q3 2010 because the network simply will not work with the device until then.

Even Rogers has virtually no service to speak of outside of the city here. CDMA covers 97% of the province, GSM less than 3%. Even Rogers' own maps make it look like they have significantly more coverage than they really do.

Well, Roger's is probably going by line of site for their map. If you can see the tower from where you are standing, they just assume you can get a signal. And Manitoba is FLAT!

• Reply 33 of 39
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I'm glad there's some competition in the UK now. I can save up to 63p (about $1) if I swap to Orange!
  • Reply 34 of 39
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Are you Canadians still stuck with ludicrous 36 month contracts?

It's an unbelievably long time given how much advancement there's been in mobile phones since 2006 which is when some Canadians would have signed contracts they are still locked in to.

Yes. I think Canada is the ONLY country to have 3-year contracts. Oh, and when I got my 3G s, the three years started over from day 1.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCloud View Post

From how I read the article, it makes it seem that Telus and Bell's iPhone will only work in small pockets across Canada as it'll not be compatible with either Edge or CDMA networks. Can anyone confirm/deny/clarify my understanding?

You are correct. When you are outside of 3G coverage, you will have no service. Contrasted with Rogers, where you fall back to edge if you lose 3G.

That's what makes Bell's rates (and I assume Telus) so funny. Rogers actually managed to take some market share away from Bell/telus without having to do anything, other than carry the iPhone. The three of them have an understanding, that is pretty much out right collusion, not to poach each others customers. This is why their rates are almost identical, their fees are the same, the same services are 'extras' for all three, etc. Yet, now that Bell/Telus have the chance to take back some of the customers they lost by carrying the iPhone too, the only option left for them would be to beat rogers on rates and plans. They won't. That would break their unwritten, unspoken agreement.

Alternative carriers do not mean competition if the carriers all refuse to compete. This is why the Canadian cellular carriers are the most profitable in the world (amongst anyway)

What is even more unfortunate, is that one of the new national carriers we were supposed to get next year (Wind) has just been blocked by the CRTC (similar to FCC), because of foreign ownership restrictions. What is bizarre is that their ownership was already declared OK by the Competition Bureau (similar to FTC) and was approved. But, Rogers/Bell/Telus lobbied the CRTC to block them, because Wind made no secret that they were going to upset the status quo and actually compete on price. The last time there was a national carrier that dared to compete, Fido, the big three basically just threw dice to decide which on would buy them out.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Would be nice if Sprint, Verizion, US Cellular, etc. did the switch like Bell and Telus did.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Well, speaking of Canadian service, anyone have Fido? I'm thinking about going that route, I just wanted to hear how people were liking/disliking it versus the other guys.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Well, speaking of Canadian service, anyone have Fido? I'm thinking about going that route, I just wanted to hear how people were liking/disliking it versus the other guys.

Fido == Rogers

I have compared the Bell's plan with Telus's and Rogers': the $45 plan (excluding system access fees, etc., of course ) seems to fit my needs. I don't chat endlessly and 500MB per month is good enough for me. Simply put I just want to have an iPod that I can use as a phone. But then do I want to sign up with Bell for 3 yrs? No thanks! Not to mention it is pretty closed to what the others are offering at the moment. There is no competition up here... only collusion.

I guess no iPhone for me. I hope when they roll out the "iTablet" I can just get one w/o a plan from an Apple Store...
  • Reply 39 of 39
    The fact that Telus and Bell offered essentially the same terms as Rogers for the iPhone is the smoking gun that there's collusion among the three cell phone providers. The fact that they're so callous about making it obvious indicates that they can pretty much take it to the bank that the CRTC will do nothing about it.

At least this is one area where Americans don't get screwed as badly as Canadians. There are four cell phone providers versus three in Canada.