Microsoft denies Apple had influence on Windows 7 design

Comments

• Reply 81 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JPDLVMH View Post

Microsoft can deny all they want - for years they have been copying and imitating the Mac OS. To help you believe which statement is right, just look at both OS's and the proof is there that Windooz is imitating MAC.

you lie. of course they haven't. Windows is totally different than Mac OS. those copying claims are totally bogus. David Pogue set the record straight years ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neondiet View Post

Why would I want a laptop or desktop with a touch screen anyway? I hate that. Anyone attempting to touch my screen gets slapped for leaving smudgy fingerprint marks behind.

Forget cleaning. A touchscreen on a computer display is impractical from an ergonomic viewpoint -- outside of a few select things like a POS or that "listen before you buy" system you see at Best Buy, Barnes and Noble etc. All those HP's etc that have such a screen have a bragging point but in the end it's like that Laptop Hunter Ad with the mom and the kid where they "oh look it has blu-ray" like that is huge even though they never mentioned it as an issue before. making it an 'added bonus' that they might not really use
  • Reply 82 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JPDLVMH View Post

Microsoft can deny all they want - for years they have been copying and imitating the Mac OS. To help you believe which statement is right, just look at both OS's and the proof is there that Windooz is imitating MAC.

well apple has copied windows plenty too, especially back before OS X when windows was actually ahead of apple's OS 9 - and apple copied zerox to start off with.

they are all copying eachother, so no point in pointing fingers imho.
  • Reply 83 of 172
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh god- who cares? It's all perception anyway. People in the US think Henry Ford invented the automobile.

I don't know one person that says that. Do you go out of your way to argue with people? All I see is your pitiful comebacks throughout the thread. Go away. It ruins the thread.

LOL @ saying os x lite isn't a true touch OS because it doesn't run two apps on the screen? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. It's UNIX based and was built for that. The whole OS does not run one file, it constantly has multiple tasks going on. Apple just doesn't allow consumer apps to run in the background because... a) most consumer devs are idiots and would produce memory leaks b) couldn't sandbox the app as much from taking down a mobile platform c) TO PRESERVE BATTERY LIFE.

You remember a little device called the newton? Apple had touch much much before m$.

But if you're referring to a desktop OS having touch, are you serious? That is the dumbest idea in the world. My hand over my 24" screen takes up about ~15% of the screen real-estate. No to mention it's the worst posture in the world if you're sitting down. And it is much more difficult to wipe off greasy fingerprints on a screen because of the size no matter what the material.

And LOL at saying Amazon existed as a company with great service, therefore apple didn't create anything new. Amazon is a web only company. They don't do any brick and mortar besides in Seattle. I'm not even sure they offer that any more. Apple created an experience and offering like no other. It was the first of it's kind as an electronics store to offer workshops, free tech support, free product demos, free internet usage in any sort of significance.

<This is where you insert you few lines of John Dvorak type remarks> KGO.
  • Reply 84 of 172
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Quote:

Oh I just thought Apple always invents everything and has them available first. \

I forgot:

1.) Microsoft has a Touch screen PC already available but Apple invented it.

2.) Microsoft had the first available Task Bar (since the 90's) but Apple invented it before they released their Dock in OSX.

1.) Saying there is a difference between mobile and a screen is nonsense. It's all the same technology.

2.) Once again, you find yourself making unfounded statements. NextStep had a dock back in 88. Which OS X migrated after NextStep was purchased by apple.
  • Reply 85 of 172
    Quote:

Microsoft had the first available Task Bar (since the 90's) but Apple invented it before they released their Dock in OSX.

We covered this ages ago: The Apple dock is the evolution of the NeXT dock which dates back to 1988, and both are/were more than a task bar. Besides, Microsoft already admitted that they stole their 7 dock from Apple.
  • Reply 86 of 172
    There is rarely anything that is an original design. Everything is somehow influenced by one thing or another. Apple is influenced by Microsoft and Microsoft is influence by Apple.

Enough of this debate already. This is a great example of good competition. Both are better because of each other.
  • Reply 87 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

You know with This talk of copy cop copy.

Want to

see where a lot of leopard features came from?

From Mac OS X is where.

As for your video. That was a demo from 2003. of a project that actually never took off. for all you know, Apple licensed any actual 'copied' information from Sun.
  • Reply 88 of 172
    The only reason Winblows is even remotely usable today is because of Apple.

Same goes for mobiles.
  • Reply 89 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joergsi View Post

Nope, Apple has stolen from XEROX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

regards,

Joerg

Wrong, Apple paid for it with company stock. There wasn't any "stealing" going on.
  • Reply 90 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

PS did you also know that Microsoft came up with the quick finder concept? Again. I'm a mac user but msft never got the quick finder to work. But apple did and called it spotliight. .

Another example of taking AN IDEA (which are not copyrightable in or out of the computer world) and creating something out of it. Which is the very nature of innovation. And so long as it stays just the bare idea, that is not stealing
  • Reply 91 of 172
    Quote:

Your link has nothing to do with Apple and stealing the GUI, unless you want to clarify.
  • Reply 92 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

From Mac OS X is where.

As for your video. That was a demo from 2003. of a project that actually never took off. for all you know, Apple licensed any actual 'copied' information from Sun.

FYI, Apple had a composited desktop in 2000, and later moved it to the GPU to improve performance. Project "Looking Glass" was more desktop effects than what Apple had at the time, but was based on the same tech.

Apple -> Sun -> Linux -> and of course last, loser Microsoft.
  • Reply 93 of 172
    I do not know what is worse, making such stupid comment to the media, knowing that the perception is you copied many features from Apple. Which I is not a bad thing, If you can improve on the original design.

The jury is out on Windows 7, but it is much much better than Vista and better than XP.

To actually try and retract such comment is really stupid and makes me wonder, who has the brains in that company, since it was MS employee who made the statement.

I wonder if he will get a good bonus this year
  • Reply 94 of 172
    MacDailyNews Take: Microsoft has been banking on ignorance for 30+ years. It's no wonder they fear the truth, especially when it emanates from inside their own ranks. Calling more attention to it via this lame rebuke only highlights Microsoft's endemic ineptitude. That said, glasses up, "May Steve Ballmer remain Microsoft's CEO for as long as it takes!"
  • Reply 95 of 172
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

LOL @ saying os x lite isn't a true touch OS because it doesn't run two apps on the screen? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. It's UNIX based and was built for that. The whole OS does not run one file, it constantly has multiple tasks going on. Apple just doesn't allow consumer apps to run in the background because... a) most consumer devs are idiots and would produce memory leaks b) couldn't sandbox the app as much from taking down a mobile platform c) TO PRESERVE BATTERY LIFE.

<This is where you insert you few lines of John Dvorak type remarks> KGO.

What are you talking about? OS lite? Memory leaks?
  • Reply 96 of 172
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

We covered this ages ago: The Apple dock is the evolution of the NeXT dock which dates back to 1988, and both are/were more than a task bar. Besides, Microsoft already admitted that they stole their 7 dock from Apple.

And you still don't get it!

How could they steal it from Apple if NeXt invented before they were part of Apple?

Where did Microsoft admit that- where is your link? I know you luv wiki- where is it?
  • Reply 97 of 172
    Its really pathetic how one statement can get such attention and cause such a spark of debate that is ultimately meaningless. Some guy who sorta works for Microsoft, who wasn't even part of the Windows 7 design team, makes one off-handed remark and suddenly the headlines flash "BREAKING: Microsoft admits to copying Mac look and feel!!" Its pretty sad that we're such a headline-centric society.

Its just like last week, when Apple makes one change to their kernel, and suddenly the web explodes with rumors of "Apple Killing Hackintoshes! Atom support is dead!" Come on, really? First of all, does that really surprise anyone? And second, there's nothing stopping a programmer with some spare time to craft a customized kernel based on 10.6.2 that reenables support - it is open-source after all.
  • Reply 98 of 172
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Just as I said yesterday , OSX has no touch features yet. So who's copying who? When does the Touch come out with SL Touch?

Speaking as someone who has actually created software to use the built-in multitouch features on both Windows 7 and Mac OS X, this is a flat-out lie.

Both Windows 7 and Mac OS X provide ways to use multitouch at the OS level. In fact, Mac OS X has had this ever since the multitouch trackpad came out (circa Tiger I believe). So Windows 7 is actually lagging a bit behind.

As for using a screen rather than a trackpad, it's splitting hairs at that point. I've tried many touchscreen desktop PCs over the years and I still don't see anything compelling about them because it isn't any more efficient to use the screen than a mouse/trackpad when you're tied to a keyboard. In fact, it's much more tiring on the arms.

And tablets are far more efficient for designers (working at subpixel levels of resolution). It's only when you go mobile where touchscreens become more compelling (as a way to save space mainly).
  • Reply 99 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Its really pathetic how one statement can get such attention and cause such a spark of debate that is ultimately meaningless. Some guy who sorta works for Microsoft, who wasn't even part of the Windows 7 design team, makes one off-handed remark and suddenly the headlines flash "BREAKING: Microsoft admits to copying Mac look and feel!!" Its pretty sad that we're such a headline-centric society.

Its just like last week, when Apple makes one change to their kernel, and suddenly the web explodes with rumors of "Apple Killing Hackintoshes! Atom support is dead!" Come on, really? First of all, does that really surprise anyone? And second, there's nothing stopping a programmer with some spare time to craft a customized kernel based on 10.6.2 that reenables support - it is open-source after all.

He represents MS. You gotta wonder how many other people think the same way at MS.

The Aldouses, the Jim Allchins, etc.

Makes you wonder what the ground-level buzz is at MS. You think one of the big topics of conversation is OS X? Dollars-to-donuts, it is.
  • Reply 100 of 172
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Oh I just thought Apple always invents everything and has them available first. \

I forgot:

1.) Microsoft has a Touch screen PC already available but Apple invented it.

2.) Microsoft had the first available Task Bar (since the 90's) but Apple invented it before they released their Dock in OSX.

Who said Apple invented the touch screen?! and who said anything about who invented the touch screen?! You were saying that Apple Mac OS X lacks touch support and the reason for that was Apple does not make touch screen computers. At least not yet.

By the way, MS does not make computers.