App for converting movies?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a pretty big movie collection that I have not imported into iTunes yet. I am looking to take all of the movies on my hard drive, and all my DVDs and converting them to MP4 (I'm done playing with VLC, Quick Time, Divx, and all that other crap). Does anyone know any software that will take my movie files that I have on my hard drive, and the DVDs I own, and convert them to MP4? I'm looking to keep the quality as best as possible with the smallest file size, so I can stream them to my TV and put some on my 64GB iPod Touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I have a pretty big movie collection that I have not imported into iTunes yet. I am looking to take all of the movies on my hard drive, and all my DVDs and converting them to MP4 (I'm done playing with VLC, Quick Time, Divx, and all that other crap). Does anyone know any software that will take my movie files that I have on my hard drive, and the DVDs I own, and convert them to MP4? I'm looking to keep the quality as best as possible with the smallest file size, so I can stream them to my TV and put some on my 64GB iPod Touch.

Consider Handbrake.

Also, doesn't Quicktime X handle this?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

...Also, doesn't Quicktime X handle this?

Yes, but without as much control, and at half the speed of Handbrake.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I tried handbrake, but for some reason it keeps crashing on me.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Handbrake is what you want. Use to work great for me but ever since they're last update it now takes hours and hours and hours to encode a movie so I gave up on it
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    You can rip them using MacTheRipper or similar and then encode them using isquint or visualhub if you can get hold of them. They have been discontinued officially but they still work and are pretty fast. They are being made into this program:

http://www.transcoder-redux.com

but it's still developing. If you use the itunes format with H264 checked and 1Mbps bitrate, you can get the MP4 file sizes pretty small and the quality is good - remember to check the deinterlace checkbox in the advanced section. Plus, because it's a batch encoder, you can leave it running overnight. You can use 720 x 480 with bars or 720 x 405. 640 x 360 or 640 x 480 with bars is fine if you plan to use it for ipod viewing - you won't have to encode twice.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can rip them using MacTheRipper or similar and then encode them using isquint or visualhub if you can get hold of them. They have been discontinued officially but they still work and are pretty fast. They are being made into this program:

http://www.transcoder-redux.com

but it's still developing. If you use the itunes format with H264 checked and 1Mbps bitrate, you can get the MP4 file sizes pretty small and the quality is good - remember to check the deinterlace checkbox in the advanced section. Plus, because it's a batch encoder, you can leave it running overnight. You can use 720 x 480 with bars or 720 x 405. 640 x 360 or 640 x 480 with bars is fine if you plan to use it for ipod viewing - you won't have to encode twice.

Wow, thanks for the info! I'll try to find one of those today. Thanks again!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    If Handbrake doesn't work for you, you may also do online conversions via youconvertit.com.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

If Handbrake doesn't work for you, you may also do online conversions via youconvertit.com.

I found a version of iSquint. This app would be perfect if you could have different settings for each file in queue. It's a shame they stopped developing this app.