Confused about AT&T plans

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I currently have a $39.99 individual plan with AT&T and an iphone, along with the $30 data plan and the $5 text messaging. Works great for me. My bill is usually between $75 and $80.

My husband and two kids are on Verizon. We are paying what seems to be through the nose for not much. The bill is usually around $180 for three lines and none have data plans, and they are always well under their 1400 minutes. Just nutty. So I'm looking into moving them over.

Is the $30 data plan per iphone? So, say I have four phones on my plan. Two are iphones, two are not. Would I have to pay $60 PLUS the unlimited text messaging plan or whatever (no data) for a family plan for the other two phones, PLUS two iphone text messaging plans? Huh?

Basically I would want the 1400 minute plan (my husband and son talk a lot) and would need unlimited texting for the whole family. Two iphones with data plans, and two regular phones without data plans. What would I be signing up for? And would I save money?

Also, does anyone have any insight on the AT&T unity plan? I have an AT&T landline, but looking at the plans, how does this save me money? I'm not sure I understand the benefit aside from a combined bill. The 1400 family plan is the same price ($89) whether you have Unity or not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Anyone?

Someone here has got to have an AT&T family plan and/or an AT&T Unity plan....???
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranchogirl View Post

I currently have a $39.99 individual plan with AT&T and an iphone, along with the $30 data plan and the $5 text messaging. Works great for me. My bill is usually between $75 and $80.

My husband and two kids are on Verizon. We are paying what seems to be through the nose for not much. The bill is usually around $180 for three lines and none have data plans, and they are always well under their 1400 minutes. Just nutty. So I'm looking into moving them over.

Is the $30 data plan per iphone? So, say I have four phones on my plan. Two are iphones, two are not. Would I have to pay $60 PLUS the unlimited text messaging plan or whatever (no data) for a family plan for the other two phones, PLUS two iphone text messaging plans? Huh?

Basically I would want the 1400 minute plan (my husband and son talk a lot) and would need unlimited texting for the whole family. Two iphones with data plans, and two regular phones without data plans. What would I be signing up for? And would I save money?

Also, does anyone have any insight on the AT&T unity plan? I have an AT&T landline, but looking at the plans, how does this save me money? I'm not sure I understand the benefit aside from a combined bill. The 1400 family plan is the same price ($89) whether you have Unity or not.

For you it would be 89.99 for the data plan plus $60 for two iphone data plans, plus $20 for two additional lines plus 30 for family unlimited messaging . That's $199. Then add whatever you pay for taxes. Quick estimate $210-$230 depending on where you live. You'll save around $30-40.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Anyone?

Someone here has got to have an AT&T family plan and/or an AT&T Unity plan....???

I have a Family Plan, with 3 iPhones.

You pay exactly what it says on the AT&T website, could not be more clear.

#1. Minutes (whatever you want, includes TWO lines. A third line is an additional $40 on top of the plan cost)

#2. Unlimited Data plan PER iPhone ($30 each)

#3. Unlimited Messaging ($30 total, meaning $30 that everyone shares)

I pay just over $200/mon for what equals basically unlimited iPhone usage for 3 people. We have the cheapest voice plan, because no one talks on their phone all day long like some 14 year old girl. The unlimited nights and weekends, and Roll Over, is more than enough padding as well.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I have a Family Plan, with 3 iPhones.

You pay exactly what it says on the AT&T website, could not be more clear.

#1. Minutes (whatever you want, includes TWO lines. A third line is an additional $40 on top of the plan cost)

#2. Unlimited Data plan PER iPhone ($30 each)

#3. Unlimited Messaging ($30 total, meaning $30 that everyone shares)

I pay just over $200/mon for what equals basically unlimited iPhone usage for 3 people. We have the cheapest voice plan, because no one talks on their phone all day long like some 14 year old girl. The unlimited nights and weekends, and Roll Over, is more than enough padding as well.

Well, I *do* have a 14 year old. lol

So, if I get the unlimited messaging at $30, that covers all 4 of us and I do NOT need to buy two iphone messaging plans for the two iphones?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Well, I *do* have a 14 year old. lol

So, if I get the unlimited messaging at $30, that covers all 4 of us and I do NOT need to buy two iphone messaging plans for the two iphones?

correct.