Comments

• Reply 41 of 144
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Same here. After the update...

NO SOUND!!! ZERO!!!

MUTE!!!

Why? Oh why? What's your four-oh-four Apple?

(MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3)

Get the combo and try that. It's the only thing I ever recommend after a .1 update.
  • Reply 42 of 144
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

People, there are some very basic rules when doing updates….
    1) Back up using TimeMachine or whatever backup program you use before doing any major update to your OS.

2) Verify your disk before installing update.

3) Install update. I prefer the Combo Update from the website over Software Updater, but it’s your choice.

4) If something in the OS that used to work no longer works then restart and see if that fixes it.

5) If not, then go grab the Combo Update from the website and try it again.
    That should resolve most issues people have with point updates.

Actually Cloning your whole boot drive to another drive before doing any sort of update is better as you can boot from the clone and simply reverse clone back to the earlier OS/boot drive state. Because Time Machine drives are not boot-able, which means resorting to the OS X install disk and any update disks before restoring (time consuming and problematic). Cloning is almost entirely automated, just set it and watch TV or something, come back in a hour or so and you got your drive back.

Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper are the two leading cloning software's. Make sure to "hold option boot" from the clone to check everything out (programs work and all) and repair permissions on both volumes after cloning. Filevaulted drives shouldn't be cloned.

Do a whole boot drive clone in addition to Time Machine or any other backup of files method (disk is best as it's permanent)

If you have a new drive, erase with Zero option first just to make sure to catch any bad sectors before using. Use Firewire 800 if you got it.

I'm so glad I'm waiting out the Snow Leopard beta testing out this time around.

Perhaps on a new machine...
  • Reply 43 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Is it a good time to jump into Snow Leopard with this update? Been holding off due to fonts/printing/Mail/MobileMe issues. Feedback from others with similar reservations appreciated.

I am using SL on a production Mac that I use daily for illustration, animation and design. I installed it about 3 weeks ago and it's been fine. I did update to the newest Adobe software at the same time so I can't speak to older versions of Adobe stuff. Epson printer drivers for my printer are still a no show, so you use the generic driver which gives you no access to cleaning ETC. That's the biggest issue. Scanner fine, laser printer fine.

-M
  • Reply 44 of 144
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Is it a good time to jump into Snow Leopard with this update? Been holding off due to fonts/printing/Mail/MobileMe issues. Feedback from others with similar reservations appreciated.

I heard that 10.7 is coming out in about 22 months, if you want to wait for the best time to do it.

But, seriously, this looks good.
  • Reply 45 of 144
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krolingo View Post

* Save as PDF? Crashes the printing application

* Does anyone else see that nice *feature* ?

Happens on Firefox in Leopard too.

bug report submitted.
  • Reply 46 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

Hmm should I get the straight update or the combo updater? (I'm on v10.6.1)

My instincts tell me the straight update but I vaguely remember seeing something about using the combo updater because it prevents permission issues?

I was going to download the Combo, but, with everyone downloading it, the ETA was over one hour. So I used Software Update in five minutes, with a ten minute reboot. It looks good.
  • Reply 47 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's interesting because a friend just bought a Macbook, and he has the same problem with 10.6.1, which came with the machine.

Look in sound prefs to see if internal speakers are available. If so, select it. On my friends Macbook, all that's available for output is digital output. When I plugged headphones in, it switched to that, and it worked. But when I unplugged them, all that was available again was digital output.

You do have the startup sound and some others.

This was a little weird. When I saw you said something about plugging headphones in, I tried that while looking in System Pref. > Sound. The selected "Internal Speakers" changed to "Headphones", but still no sound. Then I deselected headphones and selected it again, then the music started and worked after I unplugged the headphones again.

Looks like it was some kind of configuration that needed to be rewritten with the correct output device. But seems very odd to me anyway.

So, try that Cedric. Maybe it'll work for you..
  • Reply 48 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djpadz View Post

Looks like Mail.app has a new plugin API version, so Mail plugins (GrowlMail, etc.) are being disabled.

I've seen posts in which people said that GrowlMail and LetterBox no longer work after this update.
  • Reply 49 of 144
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krolingo View Post

* Save as PDF? Crashes the printing application

* Does anyone else see that nice *feature* ?

Works just fine on my end. I rely on this feature regularly.
  • Reply 50 of 144
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    FINALLY!! Now the screen doesn't freaking go to the brightest setting anymore after me putting it on the dimmest and turning it off/on!
  • Reply 51 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Same here. After the update...

NO SOUND!!! ZERO!!!

MUTE!!!

Volume is not gray for me it's just as it always is but there is no sound even if the volume is at its top.

Why? Oh why? What's your four-oh-four Apple?

(MacBook Pro 5,1 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3)

Solution: Go to System Preferences=>Sound=>Output and select "Internal speakers, Built-in Output". For some reasons the update switched it to "Soundflower (2ch)" which I really don't know what that is. However that's the reason why it was mute. Why did it switch? Who knows?!

Go to system preferences > sound > output and select: internal speaker (built_ in output)!

It worked for me!
  • Reply 52 of 144
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

FINALLY!! Now the screen doesn't freaking go to the brightest setting anymore after me putting it on the dimmest and turning it off/on!

Same here; re-tested, problem resolved. That was irritating.
  • Reply 53 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundfish View Post

Go to system preferences > sound > output and select: internal speaker (built_ in output)!

It worked for me!

Yeah I found that out after posting the message (and posted the solution in teh original post). Sorry everybody and thanks for trying to help. Strange however that the update switched the audio output... I'm glad my MBP makes some noise again. It's always making some noise and if it suddenly stops making noise it's really strange... It feel less alive \
  • Reply 54 of 144
    flash plugin problems anyone? crashes whenever there is flash on a web page?

and adobe indesign cs4 wont open? perhaps linked, Adobe = crap!!!!! un fortunatly it has to be used in the world of digital print as i hate quark more!
  • Reply 55 of 144
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pelleravn View Post

I just updated to 10.6.2 via Software Update, and now my sound-bar item is gray and there is no sound from OS X.

If I press the volume buttons nothing happens else than the dialog with the volume is gray and a "Forbidden symbol" in the bottom.

I have a 2008 Macbook Pro (4,1).

Anyone had any problems alike, and can help me troubleshoot?

I usually experience this when I log in to two accounts at the same time. Go to System Preferences - Sound - Output (make sure it says "Internal Speakers") - Input (Make sure it says "Internal Microphone").
  • Reply 56 of 144
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Still no fix for noisy USB audio under Virtual Machine software

Many more weeks of being stuck on 10.5.8...
  • Reply 57 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundfish View Post

It worked for me!

Did the upgrade and now can only get sound out of the internal speaker. I still only get internal speaker when I choose Line Out in prefs.
  • Reply 58 of 144
    This update seems to have fixed the stuttering Flash video on my new iMac. That's not in the documentation, however.
  • Reply 59 of 144
    i have the death of all flash plugins for safari!!!!!!

please help!!!!!!??????
  • Reply 60 of 144
    i download update and it erased at least 80 gig of data on my eye tv

very unhappy

all my movies are gone

everybody beware

got any suggestions anybody how to get them back

please help