Apple releases syncing fix for Apple TV 3.0

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
An update for Apple TV was released Saturday which fixes problems with content disappearing from the system until re-syncing.

Apple suggests that users who have updated to the 3.0 version should immediately update to version 3.0.1 in order to prevent content from temporarily disappearing until re-syncing.

The Apple TV should be restarted and updated through the "update software" option under the Settings > General menu. If this does not resolve the issue, it is recommended that the Apple TV be disconnected and reconnected to the computer that it is networked with.

A final option if the above actions do not fix the issue is to perform a factory restore, update to 3.0.1, then re-sync.

Apple TV was updated Thursday to version 3.0 which added an entirely redesigned main menu, support for iTunes extras and LP, streaming Internet radio, and Genius Mixes. This was the first major update for Apple TV since early in 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    I didn't have any issues at all on 3.0, so not too sure under what circumstances they'd appear.

I like the 3.0 interface, but my ATV is now really laggy, I think the hardware is struggling with the new OS. Perhaps this indicates a newer more powerful ATV in the near future?
  • Reply 2 of 68
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    iPhoto photos still don't show up for me. I guess I'm going to have to reset the link to the server.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I didn't have any issues at all on 3.0, so not too sure under what circumstances they'd appear.

I like the 3.0 interface, but my ATV is now really laggy, I think the hardware is struggling with the new OS. Perhaps this indicates a newer more powerful ATV in the near future?

Whatever newer hardware will come out it will be introduced with the subscription services spoken of in the AI forums. The subscriptions would compete with cable providers and take the Apple TV from a hobby to a full blown business.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    Hahah...it's totally unlike apple to cock up a major firmware release
  • Reply 5 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I?d try going to factory settings and then a reinstall. Mine was faster than before.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Whatever newer hardware will come out it will be introduced with the subscription services spoken of in the AI forums. The subscriptions would compete with cable providers and take the Apple TV from a hobby to a full blown business.

I can't wait for that but it probably will come to xbox 720 before it comes to Apple TV unfortunately.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

It doesn't seem to affect everyone and the fix was pretty quick, which is the most important thing.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Agreed 

we are missing one or 2 pieces of the  world domination puzzle

my stupid dream is as follows

I say a larger 9x6  ipod-touch with full mac os grazing rights wiil be the  tablet >> including a new app store for all larger devices i.e. MB 

A scaled down 9/1/2 in MB white as the net book

And of course a

NANO PHONE called NANEITE that runs off the ipod touch style SW with MVNO SW and  as the GATEKEEPER CARRiER w/free SKYPE calls will be included across the lime up cept for iphone.

APPLE will then introduce the new ATV and the ATV mini SERVER

A 1TB scalable with FIVE/SEVEN INTERFACE's < movie/tv/music /photos /internet/games/2 app-store's/3 sep itunes stores/apple store >>

THIS APPLE TV will then tie all the blind together as one . Window users can even buy the TV and sync all their mini  devices to it . LEAVING out the mac's of course until the windows users are ready to switch ,except they already switched over with out knowing it. finally steve can sink that knife in bills back

THE  server farms will power>store and safeguard apple against carrier induced bottle necks.

Ad-mist all this steve will do a<< one more thing >> and

Say . APPLE CO WILL KNOW sell HD TV SETS with a build in mini's of course

go apple

peace 9
  • Reply 9 of 68
    One day too late, AFTER I had to resync my 140 GBs of content...

And what exactly will Apple do about the people who don't sync their Apple TV to a computer, whose content suddenly vanished due to Apple's negligence?
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post

And what exactly will Apple do about the people who don't sync their Apple TV to a computer, whose content suddenly vanished due to Apple's negligence?

Excellent question. Or if one were traveling for an extended period with the main computer that is synced to it, and the family wanted to use it?

This is shoddy software upgrading on Apple's part.

You could tell they were panicked because I received an email in three different accounts of mine from Apple alerting me to update (which has never happened before). When I turned on @TV, sure enough, all the music had disappeared (fortunately, I had transferred only 10GB worth of music on to my @TV since it has 40GB capacity). Photos were unaffected.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Agreed 

we are missing one or 2 pieces of the  world domination puzzle

my stupid dream is as follows

Say no more....

peace out from the 'hood wannabe.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post

Same exact situation here. I actually went to watch something the other night after my iMac was asleep and there wasn't any data on the atv. Embarrassing that a glitch like that could actually get out. This is solid proof that their quality control is not very good. And it's not because it's a 'hobby', anything they sell to a consumer cannot be considered a hobby, especially if they keep updating it and making money renting stuff via that device.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    More lipstick on the pig.

Interent TVs are selling like mad, You get a choice of Amazon, Netflix, and Blockbuster rentals- directly- wirelessly. Not just Samsung rentals or Sony rentals but real rentals from all of the big 3.

Not just itunes. AppleTv is done. Please pull the fork out- NOW.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

You do know that most things on AppleInsider are not true. Nothing will compete with cable and satellite because subscription services will not offer local programming or sports.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Can they do the same with the iPhone now please? Since the last firmware update the iPhone has had the 'no content' bug too... (check the official Apple support forum for lots of people complaining about this)
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

More lipstick on the pig.

Interent TVs are selling like mad, You get a choice of Amazon, Netflix, and Blockbuster rentals- directly- wirelessly. Not just Samsung rentals or Sony rentals but real rentals from all of the big 3.

Not just itunes. AppleTv is done. Please pull the fork out- NOW.

What is an "Interent TV"? The streaming services suck. At least Amazon OnDemand through TiVo is downloaded for viewing. NetFlix streaming is lousy quality and it stops every 5-10 minutes to catch up, even on a 10Mb cable modem...because of many varieties of network traffic that can interrupt the stream. I also think the AppleTV is a useless box. Since people already have Cable or Satellite, why are they buying video content for the AppleTV when they are already paying for it through their provider?
  • Reply 17 of 68
    I think the content disappeared from the AppleTV because it was embarrassed to be on an AppleTV.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You do know that most things on AppleInsider are not true. Nothing will compete with cable and satellite because subscription services will not offer local programming or sports.

Satellite TV, which is obviously a non-locally broadcast offers local broadcasting and sports so there's no reason why the internet couldn't.

But I can't see it happening simply because the old school cable and satellite networks wouldn't let it. They will protect their business to the end. Look at the mess Sony are facing with the PSP Go for a good example of an old school business (bricks and mortar game retailers in this case) fighting to prevent a new model (downloads) from taking off.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

HaHaHa...it's totally unlike the average geek-wimp to whine about a major firmware release.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

HaHaHa...it's totally unlike the average geek-wimp to whine about a major firmware release.

Well...it really is if you arn't a geek-wimp. A geek-wimp who isnt a geek-wimp whining about a major fw release???