Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.2 with guest account bug fix

Comments

• Reply 121 of 144
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Not my document, but I should still be able to print it. At least get an error message if it fails, not just silently do nothing (or crash, as some people have reported).

It won't necessarily crash. But wrap-arounds, if any, will be off. Type will run off the page on to another, or will draw up short, and type from the next page will end up on the one before. Or hyphens will get screwed. Then you'll get rivers where you painstakingly, and manually eliminated them earlier.

Or the weight won't be right, or the character won't look as nice.

On multiple columns, where you aligned the type so the weight of each side was balanced, is now giving one a much blacker look than another so that it looks as though the page is falling over to one side.

There are so many problems that can come from not using well declared fonts.
  • Reply 122 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Two posts, both about you being everyone.

Never claimed to be "everyone", Another person at Macrumors mentioned the same problem, and nobody over there has said the problem is resolved AFAIK. Perhaps you can point out the "everyone at Macrumors" to which you refer? Or are they a secret army, that only you are privy to?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Post your System Logs. Until then you behave as an amateur.

Haha...I never claimed to be a "professional" like you so obviously think you are (that isn't an invitation for you to bore us with your "credentials" btw). I do expect better of Apple, however. The continuing artifacts and tearing issues look sloppy as hell.
  • Reply 123 of 144
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Booting into the 64 bit kernel on my Unibody Macbook now feels as though it is a lot cooler. In fact cooler than 32 bit mode was under 10.6.1. Anyone else seeing this? 64 bit mode now feels as though it is the better choice for daily activity.
  • Reply 124 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Booting into the 64 bit kernel on my Unibody Macbook now feels as though it is a lot cooler. In fact cooler than 32 bit mode was under 10.6.1. Anyone else seeing this? 64 bit mode now feels as though it is the better choice for daily activity.

Have you tried any peripherals with it yet, such as a printer?
  • Reply 125 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Seems like a lot of people having issues are using relatively new Macs. I've never had a problem with my 2006 iMacs. One can only think that Apple's quality control has gone in the toilet the past few years - that plus the fact I'm forced to get a glossy screen means I'll never by updating to new hardware.

I had this happen but when i was using FCP it would suddenly cut out the sound and then make horrible scratching type noise. Then no sound from any apps would work. The fix for me was:

1. Shut down MBP (in my case bought earlier this year)

2. Hold down the LEFT shift key, control key and option key and hold down the power button for 5 seconds. If you are plugged in, the light on your plug should go out.

3. Let go all buttons and press the power button to start up.

This resets the SMU (or some such acronym)

After doing this, my sound issues were fixed. Hope it helps.
  • Reply 126 of 144
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Have you tried any peripherals with it yet, such as a printer?

Yes, tried a networked HP printer. It worked fine.
  • Reply 127 of 144
    My screen saver won't launch after updaing. It pops up with "you are opening the application screensaverengine for the first time" then when I hit open, nothing happens
  • Reply 128 of 144
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ad4m.phillips View Post

My screen saver won't launch after updaing. It pops up with "you are opening the application screensaverengine for the first time" then when I hit open, nothing happens

I have Serene Saver Pro and my "perference" panel won't open with Snow Leopard, so I can't change anything.
  • Reply 129 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I have Serene Saver Pro and my "perference" panel won't open with Snow Leopard, so I can't change anything.

All screen savers must now be 64 bits. Sadly, almost none are. I also have Serene Screen's savers. They say they are working to upgrade them to 64 bit versions.
  • Reply 130 of 144
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

All screen savers must now be 64 bits. Sadly, almost none are. I also have Serene Screen's savers. They say they are working to upgrade them to 64 bit versions.

Thanks for the info. I'll guess I'll wait and not try to figure out how to resolve the problem. My program works except that I can't open the preference panel and change any scenes of settings. I really like the Serene Saver Pro. Worth the price to me.
  • Reply 131 of 144
    Mine is just the standard iTUnes artwork though
  • Reply 132 of 144
    Quote:

Mine is just the standard iTUnes artwork though

Are you using an Apple screensaver? Some of them aren't yet 64 either.
  • Reply 133 of 144
    Yeah, it's the Apple iTunes Artwork screensaver. That's strange.
  • Reply 134 of 144
    Quote:

Yeah, it's the Apple iTunes Artwork screensaver. That's strange.

I guess screensavers wasn't their highest priority.
  • Reply 135 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Verloc View Post

Never claimed to be "everyone", Another person at Macrumors mentioned the same problem, and nobody over there has said the problem is resolved AFAIK. Perhaps you can point out the "everyone at Macrumors" to which you refer? Or are they a secret army, that only you are privy to?

Haha...I never claimed to be a "professional" like you so obviously think you are (that isn't an invitation for you to bore us with your "credentials" btw). I do expect better of Apple, however. The continuing artifacts and tearing issues look sloppy as hell.

Mechanical Engineer, Computer Scientist worked at NeXT and Apple, dick less.

Post your f'n logs or shut the hell up.
  • Reply 136 of 144
    Apart from feeding the trolls. I updated to 10.6.2 today from 10.5.x. The system is good. Sucky programs still suck, but I wish everyone would make software like Safari. It is quite fast. My HP all-in-one works great and so does my WatchGuard VPN to work. It helped to wait.

The Apple screen savers work well, including iTunes Artwork. Why don't you download the combo update and try again?
  • Reply 137 of 144
    10.6.2 still hasn't fixed my issue with my external USB hard drive.

Since I installed Snow Leopard my one external USB hard drive that I use for my Time Machine backups randomly disconnects itself. Under Leopard everything worked fine and the hard drive stayed connected.

I have tried everything to resolve in Snow Leopard from re-formatting the hard drive to deleting all partitions and rebuilding...nothing works. My other external hard drive works fine.

It's very weird.
  • Reply 138 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_Moriarty View Post

10.6.2 still hasn't fixed my issue with my external USB hard drive.

Since I installed Snow Leopard my one external USB hard drive that I use for my Time Machine backups randomly disconnects itself. Under Leopard everything worked fine and the hard drive stayed connected.

I have tried everything to resolve in Snow Leopard from re-formatting the hard drive to deleting all partitions and rebuilding...nothing works. My other external hard drive works fine.

It's very weird.

Have you tried looking for an updated driver for your external HDD? or trying a different USB port on both devices (if the HDD case has it)?
  • Reply 139 of 144
    Apple should be ashamed to issue a new operating system (Snow Leopard) which will not run previous verious of apps like iWork. That is almost enough to make this loyal Apple customer to move on along - that and the iPhone fiasco with ATT&T only. Sheesh!
  • Reply 140 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post

Apple should be ashamed to issue a new operating system (Snow Leopard) which will not run previous verious of apps like iWork. That is almost enough to make this loyal Apple customer to move on along - that and the iPhone fiasco with ATT&T only. Sheesh!

Which version of iWork doesn't work?