AppleTV Automatically Deleting Content?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just got this message from Apple:

-----

Dear Customer,

If you've installed the Apple TV 3.0 software update, you should immediately update to version 3.0.1. This prevents content from temporarily disappearing until it is resynced.

To update your Apple TV software:

1. Reboot your Apple TV (unplug the power cord and plug it back in)

2. Select Settings > General from the main menu

3. Select Update Software

4. Select Download and Install

Note: Your Apple TV will conduct a restart, which is followed by the Apple logo and a status bar.

For more information, please refer to this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3116

If you need further assistance with your Apple TV, contact AppleCare.

Sincerely,

Apple TV Team

------

I checked iTunes, and indeed, all the music that I stored there had disappeared (but photos are still there)! It is resyncing my music from scratch now.

Anyone have a better sense of what's going on?

Add: Apple sent the email to all three email accounts of mine, the first time that has happened. Obviously they must think this was a major screw-up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Its called a bug
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Its called a bug

Thanks, Mr. Smartypants, I wouldn't have guessed!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just got this message from Apple:

-----

Dear Customer,

If you've installed the Apple TV 3.0 software update, you should immediately update to version 3.0.1. This prevents content from temporarily disappearing until it is resynced.

To update your Apple TV software:

1. Reboot your Apple TV (unplug the power cord and plug it back in)

2. Select Settings > General from the main menu

3. Select Update Software

4. Select Download and Install

Note: Your Apple TV will conduct a restart, which is followed by the Apple logo and a status bar.

For more information, please refer to this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3116

If you need further assistance with your Apple TV, contact AppleCare.

Sincerely,

Apple TV Team

------

I checked iTunes, and indeed, all the music that I stored there had disappeared (but photos are still there)! It is resyncing my music from scratch now.

Anyone have a better sense of what's going on?

Add: Apple sent the email to all three email accounts of mine, the first time that has happened. Obviously they must think this was a major screw-up.

Good thing they are testing this shit thoroughly before sending it out. Thats embarrassing, and the warning/upgrade was too late, mine already lost everything and went through the resync, I assume a lot of others did too . I only have video sync'd up with my atv, so I don't knwo about the music, but it lost all 120GB+ that I had on it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Good thing they are testing this shit thoroughly before sending it out. Thats embarrassing, and the warning/upgrade was too late, mine already lost everything and went through the resync, I assume a lot of others did too . I only have video sync'd up with my atv, so I don't knwo about the music, but it lost all 120GB+ that I had on it.

In my experience, this is the worst incident of this kind at Apple. The fact that this has not caused a major furor (e.g., a la Microsoft and the lost cloud with T-Mobile) is because @TV is still a 'hobby' product.

It's not ready for prime time.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I suppose because unlike MS's issue, its not like you actually lost any data. The Apple TV is just one big iTunes cache and its like clearing the cache.

Yes, its a big bug - but more of an inconvenience than anything since there is no data loss.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

In my experience, this is the worst incident of this kind at Apple. The fact that this has not caused a major furor (e.g., a la Microsoft and the lost cloud with T-Mobile) is because @TV is still a 'hobby' product.

It's not ready for prime time.

Then why'd you ask? I thought you were a newb so I responded as such. I was also trying to down play the significance of this bug since none of your content was deleted forever. In fact, I'm sure you're aware but, none of your content actually even needs to be on your ATV. You can watch any movie you want streamed, tonight. Then, B4 you go to bed, connect your ATV to iTunes via ethernet and by morning all your stuff is back.

This bug doesn't even compare to MS/T-Mobile and thus, will receive hardly any press
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Then why'd you ask?

Because Apple has never sent emails to three different email accounts of mine before.

Quote:

I thought you were a newb ....

There is some basic data that AI provides (Hint: Look under the poster's name, to the top-left of the post). You should give people a bit more benefit of doubt, than come through sounding like a bored, geeky smart-ass.

Quote:

I was also trying to down play the significance of this bug since none of your content was deleted forever.

Nor was, as it turns out, Microsoft/T-Mobile's. Yet, the hyperventilation was off-the-charts.

Quote:

Then, B4 you go to bed, connect your ATV to iTunes via ethernet and by morning all your stuff is back.

Many @TV consumers - esp. the less tech-savvy folks - would reasonably be panicked by something like this.

Quote:

This bug doesn't even compare to MS/T-Mobile and thus, will receive hardly any press

See my previous reply above. If it receives 'hardly any press,' I'd have to conclude that either @TV is a sideshow, or the media is biased towards Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I suppose because unlike MS's issue, its not like you actually lost any data.

Yeah, sure. How do you explain: http://gigaom.com/2009/10/15/microso...most-restored/

Please inform yourself a bit more before posting like a snark, esp. in a thread that is looking for help/explanations.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Yeah, sure. How do you explain: http://gigaom.com/2009/10/15/microso...most-restored/

Please inform yourself a bit more before posting like a snark, esp. in a thread that is looking for help/explanations.

Well aren't we a bit defensive?? For a good week or even two, people in the Danger issue were completely without their data, period. They were also informed that their data was NOT recoverable so they should make other plans. Most (not all) data was eventually recovered but during that period, people entered all their lost info by hand (if they even had a hard copy), put out the word (very difficult since they didn't have the contact info) to potentially dozens and dozens of their contacts stating that they no longer had their contact info, and businesses lost a bunch of money because their contacts had simply vanished.

This @TV bug was no doubt an inconvenience but I hardly doubt that it had the kind of impact to businesses and the lives of professionals that the Danger incident did.

If you're not a newb then you already know that Jobs has stated publicly that ATV is a "hobby".