AT&T defends its data network from Verizon ad attacks

Comments

• Reply 61 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I linger here because I love my iPhone but never posted. After reading this article I had to finally register. I currently own two phones. My personal phone which is my iPhone and a work Blackberry which is on Verizon. Because of this I compare phones daily. I purchased my iPhone when I lived in Savannah GA and could not have been happier with it. Worked flawless, 3G everywhere not one dropped call in a year. I just moved to the DC area and the AT&T service here is garbage at best. My phone will show full bars, 3G and I will drop calls. I can not even use the phone in my home because it will ALWAYS drop the call and I live 12 miles south of DC and the AT&T coverage map says I have full 3G. My wife has her iPhone and it is so bad she doesnt even use it anymore. My son has a standard AT&T phone and he drops acalls as well, it is very bad. On the other hand my Verizon phone just works, works everywhere I take it. I travel all over the country and have found the farther I head west, the worse my iPhone gets. I have been in area's that I have nothing on my iPhone and full data on my Blackberry. When Verizon gets the iPhone I will be moving there very quickly. Just an observation from someone who uses both carriers on a daily basis.

Bingo... not this isn't a peer reviewed scientific test, but anyone living in a major city will say the same thing.
  • Reply 62 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Is Verizon's 3g service in metro Atlanta much better than ATT? I've been to Atlanta and used my iPhone and the service seemed really nice. I live in a rural area and typically have to make do with edge service which is pretty marginal IMO.

I have been to Houston and ATT service there was surprisingly poor. I dropped calls in my hotel room and I was in a Houston proper not some remote suburb.

Metro Atlanta has good coverage with both ATT and Verizon. Even Sprints coverage is good in ATL.
  • Reply 63 of 221
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I live in NYC and this is not my experience at all. I'm not saying that AT&T is perfect, you can certainly feel the strain on the network because of all the iPhones used in NYC but my experience is not as bad as described here.

I rarely have dropped calls. I have seen problems with the call connecting in the first place. If the call does connect it rarely drops for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Bingo... not this isn't a peer reviewed scientific test, but anyone living in a major city will say the same thing.

• Reply 64 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

LTE Handset in 2010 a Longshot Despite 4G iPhone Hope: Most chip vendors won?t have the silicon ready to support an LTE phone next year, and those that do just don?t see the business case.

LTE Handset in 2010 a Longshot Despite 4G iPhone Hope - Telephony

Just the "glass half empty" approach. Time will tell.
  • Reply 65 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

Well then AT&T's ads should claim that they have the "fastest 3.5G network".

Verizon uses 2.75G and 3G speeds (although technically they're closer to 3.25G speeds where available). AT&T uses 2.75G and 3.5G speeds.

AT&T should just state that they have the fastest cellphone network in the US. And I specify US because it obviously isn't the fastest in the world, sense major cities in Europe are starting to get HSPA+ (3.75G) access with up to 21 Mbps speeds instead of the 7.2 Mbps speeds some US cities are starting to get and I'm pretty sure that Asian countries are launching HSPA+ too. The term 3.5G is too complicated for the general market, so for marketing reasons AT&T just use the term 3G, but in reality it's 3.5G.

In a couple of years the US has the opportunity to catch up on speeds sense LTE is pretty new and both AT&T and Verizon want to join in. Let's see if they don't lag behind this time.
  • Reply 66 of 221
    This is the reality. To roll out 4G chips for next year, the chip makers would have to be making plans for that this year. None of them are currently making plans to widely market 4G chips for next year.

EDIT: I will add this. Someone is likely to attempt to release a 4G phone next year hoping to gain some market advantage. That phone will likely be expensive, bulky, crappy battery life, few working LTE networks to use it on, and largely ignored.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Just the "glass half empty" approach. Time will tell.

• Reply 67 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbarrick View Post

There are some good points in the article but some of the data that it uses as premises are wrong.

EVDO Rev. A Max is 3.1 Mbps not 1.4 Mbps

See excerpt from Wikipedia

The EV-DO feature of CDMA2000 networks provides access to mobile devices with forward link air interface speeds of up to 2.4 Mbit/s with Rev. 0 and up to 3.1 Mbit/s with Rev. A. The reverse link rate for Rev. 0 can operate up to 153 kbit/s, while Rev. A can operate at up to 1.8 Mbit/s. It was designed to be operated end-to-end as an IP based network, and so it can support any application which can operate on such a network and bit rate constraints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution-Data_Optimized

The article cited Verizons own advertized speeds for its network and provided a link. The theoretical maximum for EVDO in Wikipedia is irrelevant. It also says the theoretical max for UMTS is 14 Mbit, but that's not what AT&T advertises or delivers either.

Wikipedia is a source for citations, not an authority. Verizon is am authority for the spores it provides on its own network.
  • Reply 68 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surebet07 View Post

Verizon is in trouble. They have no plan to expand their current 3G network...and 4G is many years away. Their 3G is capped at 1.4MB.....while AT&T is already at 3MB and going to 7MB then 14MB.

I predict we will see the DROID Users start complaining about their service real soon.

AT&T needs to create some nifty commercials to relay this to the public.

Dude do your homework. VZW is planning to open 30 markets with LTE in 2010. I've heard that Apple has been testing the iPhone 4G on it. If anyone's in trouble it's AT&T. So while you'll be on your 3G+, VZW will be transitioning to 4G.
  • Reply 69 of 221
    Red VS. Blue, Pepsi Vs, Coke, Bud Vs Miller, Mac Vs. PC Blah blah blah it's all the same. You guys should really take a step back. All of these companies are happy to take your cash; That's it. None are interested in providing you with better services or products only in the perception of a better service or product.

AT&T's network is mediocre, I've used them since Cingular was offering service for the very first phone accessory for the OG palm Pilot; service was always spotty but good enough. (Talk about ahead of it's time wish I could remember the name of the device though) VZ's service is ok as well but I'll tell you their customer service and billing practices are deplorable and even their service is spotty at times and we have no idea what is going to happen to their network once thousands of Iphones become a part of it.

Point is quit freaking out. AI needs to stop publishing divisive BS and everyone needs to stop watching ads and start talking to their peers. AKA the people that actually have experience with the product. In the end we all pay too much for the service compared to the rest of the world and that is what we should be complaining about.
  • Reply 70 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

AT&T phones work outside the country. Verizon's phones don't. Enough said.

I just traveled through Europe with my iPhone, and had blazing fast Internet speeds everywhere I went, along with perfect call quality.

There are currently 6 VZW phones that have both a CDMA and a Quad Band GSM radio and can be used worldwide. So do a lil research before talking ish.
  • Reply 71 of 221
    The difference being that in Europe and Asia (Japan/Korea), none of the mobile carriers have to cover a land mass a vast as the US. They only have to cover areas as large as medium sized states.

US carriers should cooperate and they could build out new networks much faster.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

In a couple of years the US has the opportunity to catch up on speeds sense LTE is pretty new and both AT&T and Verizon want to join in. Let's see if they don't lag behind this time.

• Reply 72 of 221
    Verizon better hope that Apple's marketing team does not come after them like they have done with M$. Apple could make them look really bad...

Imagine the ads

Hi "I am a cell phone on Verizon" and "Hi I am the iphone" and the skit goes on from there
  • Reply 73 of 221
    30 markets is a relatively small number. There is no guarantee that VZ will have all 30 up buy next year. That's not really worth it for any major phone manufacturer.

In 2007 the reason Apple did not include a 3G chip in the original iPhone was because 3G chips were too energy inefficient and AT&T only had it in a few markets. Apple waited until they could get a more efficient chip and AT&T had rolled 3G out to more markets. Next year LTE will be in the same situation.

VZ transition to 4G will take a couple of years. By next year AT&T will be rolling out 14Mbps HSPA, AT&T does not need to rush to 4G.

Speaking of homework can you link to any source of credibility that Apple is testing 4G iPhone's?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Dude do your homework. VZW is planning to open 30 markets with LTE in 2010. I've heard that Apple has been testing the iPhone 4G on it. If anyone's in trouble it's AT&T. So while you'll be on your 3G+, VZW will be transitioning to 4G.

• Reply 74 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

Verizon uses 2.75G and 3G speeds (although technically they're closer to 3.25G speeds where available). AT&T uses 2.75G and 3.5G speeds.

The term 3.5G is too complicated for the general market, so for marketing reasons AT&T just use the term 3G, but in reality it's 3.5G.

So when AT&T rounds and calls it "3G", they are simplifying things so the consumer can understand.

When Verizon rounds and calls it "3G", they are being deceptive and misleading.

This article makes perfect sense now...
  • Reply 75 of 221
    Quote:

There are currently 6 VZW phones that have both a CDMA and a Quad Band GSM radio and can be used worldwide. So do a lil research before talking ish.

Don't forget to add that since it is CDMA & GSM, they work in more countries than any AT&T phone. CDMA is also used in many Asian countries. I'm a Blackberry Tour user that is happy to have "More 3G in More Places."
  • Reply 76 of 221
    Quote:

So when AT&T rounds and calls it "3G", they are simplifying things so the consumer can understand.

Exactly, AT&T touts their 3G network all the time. VZW is just showing everyone just how much 3G coverage AT&T has. That's gonna be VZWs defense in the lawsuit.
  • Reply 77 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

30 markets is a relatively small number. There is no guarantee that VZ will have all 30 up buy next year. That's not really worth it for any major phone manufacturer.

In 2007 the reason Apple did not include a 3G chip in the original iPhone was because 3G chips were too energy inefficient and AT&T only had it in a few markets. Apple waited until they could get a more efficient chip and AT&T had rolled 3G out to more markets. Next year LTE will be in the same situation.

VZ transition to 4G will take a couple of years. By next year AT&T will be rolling out 14Mbps HSPA, AT&T does not need to rush to 4G.

Speaking of homework can you link to any source of credibility that Apple is testing 4G iPhone's?

30 markets is just every major city in this country where a large portion of the population of the people live.

Here's the link.

http://fonefrenzy.com/2009/10/18/big...torolas-droid/
  • Reply 78 of 221
    Quote:

AT&T is under-advertising. Verizon is over-advertising. That's the difference.
  • Reply 79 of 221
    30 markets is smaller than the coverage map VZ is using to pick fun at AT&T. At best VZ can push mobile broadband cards for notebooks, but its not really good enough for mobile phones.

I would not trust some obscure blog reporting "its sources" informed it of Apple and VZ testing 4G phones. If there were a 4G chip that would work in the iPhone we would have heard about it.

Quote:

30 markets is just every major city in this country where a large portion of the population of the people live.

Here's the link.

http://fonefrenzy.com/2009/10/18/big...torolas-droid/

• Reply 80 of 221
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I don't think anyone has said AT&T rocks. That would be hard to say about any cell company. Other than SF and New York troublespots, I think the average user doesn't notice any issues. Their not great, but their not as crappy as being painted either, unless you happen to live near those dead zones anyway

i work in midtown manhattan and NYC is just fine almost all the time. even a few blocks from times square i can stream pandora all day with minimal problems. the worst problem i have is at street level when going inside a building