App Store roundup: HD Radio comes to iPhone, 3G VoIP still MIA

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

It's primarily for free/cheap international calls. Skype to Skype calls are free, Skype to landline calls are 2 cents per minute. AT&T charges $1.30+ per minute for international calls.

That is completely wrong. Skype over 3G would use your unlimited data plan -- minutes do not get used.

Speaking of Skype, have they said anything about this? Has Nimbuzz complained to Apple? Sounds like it could be a clueless App Store "rejector" employee whou didn't hear that the policy has changed.

Ah. You're charged per minute for voice; unlimited for data.

Got it.

Thanks.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I want a real iChat from Apple (including iPhone screen sharing!) and VOIP in games (mainly with friends). Throw in 3G support for Skype and I?ll be even happier.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

HD Radio?

Now there's even less reason to own a Zune.

(was there a reason in the first place?)

Yeah, because paying $80 extra and having to carry around extra hardware is so much better than having it built in for the same cost as the base model.

Besides as the uber-fanboy, shouldn't you be encouraging people to wait around until 2040 when Apple finally decides to add HD Radio and wireless syncing to the iPhone and saying how much better Apple's version will be?

p.s., are you another one of Dilger's aliases on this site? Or possibly a clone?
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Yeah, because paying $80 extra and having to carry around extra hardware is so much better than having it built in for the same cost as the base model.

Besides as the uber-fanboy, shouldn't you be encouraging people to wait around until 2040 when Apple finally decides to add HD Radio and wireless syncing to the iPhone and saying how much better Apple's version will be?

p.s., are you another one of Dilger's aliases on this site? Or possibly a clone?

$80 vs buying a whole new Zune that has IE for a browser and no apps, at the moment.

I don't listen to radio but for those who do and already got an iPhone/iPod touch the extra $80 is a better deal than buying a Zune HD..

Think of it as MS-DOS to Windows vs. migrating to Macintosh. I'm already invested in iPhone OS apps, and came to depend on quite a bunch of them, and I assume a lot are like me.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

No, I just trash lousy MS products that are lame knockoffs of what Apple already chewed up and spit out two years ago. If you don't like reading that, there's Winsupersite. And Neowin's always looking for more Windows sufferers. Misery loves company.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

HD radio as an accessory add-on for the iPhone is great.

BUT what about a frigging WIRED EXTERNAL KEYBOARD?!!

I had many cool folding keyboards (wired and Bluetooth) to choose from for my old PalmTreo and Blackberry which meant that I could do serious writing without lugging around a laptoop.

Is anybody listening?

Wired not, but Bluetooth, totally. Why there hasn't been faster development of physical accessories for the iPhone is staggering.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Because HD radio is a significant and popular feature that was worth including in the iPhone in the first place? Nope. It also wasn't just a last minute addition to the Zune during the desperate attempt to make it sellable?

Nooope.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    I can't believe that Apple was so stupid in opening the door to Bob Struble/iBiquity. Evidentually, Struble is very persuasive and iBiquity is real goog at pressuring. Apple will never get rid of these maggots. HD Radio is a joke, and simply doesn't work, and the FM power increase will just trash our airwaves further. Apple would be REAL stupid to have HD Radio built into its hardware - the HD chipset will eat Apple's products alive. No need for HD Radio, as ANALOG FM has the same tagging capabilities. Apple was atleast smart enough to test with waters with 50 cent analog FM tuners. I can't ever imagine Apple paying iNiquity licensing and chipset fees for iNiquity's POS product:

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com

No one will buy these $80 HD Radio adaptors from Radio Shack - they will sit there collecting dust like the rest of the HD radios, if there are any still carried by Radio Shack. With streaming Internet Radio stations, who needs crappy terrestrial radio.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Because HD radio is a significant and popular feature that was worth including in the iPhone in the first place? Nope. It also wasn't just a last minute addition to the Zune during the desperate attempt to make it sellable?

Nooope.

"New Zune To Include HD Radio"

"Bob Struble, President/CEO of iBiquity Digital Corporation, commented, We are very excited about the launch of HD Radio technology on Microsoft’s Zune HD. We are planning with the HD Radio Alliance to promote Zune HD to consumers."

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=1342290

MS just did it for the free publicity for their dead Zune line, and iBiquity gets to lower its chipset price, as more are produced. iBiquity probably doesn't care if consumers never use their POS products - can one imagine the huge backlog of unsold HD Radio products?