Hackers crack Apple's iTunes gift card algorithm

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    how much did they invest in getting that done? Oh, young passionate keyboard guys...
  • Reply 62 of 72
    wwwsqwwwsq Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I always wonder (bigger picture wise), how on earth that many people will eventually be integrated into "world society" when they have such low regard for law or morality. I mean we will all be one people some day, but how that's going to work with China has always mystified me.

Say what you will about other countries and peoples, but Chinese culture seems to have a rampant moral blindness. Even the most radical Islamic terrorist actually do what they do because they thinks it's "right" and moral to do so.

It seems like the whole of Chinese culture is based just on mercantile interests sometimes. Communist in name, Capitalist in outlook, ends up being Fascist in practice IMO. Rush Limbaugh and Co. would be right at home there.

And no, ... not a racist, lots of Chinese friends etc. (who mostly agree with this).

I am Chinese. Let me say that: say bad words behind someone is not so good.

To judge if someone is moral depends on how you define 'moral'.

You western invent electricity that's good, but you also bring two world wars and atomic bomb which would kill all human race.

China invent paper, printing, compass. Nothing harmful to the world.

So, what's moral?
  • Reply 63 of 72
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wwwsq View Post

You western invent electricity that's good, but you also bring two world wars and atomic bomb which would kill all human race.

So, what's moral?

Fireworks?? The first ballistic missiles ever! Seriously, I think you missed his point.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    China's disregard for intellectual property is why my computer still says "Designed in the USA and assembled in China".

Their system promotes emulation instead of innovation.

Without developing a culture of creativity into the fabric of modern China, they won't have anything significant to offer the world (other than cheap labor) for a long time.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:

So, what's moral?

China invented gunpowder and were also the first to use it as a weapon.

But aside from that, does mass theft of intellectual property not do any harm to the world? If you say no, it doesn't, then this, sir is a prime example of the differences in morals that we are talking about here.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

So how does Apple fix this without breaking existing legit Gift Cards

Perhaps the algorithm used for physical gift cards is different than for gift card codes that are generated from within iTunes (which are then emailed?)

Also... if you go to iTunes and choose "Buy iTunes Gifts", you can now only email and print gift certificates up to $50 in value. You could previously buy them in larger denominations, like $75, $100 or $200. Could this change be related to the wide-spread news about the hacked $200 codes? Are attempts to redeem codes for values over $50 now being rejected?

If you ever looked at any of the eBay auctions for "cheap iTunes gift cards", a lot of them would have verbiage about "must be redeemed within 12 hours". Why would their "cracked" codes expire in such a short amount of time?

Definitely an interesting situation.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

China invented gunpowder and were also the first to use it as a weapon.

But aside from that, does mass theft of intellectual property not do any harm to the world? If you say no, it doesn't, then this, sir is a prime example of the differences in morals that we are talking about here.

Gunpowder can not kill all human race. Atomic bombs can.

Intellectual property protection is one side of the fact, the knowledge sharing is another.

Shall we ask you for the license fee of paper and gunpowder?

OK, you can say that's too far, that's too old.

If one invention can be protected for 50 years, why not 1000 years, why not 10000 years?

Chinese technology was dropped behind in the past hundreds year, it's our fault, now we have to learn from you. Just like many year ago, China brings good inventions to the world.

China should pay cost to get the modern technologies. But there should be a balance.

Cheap labor means working hard with low payment, it's part of the cost. (Do you want to be a cheap labor?)

In this specific case, Apple was hurt. Apple can negotiate or go to court. That's OK.

It's nothing to do with the moral of a whole country.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    Quote:

Gunpowder can not kill all human race. Atomic bombs can.

Intellectual property protection is one side of the fact, the knowledge sharing is another.

Shall we ask you for the license fee of paper and gunpowder?

OK, you can say that's too far, that's too old.

If one invention can be protected for 50 years, why not 1000 years, why not 10000 years?

Chinese technology was dropped behind in the past hundreds year, it's our fault, now we have to learn from you. Just like many year ago, China brings good inventions to the world.

China should pay cost to get the modern technologies. But there should be a balance.

Cheap labor means working hard with low payment, it's part of the cost. (Do you want to be a cheap labor?)

In this specific case, Apple was hurt. Apple can negotiate or go to court. That's OK.

It's nothing to do with the moral of a whole country.

I am Chinese as well. But I hold a slightly different opinion than you.

You cannot morally justify this hack simply because Chinese inventions were copied in the past. If you review Chinese history, you will find that it did everything in its power to prevent the flow of its invention out of the country. People were executed for attempting to smuggle silkworms in order to protect the silk trade. Porcelain production was concentrated in guarded cities to prevent the technique from spreading (Which force the Germans & the Dutch to invent it themselves.) So, the reaction of the US to the wanton copying of its IP should not be a surprise. Nor is it out of line with historical precedents.

As to the accusation that Chinese lack a moral code, that could not be more wrong. Chinese culture is heavily based on Confucius, one of the great philosophers and moral teachers in world history. Chinese culture is also heavily based upon concepts of honor, duty and loyalty. What you see now in the PRC is a breakdown of these values due to the concerted effort the Communist Party. Through events such as the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution, the Party systemically destroyed the traditional moral code and replaced it with its ersatz one (Cult of Mao, manipulation of nationalism, etc.) Add to this toxic mix rampant corruption and the lack of rule of law (China historically is a country that abides by the concept of rule of man.), you get the wild wild west you see where individual profit trumps all moral and societal concerns. If you want proof that Chinese culture is moral, take a look at rural China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, & Singapore. The last three are well-run, modern states/administrative regions where rule of law is respected with entrenched Chinese communities. And in rural China, you will find a place where good people are trying to live a good, simple life.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Canada, eh? View Post

I am Chinese as well. But I hold a slightly different opinion than you.

You cannot morally justify this hack simply because Chinese inventions were copied in the past. If you review Chinese history, you will find that it did everything in its power to prevent the flow of its invention out of the country. People were executed for attempting to smuggle silkworms in order to protect the silk trade. Porcelain production was concentrated in guarded cities to prevent the technique from spreading (Which force the Germans & the Dutch to invent it themselves.) So, the reaction of the US to the wanton copying of its IP should not be a surprise. Nor is it out of line with historical precedents.

As to the accusation that Chinese lack a moral code, that could not be more wrong. Chinese culture is heavily based on Confucius, one of the great philosophers and moral teachers in world history. Chinese culture is also heavily based upon concepts of honor, duty and loyalty. What you see now in the PRC is a breakdown of these values due to the concerted effort the Communist Party. Through events such as the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution, the Party systemically destroyed the traditional moral code and replaced it with its ersatz one (Cult of Mao, manipulation of nationalism, etc.) Add to this toxic mix rampant corruption and the lack of rule of law (China historically is a country that abides by the concept of rule of man.), you get the wild wild west you see where individual profit trumps all moral and societal concerns. If you want proof that Chinese culture is moral, take a look at rural China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, & Singapore. The last three are well-run, modern states/administrative regions where rule of law is respected with entrenched Chinese communities. And in rural China, you will find a place where good people are trying to live a good, simple life.

I did not morally justify this hack. Someone else morally justified. And someone expand his moral justification to a whole country.

I suggest Apple to negotiate or go to court.

PS: In this case, I think the hacker cracks for the money is not good.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Looks like someone pulled the plug. I can't find anymore of these auctions on Taobao. ?
  • Reply 71 of 72
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Apple should implement a PIN system for the gift cards. When the card is purchased, the retailer has to activate the card and as part of the activation system Apple would provide a PIN for that card number.

there already is an activation system. apple can, and probably has, set up a search program that can run a card code and see if there is a retail activation. this could be how they are cutting off accounts that are using fake cards. which sucks for the peeps doing it on the idiot defense cause they will lose all their DRM stuff.

moral of the story. if you have such a fake card, use it with a fresh account and only on DRM free music.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prnoct90 View Post

Looks like someone pulled the plug. I can't find anymore of these auctions on Taobao. ?

Hi guys I have a few genuine vouchers, I got from my work. I want to sell them, asap.

I will sell them for cheap price!

I have a £200 and £100 UK store itune.

Make me an offer