Hacker cracks Apple's latest iPhone 3GS security measures

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You speeding doesn't void your support contract of getting the car fixed if you wreck it.

You JBing your phone deserves to see it turn into a piece of costume jewelry as Apple should void your support contract.

You are correct about the warranty and voiding it....but that is not what his analogy was about.

We are all responsible for our actions. We have the choice of right or wrong.

There are ALWAYS going to be people to break the law....ALWAYS....it is just human nature.

And if you drive and speed the chances of an auto accident rises dramatically.

The chances of you hurting someone are greater than if you don't speed. so if we take his analogy then why should we have cars capable of going over the speed limit? Because it is proven that bad things will happen if you speed. But not everyone speeds yet their cars are capable of going over the speed limit.

His analogy is flawed.......
  • Reply 62 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

You are correct about the warranty and voiding it....but that is not what his analogy was about.

We are all responsible for our actions. We have the choice of right or wrong.

There are ALWAYS going to be people to break the law....ALWAYS....it is just human nature.

And if you drive and speed the chances of an auto accident rises dramatically.

The chances of you hurting someone are greater than if you don't speed. so if we take his analogy then why should we have cars capable of going over the speed limit? Because it is proven that bad things will happen if you speed. But not everyone speeds yet their cars are capable of going over the speed limit.

I will totally agree that it should void your warranty thems the breaks of what your doing, however simply because that rule is there does not mean it is "ethical", personally I believe that apple should learn to incorporate some of what JBing has produced such on using the lockscreen for your calendar or messages or email etc then im happy to jump back to a non JBed iPhone until then however im keeping this one. But if apple refuses to listen to its consumers then I for one will jump ship or simply continue to JB my phone.

Honest question for everyone who perhaps is more programming savvy then I,

Is there a reason Apple cannot open its phones OS up set some standards for modifying its appearence such as springboard and themes etc and incorporate some of the JBed stuff into the next release?

The only reason I can think of is they dont want to reveal their OS to the world which makes sense, I just see no valuable Market reason for keeping such a closed system when clearly JBing is enough of a problem that they keep attacking it every release, they could be making money off it!
  • Reply 63 of 90
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Until recently one of our states (Northern Territory) in Australia had roads without speed limits, I wanted to go there and drive at 150mph I could, legally.

Therefore there was no limit as to how fast a car could go in Australia

Doesn't the US have a State like that?

Nevada or something?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

...so if we take his analogy then why should we have cars capable of going over the speed limit? Because it is proven that bad things will happen if you speed. But not everyone speeds yet their cars are capable of going over the speed limit.

• Reply 64 of 90
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Until recently one of our states (Northern Territory) in Australia had roads without speed limits, I wanted to go there and drive at 150mph I could, legally.

Therefore there was no limit as to how fast a car could go in Australia

Doesn't the US have a State like that?

Nevada or something?

No states here like that! :-)

But there is the Autobahn in Germany that has no speed limits...... sounds like fun!
  • Reply 65 of 90
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

...and if that "customising and utilising" means that a person can install pirated Apps which can't be done on a non-jailbroken iPhone then the ultimate responsibility comes down to the people who make it become possible.

Congratulations your hobby enables pirates.

Congratulations your hobby threatens developers livelihoods.

Congratulations your hobby threatens one of the most successful business models of recent years.

i've copied software since the 1980's on the commodore 64 when my parents bought me a computer but couldn't afford to buy me anything else. the only way to stop piracy is to make a system where it's too hard. like in app purchasing.

the entire iTunes DRM scheme is easy to crack and has been for years because the client does too much of the work

and its very funny how a teenager cracked a protection scheme made up by people with CS degrees from Stanford
  • Reply 66 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

I will totally agree that it should void your warranty thems the breaks of what your doing, however simply because that rule is there does not mean it is "ethical", personally I believe that apple should learn to incorporate some of what JBing has produced such on using the lockscreen for your calendar or messages or email etc then im happy to jump back to a non JBed iPhone until then however im keeping this one. But if apple refuses to listen to its consumers then I for one will jump ship or simply continue to JB my phone.

Is there a reason Apple cannot open its phones OS up set some standards for modifying its appearence such as springboard and themes etc and incorporate some of the JBed stuff into the next release?

The only reason I can think of is they dont want to reveal their OS to the world which makes sense, I just see no valuable Market reason for keeping such a closed system when clearly JBing is enough of a problem that they keep attacking it every release, they could be making money off it!

same reason why the Mac got spanked in the 1990's. Steve Jobs is OCD about having a walled garden and controlling everything. Apple already took a lot of what JB people did and put it on the supported OS and new home screens are supposedly coming.

my 3GS contract ends in 2011 and i'm going to jump ship as well because it seems Android is making more progress than Apple. it's not like a $3000 computer back in the 90's with money invested in software that you would have to repurchase. it's a lot easier to buy a new cell phone.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Jailbreaking is cool. And my font is bigger than yours!!
  • Reply 68 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

new home screens are supposedly coming.

What is the rumor on this? I?ve seen some very non-user0friendly mock-ups, but nothing that looked good. I would like to have folders now that they can be organized via iTunes with ease.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The internet enables piracy, too,

and hence the hollywood movie studios are taking a small ISP in Australia to court as a test case.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

as a non-jailbreaker, i completely agree with you. i can see why apple wants to (and has the right to) restrict how their product is used/modified, but i think that the jb community opens up the possibilities with the device.

I personally feel that if all the options that jb'ing allows in terms of customisation and multi-tasking etc were available out of the box, it would open up a "world of hurt" in terms of performance and battery life for the majority of users who are less savvy in managing these things. I hope in the near future Apple brings some of these features on-board... til then i'll wait patiently, enjoying my un-jailbroken phone.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Heheheh, just release the fucking iPhone unlocked, you can't expect to have such a cool device just for a niche. APPLE WILL NEVER WIN THIS CRAPPY WAR, IT IS IM-PO-SSI-BLE. Steve Jobs should know this, he was a hacker and now he's been hacked. Not a good sentiment Steve to know you are being robbed right? Well, these kids are thirsty for more. Are you ready to expend a couple of millions more trying to secure your device just for nothing? Everybody wants an iPhone, just give it to everybody. What's the fucking problem anyway? People are willing to pay for them.

I'll never understand that effort for selling it locked, it's plain stupid!
  • Reply 72 of 90
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Heheheh, just release the fucking iPhone unlocked, you can't expect to have such a cool device just for a niche. APPLE WILL NEVER WIN THIS CRAPPY WAR, IT IS IM-PO-SSI-BLE. Steve Jobs should know this, he was a hacker and now he's been hacked. Not a good sentiment Steve to know you are being robbed right? Well, these kids are thirsty for more. Are you ready to expend a couple of millions more trying to secure your device just for nothing? Everybody wants an iPhone, just give it to everybody. What's the fucking problem anyway? People are willing to pay for them.

I'll never understand that effort for selling it locked, it's plain stupid!

The fact that it is a niche product is partly what makes it cool .... how cool would it be if everybody had one? .... Besides, the last time I looked, anyone wanting one could go through the "proper channels" and get one, what's the problem? ... Oh, I get it, you want the steak but not with a baked potato, and not house salad but Greek salad ... sorry, no substitutions ... not happy? feel free to go somewhere else, lottsa choices, lottsa restaurants, just stop your whining and bitchin'
  • Reply 73 of 90
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I reported on the whole topic as open propaganda of piracy and thievery. I saved both pages of that to come onto this point and review it with "Apple enthusiasts" at good moment.
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:

I will totally agree that it should void your warranty thems the breaks of what your doing...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You speeding doesn't void your support contract of getting the car fixed if you wreck it.

You JBing your phone deserves to see it turn into a piece of costume jewelry as Apple should void your support contract.

Why the mean spiritedness and hoping that peoples' phones should become junk just because they put some software on it? Let them enjoy it, it really doesn't harm you at all, and I'd argue that if it weren't for jailbreakers adding features and apps that Apple didn't, we'd still be back on firmware 1.x with web-apps only. That was Apple's original stance on what apps should be.

re: warranties: under California law, which Apple operates, and probably most other states in the US, it is illegal to 100% void a warranty because of user modifications to a product. You can only void that portion of the warranty that the user modification directly impacted.

The typical example used to explain this concept is a car.

Say a user installs custom speakers or sound systems in their car. They've made an "unauthorized" modification to the car, so their entire warranty should be voided under your logic?however, the only part of the warranty that can be voided is the sound system. If the transmission goes bad, the transmission is still covered under warranty. Kind of ridiculous any other way isn't it? The sound system in no way impacts the transmission.

Take that law and apply it to our iPhone scenario:

If you modify the software in an "unauthorized" manner, and then the touchscreen or a external speaker goes bad, why would you think your warranty to repair that hardware defect should be voided? The software in no way caused the speaker to go bad. Does that make sense, or are you anti-jailbreakers so blinded by your hatred of jailbreakers that you just want them to suffer for any and all reasons?

In the real world, my personal experience is exactly that of my iPhone example. My first iPhone (2g - purchased the first day of sale) was jailbroken. A year into owning the iPhone, the external speaker went bad. I had no problem replacing the phone under AppleCare warranty service despite the previous jailbreaking.

Apple would have every right to turn away a jailbreaker with software issues, but I suspect in reality, the typical Genius at the Apple Store isn't going to. Most of the Apple employees I've actually spoken about jailbreaking with have actually jailbroken their own iPhones (though, granted, I've not discussed it with them in a while). Why wouldn't they, they're geeks if they work the genius bar, and what geek doesn't like to modify their computers (the iPhone is a computer, not a phone...).

Bottom line, if they can help you at the Genius bar, jailbroken or not, they're gonna try, even if the advice is to "restore to Apple firmware". If they do turn you away, go back home, restore Apple firmware via iTunes, and return. There's no reason to turn you away at that point.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    Quote:

Apple already took a lot of what JB people did and put it on the supported OS and new home screens are supposedly coming.

And do you think Apple would have done that if it weren't for jailbreakers? I doubt it. Remember, their original stance was that all apps should be web-apps (widgets). Ugh.

Quote:

my 3GS contract ends in 2011 and i'm going to jump ship as well because it seems Android is making more progress than Apple. it's not like a $3000 computer back in the 90's with money invested in software that you would have to repurchase. it's a lot easier to buy a new cell phone.

If jailbreaking finally gets locked out permanently, I'll probably switch away from the iPhone as well, unless Apple allows all the features I jailbreak for. I'll disagree to some extent with your comment about software, though.

Those of us who don't pirate software probably have a substantial investment in iPhone software (apps) already. I've spent hundreds of dollars on apps for my iPhone, an exponential amount more than I ever did for my Palm Treo. That's the real lock-in to the iPhone Apple is creating. I'd have to think hard to throw all that software away if Android or WinMo can't offer replacements in functionality for free or a very low price.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    The reaction on this issue is absolutely unacceptable.

The message is sent to Kasper.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinite_entropy View Post

Can it enable iPhone tethering? If I had that, I'd be ridiculously happy, I could ditch my USB EVDO card!

Inhabe not looked into this but have been with AT&T fir 10+ years. I jail broke it when they pulled the GV Mobile. I have not unlocked it. Apparently this does both.

Since jail breaking I get:

Free teethering.

Ability to run any program in the background.

Free Tom Tom.

Memory release programs.

GV Mobile which gives me a new free number which I added to AT&T A-List so now all call routed through that number are free. Great for long business call or call to parents during the week.

A program that allows you to quickly swipe up, down, sideways to get anywhere fast. Very useful on long forums and reading postings.

A program called inteliscreen that shows you weather, rss feeds, missed calls, missed text on the home screen without opening, swiping open the phone. Each also has a function to launch the inividual program from outside the phone ie not having to go to text program but just hit a button and you can reply.

Another Free program that when you are doing something, on s call, radio , websurfing if some sends a text you can reply without shutting down whatever you are doing.

Lots of very cool free games.

Did I mention free teethering?

Video for 3G phones, non 3GS.

Lots of cool camera apps that feature light correction, zooming, shaking.

A program that if you place your fingers on the battery and signal strength, a screen pops up for fast notes, processes you can kill off, free ram, turn on or off 3G, respring qhich is a way of rebooting in 1/10th the time and more.

Sorry, am in the phone now but there is a whole lot more and this is what I can think off right now. The GV Mobile is great as if you use gv mobile voice mail, you can listen in or when a person calls it asks for there name, your phone rings then you can either anwser or send to voicemail plus you can get a transcript emailed it a text transcibed or both not to mention set up groups so if you were traveling, you could have you parents phone ruby, your cell ring, etc or if it's you parents calling you Gould have every phone you are near, ring including hotel, evryones cell in your group, all land lines or work phones. It's an amazing feature and I think it was pulled due to putting in that number as an AT&T a list phone and have very long, free calls.

Still haven't figured out free text and have swirly text plus mms text way before it was offered by Apple and oh yeah, you can download torrents from free tv shows and out them on here or you could use a flash plugin and then watch flash website tv shows or you could buy each of them (a-hem), from iTunes at $1.99-$2.99 for something already free for most shows. This is why we may never see flash in the iPhone or DVR on the Apple TV. The subscription sounds good but the wife and I hardly ever turn on the tv anymore.
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

And do you think Apple would have done that if it weren't for jailbreakers? I doubt it. Remember, their original stance was that all apps should be web-apps (widgets). Ugh.

If jailbreaking finally gets locked out permanently, I'll probably switch away from the iPhone as well, unless Apple allows all the features I jailbreak for. I'll disagree to some extent with your comment about software, though.

Those of us who don't pirate software probably have a substantial investment in iPhone software (apps) already. I've spent hundreds of dollars on apps for my iPhone, an exponential amount more than I ever did for my Palm Treo. That's the real lock-in to the iPhone Apple is creating. I'd have to think hard to throw all that software away if Android or WinMo can't offer replacements in functionality for free or a very low price.

between my wife and I we've spent maybe $50. we're not JB'd and there are a ton of free apps out there. there are even apps and websites to track when apps go free or drop in price. a lot of time the devs will make an app free for a day or a few days to get it on the charts and then raise the price again.

i get a daily email with 20-40 apps a day that are free because the devs made them free
  • Reply 79 of 90
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    LOL!!!

I'm like wiping tears from my eyes. I've been laughing so hard at this thread. It is downright HILARIOUS how delusional some people around here can be at times.

In order to rob a bank YOU MUST WALK THROUGH THE DOOR! Lock all doors and you'll never have a bank robbery

Anyone who thinks all jailbreakers are pirating software are as about as ignorant as bubba thinking all black people have tails. You have no idea what you're talking about and yet you've determined without any doubt that you're the only correct one here (and I'm not directly addressing anyone because they know who they are.)

Piracy = bad

Being able to do what you want with your property = good

Punishing all for the negative actions of a few = retarded.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Jailbreaking is cool. And my font is bigger than yours!!

• Reply 80 of 90
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

...and if that "customising and utilising" means that a person can install pirated Apps which can't be done on a non-jailbroken iPhone then the ultimate responsibility comes down to the people who make it become possible.

Congratulations your hobby enables pirates.

Congratulations your hobby threatens developers livelihoods.

Congratulations your hobby threatens one of the most successful business models of recent years.

So does yours! (Assuming you count using a computer as a hobby.) If nobody used computers there would be no software piracy.

If nobody drove cars, there would be no-one killed by drink driving.

I'm a developer, and I'm very anti piracy. But I wish Apple could find a way to stop piracy without also stopping jailbreaking.

Amorya