Apple Insider's New iPhone optimized web site. Forums next?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This new look for iPhone users is wonderful and I especially love that you can make the text on a story as large as you like as sometimes, reading large type in non-landscape is a delite.

My question is, how long before the forums have the same look and feel as the rest of the site? Also, I know it's a stretch, but it would be great if you could create a few things for the new forums:

1-a data base that catches most commonly know grammar mistakes that iPhone users make. For example. I see, "but if it was nit fit her then...." that tells me he or she is probaby iphone. It would be great if AI offered suulggestions ehile LOL you typed. LOL

2-Ive never seen this done with any website but some of us go over the same old ground over and over. It would be nice to see AI store long sentences or even complete

paragraghs that we could use a wheel for. Even better would be something like reqalls voice to Text.

Otherwise, the site looks great!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    In fact I think it sucks! Frankly I don't see the point in an iPhone specific AI site at all! What is worst is that the current implementation is frankly gross and difficult to work with. It is so bad that I do wish that AI would default the site to the regular HTML version.

Mind you this is from an AI user that uses his iPhone as the primary access method. What is more disturbing is that so much time was wasted on this regression in usability that it kinda boggles the mind. The killer here is that that time could have went into making the primary site better and at the same time more iPhone friendly.

Let's face it AI isn't to bad on iPhone as it was. The improvements that could have been made would have benefitted access from both the mobile and the "desktop" browser. For example use buttons at the top of the screen for user access to the forums and other parts of the site. In the forums section a modest redesign to the forum layout would of served both users well. A more indepth reworking could be done too, still keeping the code the same with out getting into platform specifics.

In a nut shell there is very little on the AI web site that needs an iPhone specific web site. That is the whole point of Safari and it's adherence to web standards on iPhone. Feel free to convince me otherwise but right now the iPhone specific version of AI is bad enough to lead to barfing. As to the designers at AI please don't take that the wrong way, instead stand back and look at what you have created, it's usability and long term maintenance worthwile. Remember this is a comment from somebody that uses his iPhone for a good portion of his AI access.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 3
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    I have no objection to a good iPhone-specific look, but this isn't good. The way those buttons disappear and re-appear when scrolling does my head in.

I switch to normal view therefore.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

I have no objection to a good iPhone-specific look, but this isn't good. The way those buttons disappear and re-appear when scrolling does my head in.

I like it overall, readability is much improved, but the button weirdness does need to be fixed.

As for the forums, I would love an iphone version/view for that. Applenova has a nice format you could take a look at..