Attachments in Mail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When I send photo attachments using Mail the receiving individual does not get the JPEG attachment - it is only embedded into the email and cannot be saved as a JPEG. I have "windows-friendly attachments" set. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    You can try setting the message format to Plain Text (Preferences/Message Format) and see if that helps, or try selecting Edit/Attachments/Always Insert Attachments at End of Message. But generally this is a receiver issue since Mail can't send attachments as anything but attachments and where they are displayed is a function of the receiver's mail client settings.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Same email was sent to three different people using different carriers. Even when just one photo with a medium setting did not make it as a JPEG attachment. I've tried attaching and also dropping in the picture but they get the same result.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    As you would, since this is just two different ways of doing the same thing. Not sure what you mean by "different carriers" because the real variable is the recipient's e-mail client. Did you try Plain Text mails? Are you using Mail's stationary feature?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I am not using stationary features. The recipients are all using various carriers ie comcast, yahoo, google, roadrunner... I will have to try plain text email - how do i set this up?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewkowr View Post

I am not using stationary features. The recipients are all using various carriers ie comcast, yahoo, google, roadrunner... I will have to try plain text email - how do i set this up?

As you have been told several times now, the operable variable is the recipient's email client. The mail provider and your features such as stationary have little to no bearing.

To select plain text, select Make Plain Text under Mail's Format menu.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

As you have been told several times now, the operable variable is the recipient's email client. The mail provider and your features such as stationary have little to no bearing.

To select plain text, select Make Plain Text under Mail's Format menu.

Actually, the best way to do this is set it in Mail Preferences.

Stationary could be a culprit, since this formats the mail as html I believe. Unless I'm wrong, having never used this feature myself (I'm strictly a plain text guy). I would certainly try plain text, but since the other (non-stationary) alternative in Mail is RTF, this should not make a difference.

FWIW, I have heard this complaint several times before and it generally turns out to be the function of the recipient's e-mail client, which more often than not, is Outlook.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewkowr View Post

What program are your recipient's using to read their email?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    This is a feature of Mail.

Simply have your friends right click each picture and "save as"