Help needed migrating from one iMac to another

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a previous generation 20" iMac running 10.5.8.

I also have a new 21.5" iMac that I assume is running 10.6. It's still in the unopened box.

1. If I migrate from my old one to my new one, will there be any problems, since the OS's are different?

2. I have Adobe Creative Suite 3 installed on my old iMac. Will I first need to de-authorize the old one before I move to the new iMac? Yes, it IS a fully purchased and registered CS3.

3. My current iMac was actually migrated from the first generation Intel iMac, about 3 years ago when they first went to Intel. I had that iMac for one year, then upgraded to the metal one, which I've been running for two years. My question, #3, is, should I just nuke and pave, starting all over again, or is migrating just fine? I'm having no problems at all with my current iMac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Migration should work just fine, and is the fastest and least disruptive way of switching Macs. I don't know how Adobe's registration process works anymore, but you shouldn't have to de-authorize one Mac to migrate the software to another. I presume you aren't planning on selling the old one with the software still installed.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Migration should work just fine, and is the fastest and least disruptive way of switching Macs. I don't know how Adobe's registration process works anymore, but you shouldn't have to de-authorize one Mac to migrate the software to another. I presume you aren't planning on selling the old one with the software still installed.

Before selling the current one, I'll nuke and pave that one so that all of my data is gone. The only programs that will be included on it when I sell it, are the ones that came with it when I bought it, plus the OS upgrades.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Then by all means, migrate away. If for some odd reason you encounter major problems afterwards, then you can always "nuke and pave" later (I like that one -- I will be borrowing it!).