TomTom to add lane guidance, text to speech to iPhone app

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
TomTom announced Thursday that it will update its iPhone GPS navigation application to add text-to-speech, lane guidance, iPod control, and a "Help Me!" safety menu. The free update is said to be coming to all users of the software soon.

"The TomTom app for iPhone is a priority for us and we are committed to both its long term development and everyday improvements," said Benoit Simeray, TomTom?s senior vice president, On-board Mobile. "Current and future customers of our application for the iPhone can count on more great updates from TomTom for free."

TomTom said the updated software was submitted to Apple for review Thursday. The new, "significant" features are:

Advanced lane guidance giving drivers extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions. For the first time this is in both landscape and portrait mode.

Text-to-speech helping motorists to keep their eyes on the road by enabling street names and places to be read aloud as part of the spoken instructions.

"Help Me" providing direct access to emergency numbers and directions to the nearest emergency providers.

Updated map and safety camera database.

Customizable audio warnings when approaching safety cameras or driving over the speed limit, increasing driver safety and saving money.

iPod player control ensuring drivers can conveniently control their music from within the application.

The TomTom application with U.S. and Canada maps sells in the App Store for $99. Maps are also available For Western Europe ($139.99), Australia ($79.99) and New Zealand ($94.99).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    About fricking time. Still a poor value vs Navigon (Better app) or CoPilot (cheap app)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

About fricking time. Still a poor value vs Navigon (Better app) or CoPilot (cheap app)

or google maps, pre-installed on the phone. But I guess there are a lot of stupid people out there who just cant read a map. Need to have it read to them.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post

or google maps, pre-installed on the phone. But I guess there are a lot of stupid people out there who just cant read a map. Need to have it read to them.

Hmm, ever thought you should be looking at the road and not peering at Google maps on the iPhone?

I also think that TomTom is poor value compared to the competition, especially here in Europe.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    so much for soon