Apple looks to hire AAA game developer for in-house iPhone team

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypermark View Post

Actually my experience with Apple dates back to 1994 (Apple partner, Tribe Computer Works), and I don't make a nickel on my blogging so not sure what you mean by 'career.' As to making points and backing them with links, you are certainly entitled to your perspective that that's somehow bad form, but I'd argue the contrary. The blogosphere is all about links. You make your point, if you have deeper thought, reference it, and the community can decide whether they care or not, and then click or not.

Always amazes me how some people knee jerk to the personal.

Well apologies for coming across as more personal than I intended, but I just don't find your comments that insightful and if you've been on the Internet as long as you say you have then you should know that it *is* actually a violation of standard netiquette to advertise your own stuff on a forum like this. It's rarely done and usually frowned upon.

Posting a link to someone else's stuff for reference is a different thing altogether from posting links to your own thoughts or your own website. If everyone did that, it would be pretty horrible and almost impossible to read the forums wouldn't it? The whole idea behind the forum thing is to post your thoughts *now* and *here* on what you think of a topic.

Anyway, excuse me for being cranky. Just as you come across as kind of smug to me, I know I come across as bitchy to others sometimes although I do try to stay positive believe it or not. It's just that you've done this many times before and I finally got tired enough of it to say something is all.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Carmack is good at making games but his on-again-off-again relationship with Apple is tiresome. Certainly Apple didn't care so much about the gaming industry, it would seem, on the Mac side, but they can't ignore it on the iPhone. Esspecially when they highlighted games when previewing the first release of the SDK.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Well, we agree to disagree, but I completely appreciate the constructive response. Discourse is a good thing.

I will say that commenting is increasingly the community AND the conversation rolled into one, which is why most services not only allow links, but encourage extending it in a myriad of ways (spend some time at Fred Wilson's A VC site to see what I mean).

That said, there is hardly uniformity of perspective on this one so I appreciate where you are coming from, even if the net out is that you find me smug and insight-LESS/LITE. :-)

Have a good one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well apologies for coming across as more personal than I intended, but I just don't find your comments that insightful and if you've been on the Internet as long as you say you have then you should know that it *is* actually a violation of standard netiquette to advertise your own stuff on a forum like this. It's rarely done and usually frowned upon.

Posting a link to someone else's stuff for reference is a different thing altogether from posting links to your own thoughts or your own website. If everyone did that, it would be pretty horrible and almost impossible to read the forums wouldn't it? The whole idea behind the forum thing is to post your thoughts *now* and *here* on what you think of a topic.

Anyway, excuse me for being cranky. Just as you come across as kind of smug to me, I know I come across as bitchy to others sometimes although I do try to stay positive believe it or not. It's just that you've done this many times before and I finally got tired enough of it to say something is all.

• Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Proper netiquette is that you create an account under a pseudonym such as your name and your favorite cheese and then proceed to post links to your "insightful" posts.

http://bit.ly/4kb77v
  • Reply 25 of 84
    I knew Carmack was full of S%*#
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:

Obviously, no actual data on what Apple is really intending, but the clear risk for Apple is that this could create a perception is reality effect for developers; namely, that Apple is cherry-picking segments that they want to own/control, in effect, competing with their developer ecosystem.

After all, Apple is not exactly the best, most transparent communicators so when you combine that with the low torrent of unhappy developers grumbling about approval process, etc., you run risk of muddying the platform play at same time Android is starting to find its legs.

For what it's worth, I blogged on this exact same scenario when the SDK was rolling out last year. Excerpt:
    Why should developers even contemplate such dark scenarios? To be blunt, Apple?s history with developers is a mixed bag. On the one hand, the very success of the Mac is a by-product of third party developer innovations in desktop publishing, spreadsheets and the like, which opened up previously unforeseen HUGE market opportunities. On the other hand, Apple has a legacy of co-opting third-party developer innovations, thus claiming new market opportunities for themselves and killing their partners in the process.
    Check out the full post, if interested:

The Scorpion, the Frog and the iPhone SDK

http://bit.ly/1IV1Np

Cheers,

Mark

Well except that you've conveniently left out the part about the abandonment and outright abuse (think Quicken among many) of Apple by developers throughout the years. Plenty of companies threw Apple into the trunk of the car while MS climbed into the passenger seat. Apple finally said "fck it, we'll just roll our own". It's been a beautiful ride ever since.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Proper netiquette is that you create an account under a pseudonym such as your name and your favorite cheese and then proceed to post links to your "insightful" posts.

lol
  • Reply 28 of 84
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Obviously, no actual data on what Apple is really intending, but the clear risk for Apple is that this could create a perception is reality effect for developers; namely, that Apple is cherry-picking segments that they want to own/control, in effect, competing with their developer ecosystem.

I for one can't WAIT for Apple to enter the Game Segment proper... And shortly after begins a nonstop bloodletting of ALL of the previously approved apps simply because Apple is developing or about to release a driving game or FPS and CLEARLY all of the others applications of this type would have the potential to .... what's Apple call it ... 'User Confusion'...

Oh and not that AI felt the need to report on it but Rogue Amoeba has just pulled the plug on all iPhone development it's quite odd since we all KNOW Apples is nothing but fair and above board when it comes to its App approval process.

Finally I really wanted to comment on this:

"passionate gamer with 3 to 4 years of video game development experience ... Only candidates who have shipped "at least one AAA title" are asked to apply"

Hmmm....

- "3 to 4 years experience"

Translation.. Don't come to us expecting an enormous pay check... Superstars need not apply...

- "Have personally been involved in _at least_ one AAA title"

Translation: hahahahahahaha

Yea sure, because the development teams responsible for rolling out AAA titles are usually FILLED with people who only have 2-3 years experience in the game market.

Somehow I think Apple needs to revisit the core job requirements....
  • Reply 29 of 84
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Typically, if you want to produce a very solid title you want somebody who's worked on two or more "AAA" titles and at least 6-7 years in the industry. The pos reqs, say to me that Apple want somebody they can mold, or somebody who doesn't expect a big paycheck, or both.

It seems to me that Apple have never really understood gaming. Lets hope that this newfound embracing of gaming on the iPhone/iPod touch will translate to the Mac. In the form of better drivers and GPUs.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Dave,

As a point of clarity, are you hoping that this scenario plays out because you think it will lead to a better iPhone platform (i.e., raise the bar), or because you want the platform to fail?

As to requirements, general observation wrt hiring practices is that Apple is pedigree centric; they like people who have come from big name companies (relative to field of expertise), but that culturally are shapeable to the Apple way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I for one can't WAIT for Apple to enter the Game Segment proper... And shortly after begins a nonstop bloodletting of ALL of the previously approved apps simply because Apple is developing or about to release a driving game or FPS and CLEARLY all of the others applications of this type would have the potential to .... what's Apple call it ... 'User Confusion'...

Oh and not that AI felt the need to report on it but Rogue Amoeba has just pulled the plug on all iPhone development it's quite odd since we all KNOW Apples is nothing but fair and above board when it comes to its App approval process.

Finally I really wanted to comment on this:

"passionate gamer with 3 to 4 years of video game development experience ... Only candidates who have shipped "at least one AAA title" are asked to apply"

Hmmm....

- "3 to 4 years experience"

Translation.. Don't come to us expecting an enormous pay check... Superstars need not apply...

- "Have personally been involved in _at least_ one AAA title"

Translation: hahahahahahaha

Yea sure, because the development teams responsible for rolling out AAA titles are usually FILLED with people who only have 2-3 years experience in the game market.

Somehow I think Apple needs to revisit the core job requirements....

• Reply 31 of 84
    i think Apple might be doing this in part to counter what Carmack said (they could've posted the job listing any other time...why now?!).

it certainly doesn't want people starting to question if Apple is embarassed of the touch being a gaming device.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

Lets hope that this newfound embracing of gaming on the iPhone/iPod touch will translate to the Mac. In the form of better drivers and GPUs.

Better drivers and GPU's? I'm seriously hoping that turns out to be the case. When Diablo 3 comes out I'm buying a gaming rig and I'd like it to be running OSX. Can't stand Windows! But if any Apple system short of a $2,500 Mac Pro is going to have lame GPU's I can't upgrade every year I'll tolerate a Windows 7 system. I mean, I just got to murder Diablo again!
  • Reply 33 of 84
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

thanks! i needed that.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Carmack is only saying there are people at Apple who are embarrassed about being recognized for gaming. Apple is a big company and all its employees won't share the same opinion. It's been clear for a long time that on the whole, Apple has had very little official interest in games; but even on their iMac performance page, they show Need for Speed Carbon:

http://www.apple.com/uk/imac/performance.html

and that's not even a native game - it's a Cider port. So while some employees will dislike being associated with gaming, others won't. I personally view the iphone and ipod as more like Newton-type PDAs that also happen to do games.

iphone games at PSP quality still aren't available in the same quantity as they are on the PSP. The PSP has over 700 games developed professionally. The iphone has under 50 developed by major studios and a good number that are developed by big studios are of poor quality.

I don't think a single employee will change that. Apple need to either build an in-house gaming studio like Microsoft has or partner up with a big developer like Gameloft whose work on the iphone has been the best out of any developer so far.

We shouldn't forget the possibility of online gaming changing things entirely. Crysis has already been demoed streaming live to an iphone. There are at least 3 services coming - OTOY, OnLive (which goes live this Winter with major backing from big companies) and Transgaming's service. This will allow Apple to get into gaming in a big way without committing to it.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I hope it is not just for iPhone OS. There is lots of money to be made in gaming. Mac OS X games and maybe even Apple TV games would be great.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is looking to hire a game and media software engineer for its iPhone and iPod touch team, perhaps signaling that the company intends to expand its first-party software offerings.

<SNIP>

Apple is looking for a "passionate gamer" with 3 to 4 years of video game development experience.

<SNIP>

"The position also requires a creative thinker who can contribute and comment on the design process as well as being flexible enough to aid in all aspects of production such as asset management and able to work to a deadline," the listing reads.

This signals a great opportunity for the gaming community to get one of their own's "foot in the door" at Cupertino and fight their way up the ranks of opinionatedness to present the case, the tactics and the strategy for gaming to Apple Inc from within "the belly of the whale".

In other words, a virtual "human Trojan Horse". Only this time, to not only physically infiltrate their walls, but "by doing in Rome as the Romans do" (i.e. acquiring the Cupertino culture), to permeate the corporate thinking and present a better gaming experience on the Apple platform in a way that will reflect the elegance simplicity, style and fun that is associated with the marque.

Win-Win for all sides of the divide: gamers, Apple device lovers, game developers and last but far, far from least, Apple Inc itself...
  • Reply 37 of 84
    But Apple is embarrssed about gaming on the the iPhone.

Whatever.

This is excellent news.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is looking to hire a game and media software engineer for its iPhone and iPod touch team, perhaps signaling that the company intends to expand its first-party software offerings.?

But John Carmack, creator of the classic PC game Doom, recently said he believes that Apple is uncomfortable with the growing popularity of games on the iPhone and iPod touch. He said he believes Apple executives would prefer the hardware to be taken more seriously.

"At the highest level of Apple, in their heart of hearts," Carmack said, "they're not proud of the iPhone being a game machine, they wish it was something else."

This is the second article/reference reported by AppleInsider that purports a negative reference of John Carmack towards Apple.

I would like to point out two separate articles that are contrary to what has been said here. Somehow, it just doesn't fit.

Quote:

CNBC, Published: Friday, 6 Nov 2009 | 12:14 PM ET

iPhone Has Become Threat To Nintendo: 'Doom' Creator

Carmack?s id Software plans to release one iPhone game per quarter over the next year. It has just put out ?Doom Classic,? a port of the seminal first-person shooter. Still to come are iPhone versions of ?Quake? and a second ?Doom? role-playing game. The company also hopes to have an iPhone version of ?Rage? ready to release when it launches he new action franchise, likely in 2010.

Carmack?s best known for pushing the limits of computer graphics ? something none of the previous iPhone ports have really done. And he?s getting itchy to flex his muscles.

?I?m probably going to work on some nifty, gee-whiz tech demo for the 3GS,? he says.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33721096/site/14081545

And then just yesterday:

Quote:

Macworld, Published: Nov 13, 2009 | 3:23 pm

id Software's John Carmack talks iPhone games, Doom

Making iPhone apps ?easy and fun,? gaming titan says

John Carmack didn?t need a lot of time to figure out whether he wanted to develop for the iPhone. It ?wasn?t a major strategic decision,? the game maker says. ?I just really like my iPhone.?

A lot of gamers feel the same way about Carmack?s past work. He?s the co-founder of id Software and the genius behind some of the biggest titles in gaming, including Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein 3-D and many others. His engines have been used to create other award winning titles such as Half-Life, Call of Duty, and Medal of Honor.

But recently, his considerable developing talents have been focused on the iPhone platform. In many ways, this is a homecoming for Carmack?some of his earliest and best work was on the old Apple II.

Still, since that initial success, Carmack has returned to the Apple platform only sporadically, including a period of development for Quake 3 and when OS X first launched. The relationship between Carmack an Apple has always been a bit tumultuous, as the developer has often criticized the company for its gaming support.

But Carmack took an immediate liking to the iPhone platform, after testing ports in what began as a casual project to satisfy his curiosity. When tinkering with some early ports, he says that he realized: ?Hey, this is easy and fun.? A new venture was beginning.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1438...mack_doom.html

Perhaps his distain for Apple and the handle that some have tagged him with are a little premature.

• Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

This is the second article/reference reported by AppleInsider that purports a negative reference of John Carmack towards Apple.

I would like to point out two separate articles that are contrary to what has been said here. Somehow, it just doesn't fit.

And then just yesterday:

Perhaps his distain for Apple and the handle that some have tagged him with are a little premature.

The writing is on the wall, Abster. the writing is on the wall.

What really matters is what the product does. If it does games, Apple wants it to do games.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Apple likes to be taken seriously, but also sell well in the consumer space. The two aren't always compatible.

BlackBerry was considered a serious tool for business, but had difficulty selling to anyone else. Now RIM is working to make the BB more "fun" and modern to increase sales without chasing away the corporate suits who made them successful in the first place.

Apple nailed "fun" right away, but are still longing for respect as a serious tool. However, they're not stupid and will milk "fun" for all its worth even if iPhone never achieves the serious reputation they originally hoped it would.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Apple likes to be taken seriously, but also sell well in the consumer space. The two aren't always compatible.

BlackBerry was considered a serious tool for business, but had difficulty selling to anyone else. Now RIM is working to make the BB more "fun" and modern to increase sales without chasing away the corporate suits who made them successful in the first place.

Apple nailed "fun" right away, but are still longing for respect as a serious tool. However, they're not stupid and will milk "fun" for all its worth even if iPhone never achieves the serious reputation they originally hoped it would.

Longing for respect ??

My god you're a genius

>  < Of course LONGED while selling 3,1 million >  < macs to every corner of the world this 1/4,of course except any one who REALLY does serious computing .

THE world saw first hand the children;s shame at Nyc colleges being stuck with UNI BODY >  < MBP's. They all longed and pined for a RED dell serious tool. that runs down the street with cool chicks and crowds running after him /

I wonder if he got laid ?

Over at >  < world headquarters >  < employees hide their name plates when leaving for home .They too long for a serious phone to use .They all whip out there rims .

.Those 8,000,000  iphones sold this 1.4 have caused widespread panic for >  < shareholders world wide. They too long for a serious business stock that does not go from $13 a share to $180 a share in 18 record sales and record profit 1/4.s.

That director who would sue me if I used his name who shot and filmed and edited the whole LORD OF THE RINGS on >  < i-PODS AND >  < COMPUTERS and his whole crew and anyone ever born in NZ also LONGED for a serious movie tool to be filmed .

The MONGO SERIOUS FLAT WORLD TRADERS ASS, OR MSFT will conduct getting serious with android palm pre rim razor treo workshops across the country to somehow wean the idiots who don't long for hours of sitting on the bowl fun >  < iphones . Please note everyone must dress in there window7/vista clothes bought at the Norton virus serious people store.

We all know the real shame is that 31,000,000,000 dollars sitting in >  < bank . All of us at Cupertino are longing too hand all that fun money back for a single minute of serious computing.

add all this to zero respect at >  < for all they have not done ,

dude you are a genius . to point out the deep serious longing like feelings of THE top brass at 

i am a jerk

i really thought an  a day keeps bill gates away

i really did

I wonder if my keyboard longs to be a pen ??

peace