Apple lifts veil on App Store approval status

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    I was just advised by Apple that getting people supporters to send more emails to the app review team would work against my interests. So I'm deleting my request to you all for support. People who have written, I thanks for your support.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treschny View Post

I'm a developer who's been waiting 13 weeks for approval of my app which slows down music without changing pitch to make it easier to learn and play along with your favorite songs.

Quote:

There are allegedly nine status levels for submitted applications, including "in review," "ready for sale," and "rejected".

What is your current status level?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndreH View Post

Can somebody look up Google Voice and see what the status is? :-)

Are you kidding?

Only the registered developer can.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I wonder how many apps have been rejected so far? And why?

Now that's a list I'd like to see.

Why?

Don't bother to answer.

But to wet your soured appetite: http://boredzo.org/killed-iphone-apps/
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

While Apple is making you developers shedloads of $$$, you would be well advised NOT to kill the goose that lays your golden egg.

It is quite opposite. Developers make those shedloads of $$$ for Apple yet they let developers to pay all the expenses for making new title with absolutely no guarantee it will be included into the store.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I supose you need a timeline:

8:20am [Sent to QA to beat on: Pass/Fail]

11:30am [Passed to Sales for idiot proofing: Pass/Fail]

4:30 pm [Sent to random employee to test in the Bathroom: Pass/Fail]

I don't want a timeline, I just want the itunesconnect App Review team to tell me what's going on...not answering e-mails is just plain unprofessional. I wouldn't care so much if the app was "In Review" for two months if the itunesconnect team would at least tell me why it's taking so long...even if it's an answer as lame as "oh, we didn't have time to review it yet."
  • Reply 27 of 48
    I feel your pain, treschny. I've only been waiting 7 weeks but it feels like eternity. Meanwhile a competing application has seen two updates in the time I've been waiting.

13 weeks of total silence from the itunesconnect team is disgusting. I don't understand why Apple has to treat their developers so badly.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    I am the author of an iPhone application called "Mac OS X Reference" that gives helpful information on Mac OS X. I mainly made the app for myself but then decided to put it up on the app store. When I did, I thought it wouldn't get through because of the name of the app and the information it contained.

To my surprise, it DID get through. So, thanks to user's suggestions, I improved the app and resubmitted it for approval. NOW Apple is not letting any updates through due to "copyright issues."

All I did was ADD INFORMATION to the app. I even had an Apple logo in the app WHICH I REMOVED when I resubmitted the update.

I now have customers asking for updates to this app, but I am unable to give them what they want due to Apple's stupid approval process FOR AN ALREADY APPROVED APP!!!

Thanks for listening,

Dan Uff
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has added a feature to its Dev Center website allowing developers to view the approval status of submitted apps.

In a move that is sure to please many, developers tell AppleInsider that Apple's Development Center website has added the ability for developers to track the status of apps currently under review. In the past, Apple had notoriously kept developers in the dark about Apple's review and approval process.

There are allegedly nine status levels for submitted applications, including "in review," "ready for sale," and "rejected".

Well with the exception of the history, the apps status has been there since the App Store was released in almost an identical form.

I don't see what clarity is really being brought to the table here?
  • Reply 30 of 48
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I'm usually an early adopter--especially of most things Apple.

In this case, though, it's just as well that I still have to go down the long runway of learning, C, Obj-C, and Cocoa, etc. before I'll be ready to throw my app submissions on the pile.

Good to see the process is getting better organized.

Indeed, having to learn those over-complicated languages is a far bigger barrier than the approval process.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    This may seem like an obvious question, and I'm obviously not a developer. But if you don't like Apple's App Store approval process, who is forcing you to develop for Apple? (This is a serious question, not a snarky comment.)
  • Reply 32 of 48
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

About time they come out with this..

Yeah.... and just think it 4 or 5 more years they might even get around to informing said developer why the App was rejected and in another 3 or 4 years provide a link with basic information that would better help the developer resolve the issue.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Funny thing is, I have NEVER heard any iPhone user complain about this process. Or the lack of apps. Or how their phone can't do this or the other.

In fact you can hear the Microsofties with their doubletalk saying there are already too many apps for the iPhone and how confusing it is... How's about that for irony!

While Apple is making you developers shedloads of $$$, you would be well advised NOT to kill the goose that lays your golden egg.

Facebook, Google Voice, Google Latitude, and Skype all failed on iPhone.

I am a user and I hereby complain.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

This may seem like an obvious question, and I'm obviously not a developer. But if you don't like Apple's App Store approval process, who is forcing you to develop for Apple? (This is a serious question, not a snarky comment.)

First, simply stating a question isn't snarky doesn't make it so...

If you don't like life in North Korea then who's forcing you to LIVE? What a lovely world to live in.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

Facebook, Google Voice, Google Latitude, and Skype all failed on iPhone.

I am a user and I hereby complain.

To summon a quote that will SURLY be made by the Fan-boys... "Nobody FORCED you to buy an iPhone!"... and for the record I'm on you're side... I truly despise the dictator like grip Apple has over what can and can't be developed on the iPod Touch and iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Indeed, having to learn those over-complicated languages is a far bigger barrier than the approval process.

Seriously, while the process isn't perfect I do applaud what Apple is trying to do here.

Look at the morass that is Windows - part of it is bad code can be perpetuated at will. There is no accountability. On Mac OSX, you generally have a smaller and more fanatical user base that simply doesn't tolerate bad programs - they just don't do well, but that will be less effective as Apple's userbase grows. Eventually enough people will be on the platform to be tricked into enough sales to sustain bad programs on Mac OSX too, and we will be in the same situation as Windows users. I think Apple took a long hard look at the way traditional computing was done and deciding that while they were creating a new platform, they would take a stab at rampant bad code. And hence the review process was born. I have several friends who are programmers and who are developing apps on the iPhone and the thing that impressed me in talking with them, and what almost never gets discussed in articles like this, is just how much assistance Apple can provide - one of my friends had a two day exchange with an Apple engineer about correcting and improving his app. How often do you hear about that from other commercial software providers? Yes, it doesn't happen with everyone, but in listening to Apple sessions at WWDC and events, you can tell that is where they would love to be able to ramp up and perform. They are serious about encouraging not just applications, but well coded applications and they fully intend to keep this new platform as clean as possible from the start. That's a huge paradigm shift, one that I think is very admirable and often loss in the chorus of complaining.

And yes, with open source theoretically the "community" can do the same role - but the experience is wildly inconsistent in it's own way - you are just as likely to either be ignored, receive a meaningful response or be derided for being a dumb ass in asking your question in the first place

I guess my point is, there is no perfect solution. I can understand from the programmers stand point, having someone between you and your customers is highly distasteful. However, as a consumer of applications, I really like the idea of someone standing between me and the programmers to help force good and safe code. Right now the process is a little raw, Apple is obviously overwhelmed, but I think the overall process is worth salvaging and working through.

I want a device that performs reliably, and if that inconveniences a few developers or delays a few updates I'm cool with that. The cowboy free-for-all of "traditional" computing isn't a panacea either. I will take a few minor restrictions (that really don't affect me as an end user when you get down to it) in exchange for a much more enjoyable experience overall.

It boils down to the core of Apples success - it's about the user. If the programmers are inconvenienced, oh well. As a programmer you can go program for Android, but as long as there is a large userbase on another successful platform your move will probably not be noticed, and you will probably be limiting your exposure and income potential. I find it amusing that analysts think Android will "win" because of the aggregate count of hardware - yup, that worked so well for Windows Mobile. What, wait.....

I am also amused by programmers who think they are in the drivers seat. If you code for a platform that is a minority share, who's really winning here? I struggle with this at work with my fellow IT peers. I have to constantly remind them that IT works for the business units, not the other way around. We don't "do" IT for the sake of IT, we do it to advance the mission of the organization. Same thing for programmers, if you intend to make money you aren't programming for you - you are programming for your customers - so you better be where your potential customers are.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

To summon a quote that will SURLY be made by the Fan-boys... "Nobody FORCED you to buy an iPhone!"... and for the record I'm on you're side... I truly despise the dictator like grip Apple has over what can and can't be developed on the iPod Touch and iPhone.

Yes, because the platform will never evolve - it is what is is forever and ever. Amen.

AT&T has relaxed restrictions on VOIP, Apple has updated terms of service, now Skype is free to update their app. I'm not sure about the facebook comment, the facebook app works fine for me, and for the few things it doesn't do I can always wip out Mobile Safari. Something I never could do successfully with my Windows Mobile phone.

There has been so much back and forth about google voice it's hard to figure out what is real vs. what his hype. I think you are seeing more of a general clash of traditional phone vs. new services, and there are real and complex issues. That kind of fallout happens any time you disrupt old technology with new technology - the extra twist here are the complaints of the traditional telco's relating to regulations from the "old way" business was done. They may have a valid point but how would you ever know - everyone is so gaga over Google Voice that an honest discussion over their claims hasn't happened - that I have seen anyway. Instead you get insults and cat-calls about evil monopolies dragging everyone down. Well, the telco's were granted monopoly status in exchange for doing things like servicing unprofitable rural areas (which Google conveniently bypasses when they feel like they don't want to pay). That doesn't sound very fair, but who cares - we want Google Voice! Shesh....
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Hey thanks for the vote of confidence and the sarcasm. Talk about bad manners. Yours stink.

I'm not blaming Apple for anything.

There's nothing wrong with starting at square zero when you have to.

Yep, there is a lot of that here....good reply though! And best of luck!
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I guess my point is, there is no perfect solution. I can understand from the programmers stand point, having someone between you and your customers is highly distasteful. However, as a consumer of applications, I really like the idea of someone standing between me and the programmers to help force good and safe code. Right now the process is a little raw, Apple is obviously overwhelmed, but I think the overall process is worth salvaging and working through.

I want a device that performs reliably, and if that inconveniences a few developers or delays a few updates I'm cool with that. The cowboy free-for-all of "traditional" computing isn't a panacea either. I will take a few minor restrictions (that really don't affect me as an end user when you get down to it) in exchange for a much more enjoyable experience overall.

I completely agree with all you say here. Yes the process can (and should) be improved, just like the app store itself, but boy am I happy the store does a basic review before they start selling it, so us customers can trust on a basic level of safety and decent coding with all we buy.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

Apple is going to have much bigger problems than unhappy developers if they continue down the road they are currently on. Rejecting MAD Magazine's Bobble Rep because of "offensive" political caricatures is heavy-handed and totally unjustified censorship, plain and simple.

Yes completely agree with that. This rejection is absurd. Why Apple won't just involve some kind of ESRB ratings and some kind of age compliance system so that all apps can be aproved may come back to bite them.