Microsoft denies Apple had influence on Windows 7 design

Comments

• Reply 121 of 172
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    What are we debating? MS copying Apple's look and feel is not an Apple fanboy conspiracy. An executive authorized to speak to the press said so in an official statement. No one here thinks he just made it up. Clearly, he wasn't supposed to say it but that does not make it untrue. What is there to argue about? It seems like an open and shut case complete with an un-coerced confession.
  • Reply 122 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

....but got accustomed to using and became universal, hence OSX's dock.

The OSX dock bears no resemblance to the Windows Taskbar except for the fact it's at the bottom and allows the selection of running applications. The Dock is such an obvious descendant of the one found in NeXT products, you look silly trying to imply it's copied from Microsoft, even worse when you try to equate it with the Taskbar.
  • Reply 123 of 172
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

OOOhh- a retraction.

MS knows how to keep Windows 7 alive in the news a month later. Pretty smart I think- this is obviously all planned PR.

All that anger, all that rage on here yesterday for what? NADA.

Just as I said yesterday , OSX has no touch features yet. So who's copying who? When does the Touch come out with SL Touch?

OS X has multi-touch support, the MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and the Magic Mouse.
  • Reply 124 of 172
    Quote:

So technically Windows mobile is Windows and therefor MS Windows had mobile first??

WindowsCE is not NT or 9x ported to work on ARM.
  • Reply 125 of 172
    Quote:

OOOhh- a retraction.

MS knows how to keep Windows 7 alive in the news a month later. Pretty smart I think- this is obviously all planned PR.

All that anger, all that rage on here yesterday for what? NADA.

Just as I said yesterday , OSX has no touch features yet. So who's copying who? When does the Touch come out with SL Touch?

Funny how MS' "deliberate" PR seems to always work out so well for Apple.

Any time MS uses the word "Apple" or "Mac" in a sentence, they end up looking like retards and Apple ends up selling a whole lot more of something.
  • Reply 126 of 172
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Consultant View Post

FAIL. Apple did not STEAL anything from Xerox.

People at Xerox didn't know what to do with the technology, so Apple LICENSED it.

Microsoft then stole it from Apple. FYI to the gullible, anyone can put anything on wiki.

TRUTH: Xerox had invested a million dollars into Apple?s development while it had no relationship with Microsoft.

Why Microsoft?s Copy-Killing Has Reached a Dead End:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/1...ed-a-dead-end/

Good hell...I clicked on your link and have been reading all related articles for like an hour now...I'm addicted now...thanks!
  • Reply 127 of 172
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

The OSX dock bears no resemblance to the Windows Taskbar except for the fact it's at the bottom and allows the selection of running applications.

• Reply 128 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Funny how MS' "deliberate" PR seems to always work out so well for Apple.

Any time MS uses the word "Apple" or "Mac" in a sentence, they end up looking like retards and Apple ends up selling a whole lot more of something.

Well notice how everyone has been discussing Win7 for the last 2 days ad nauseum?
  • Reply 129 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What makes you think I represent AI?! When you have a discussion with another person you should be clear and concise. You can't simply say because some else did it then I can do it and get away with it. If I made such mistake then I will admit it but I didn't.

Until AI gets video chat and you can see my face will you get 100% clear and concise. In the meantime we need to use common sense.
  • Reply 130 of 172
    Quote:

.....that's what I meant.....

How many times have we heard this.....just this week?

Quote:

Obviously- but it was mine's the other day to read AI's mind when they omitted vital information regarding Apple's iPhone profits. But you think you can have it both ways- right? WRONG.

No mind reading was necessary, everyone else got it. But you ignored person after person after person after person who explained it to you. And this was an article that was 12 sentences long.
  • Reply 131 of 172
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Until AI gets video chat and you can see my face will you get 100% clear and concise. In the meantime we need to use common sense.

If you can't write in clear and concise manner then may be you should stop posting, take some writing classes, and come back. Otherwise, stop blaming others for your lack of writing and communication skills.
  • Reply 132 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Good hell...I clicked on your link and have been reading all related articles for like an hour now...I'm addicted now...thanks!

Here's a good one too:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...C7858E854.html

Compare all you like of how behind Microsoft was in desktop technology to Apple and NeXT.

I love this line: "I'd like to point out that I spent much of the 90s disappointed not that Microsoft built Windows upon concepts Apple invented for the Mac, but that Windows was such a poor copy. "
  • Reply 133 of 172
    Quote:

Well notice how everyone has been discussing Win7 for the last 2 days ad nauseum?

We've also been discussing Vista for the last 2 YEARS ad nauseum. That discussion is also what nearly destoyed MS' image and contributed to record Apple gains.

By all means though, let's keep talking about how MS admitted they ripped off Apple.
  • Reply 134 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If you can't write in clear and concise manner then may be you should stop posting, take some writing classes, and come back. Otherwise, stop blaming others for your lack of writing and communication skills.

Perhaps you and you alone should take all what you mention and perhaps an anger management class on top of it since you're the ONLY one who didn't understand the post . Good bye.
  • Reply 135 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We've also been discussing Vista for the last 2 YEARS ad nauseum. That discussion is also what nearly destoyed MS' image and contributed to record Apple gains.

By all means though, let's keep talking about how MS admitted they ripped off Apple.

They didn't- one employee who doesn't speak for MS did.

And everyone likes Win7, except diehard Mac addicts, so I don't quite get the comparison. \
  • Reply 136 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

How many times have we heard this.....just this week?

No mind reading was necessary, everyone else got it. But you ignored person after person after person after person who explained it to you. And this was an article that was 12 sentences long.

1.) You haven't- you're misquoting me. Where are the quotes?

2.) What are you talking about? As if I was the only person who didn't get that half a sentence ommission compared to my one word omit. Give it up.
  • Reply 137 of 172
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Perhaps you and you alone should take all what you mention and perhaps an anger management class on top of it since you're the ONLY one who didn't understand the post . Good bye.

I am not the one who keeps typing in caps and feels compelled to reply to everyone in the thread
  • Reply 138 of 172
    Quote:

And everyone likes Win7, except diehard Mac addicts, so I don't quite get the comparison. \

Not everyone. I do not like Windows in general, that's 15 years of not liking Windows. I have a Mac for a very short time, I'm not a diehard fan which owns every Apple product and I do not like everything that Apple does either.
  • Reply 139 of 172
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member
    Quote:

Why does everybody act on here like this is some new EVIL INVENTION of copying that MS is perpetuating.

MMMUUuuuuaaaaaHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the history and very nature of capitalism itself for crying out loud- be it cars , planes , trains, automobiles, hamburgers- you name it.

Such misguided energy. Really! Get over it. Nothing is an exact copy of anything.

No wonder people accuse y'all of being blinded followers of dictator Apple.

Because Microsoft is the biggest consumer software company in the World. They own over 90% of the computer OS and Office suite. Not to mention a big chunk of the server software business and internet browser market. They are also one of the biggest and most recognized company in the World. Period. One would expect that such a company would have the best and brightest working for them. Their RD bugdet alone is most likely equal to the total revenue of many of their smaller competitors. One would expect that every other software company to be copying from them.

Apple, as a whole, may not be consider a small company. But it is a very small software company. And yet, it is their software that that seems to set the standard for others. Time after time.

Apple is also a very small computer hardware company when compared to Dell, HP or Acer. And yet, it is their designs that are copied by others.

Apple is a small and young mobile company when compared to old timers like Nokia, Sony/Ericsson, or Motorola. Whose been in the mobile business since it began. But all the other cell phone makers are trying desparately to come up with an "iPhone killer". Before the iPhone becomes the iPod of the mobile market.

So the bottom line is that Microsoft shouldn't have to copy. They should be the one that everyone is copying from. But it is not in their culture to win over consumers with superior products. It is much easier to copy someone elses work and hope that the monopoly they have does the rest. But they're finding out that it's no longer like the good old days. When they could actually get away with abusing their monopoly to "win" over consumers.
  • Reply 140 of 172
    Quote:

OOOhh- a retraction.

Did you know that Snow Leopard shipped with a re-sizable popup keyboard built right into the OS. If that is not for touch screen applications. What is it for???????

Think and learn before you post.....