Apple One to One feedback

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am going to buy the new 21.5 inch iMac. My only decision left is, From whom do I buy? I was asking myself if I should take this opportunity to buy the Apple One to One membership for a year.

I am not a sophisticated user and have thought, at times, it would be nice to be get some one on one help from an expert. I am sure this would help me take advantage of some of the capabilities that I have feared to explore. I am a teacher and would also like to make more attractive and creative page layouts for my notes and handouts.

But...That means I have to pay the 10% California sales tax. I know I'm not talking about a lot of money here but it doesn't hurt to get some feedback to help me decide. I used migration assistant about 4 years ago so transferring my data from my old iMac is not the main reason for considering the One to One. By the way, I just read in this forum that it can be difficult to find a time to make an appointment with a genius.

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    You're the only one who can make this decision. If you feel you need the extra training then buy it. Don't forget to use your Teacher discount!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    When you start up a new Mac for the first time it will ask you whether you have an 'old' Mac, and if yes, would you like to transfer its contents to your new Mac? Connect the 2 Macs with an appropriate cable, click 'yes', and go out to lunch. When you get back disconnect, restart, and all will be ready and waiting for you.

No need for a Genius. That's for switchers.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I've been using Apple's since the IIe back in the day and the first real computer I bought was a MacPlus... so I've been using Macs for years. Last month I signed up for One to One for help with pro apps (Final Cut Studio, DVD Studio Pro and the like) as there is nobody in my area that uses them and I need to get up to speed quickly for a major project. Despite transportation costs of $150 round trip (and six hours on trains) to my nearest Apple store, the 100 bucks for the program is well worth it even if I only have several sessions. Being able to ask questions and get answers is awesome. If you might need the help, I think it is worth every penny, especially if you live near an Apple Store. The cost is nothing compared to what you can learn.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I've been using Apple's since the IIe back in the day and the first real computer I bought was a MacPlus... so I've been using Macs for years. Last month I signed up for One to One for help with pro apps (Final Cut Studio, DVD Studio Pro and the like) as there is nobody in my area that uses them and I need to get up to speed quickly for a major project. Despite transportation costs of $150 round trip (and six hours on trains) to my nearest Apple store, the 100 bucks for the program is well worth it even if I only have several sessions. Being able to ask questions and get answers is awesome. If you might need the help, I think it is worth every penny, especially if you live near an Apple Store. The cost is nothing compared to what you can learn.

It may be useful in assisting you to operate specialized pro apps ("Final Cut Studio, DVD Studio Pro and the like"). But you don't need One-to-One to transfer the data from your old Mac to your new one! So keep your money in your pocket!

(And a Mac Plus was my first Mac too, with a 20MB external HD!, after having been a systems analist and programmer of Burroughs mini business computers since '75).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thank you for the feedback. I am going to get the One to One. Not for the data transfer; Apple has made that process pretty simple. But I'd like to push myself to try some new things. It would be hard to go wrong for only $99.

By the way, I too have been a long time Mac user. I think it was 1989 and a Mac classic. I did some pretty good stuff back in the day. Since, I have kinda fallen into a rut of just doing the basics. Time to get reinvigorate myself with a new computer and One to One!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Cool! I loved my MacPlus and only got rid of it a couple of years ago.

As a former teacher myself, I can understand the desire to make better handouts. I also got into audio CDs and classroom DVDs for teachers. There are plenty of things you can do. One to One will help you. Look into the Projects option as well; you can sit there for three hours asking questions to your heart's content even the same day you have a private 1-1.