I don't want to keep any music on my PC but still add new music to my Ipod!!!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi guys, sorry if anyone has asked this question but I am pretty clueless about forums and most technology, which is quite frightening considering that i'm only 25.

Anyway, the problem is that my hard-drive just isn't big enough for my Ipod. I have a back up of the music on an external drive but I want to just be able to plug my Ipod in and add the new stuff i've got without deleting what's already on there and not sync everything. I've got no idea how to do this or if it's even possible. If anyone could give me any tips they'd be greatly appreciated. This has only become a problem recently as my hard drive is only 100gb (it's an old laptop) and my music collection is well over that mark with my Ipod being a 160gb classic. I've got the newest version of Itunes so if you could give me a hand i'd be very thankful.

Adam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Impressive music collection for a 25 year-old. What format?

I would highly recommend that you do not store the music only on the iPod. iPod dies -> lose all music =
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Impressive music collection for a 25 year-old. What format?

I would highly recommend that you do not store the music only on the iPod. iPod dies -> lose all music =

My music is mostly in MP3 format and at a very high quality, though lower where space can be spared. My music isn't only on the ipod, I have an external drive with my music on. I just want to make it so that I can put my music on itunes just so it can be put on my ipod rather than if I plug my ipod in and it will delete everthing and put just the new artists on. I don't do technology well. Literally all I know is music.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Basically I want it to be like the Iriver I had when MP3 players first came out. I want to put on the new stuff without getting rid of any old stuff, even though the music isn't actually on my PC.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    If you use "Manually manage music and videos" (hook up your iPod and then click on on your iPod under "Devices" in the right bar in iTunes to see the option), you can drag whatever music you want onto your iPod manually without affecting what's already on it (until you max out the 160GB on the iPod, obviously).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Let me see if I have this straight.....you do not want to sync your iPod to iTunes because your hard drive is too small to hold your entire library in iTunes, right?

If this is the case, you can create a new iTunes library on your external hard drive that is big enough to hold your library. Once you create the new library, move all of your music to it. Then you can just plug in your iPod and it will sync as normal.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajrigg View Post

Hi guys, sorry if anyone has asked this question but I am pretty clueless about forums and most technology, which is quite frightening considering that i'm only 25.

Anyway, the problem is that my hard-drive just isn't big enough for my Ipod. I have a back up of the music on an external drive but I want to just be able to plug my Ipod in and add the new stuff i've got without deleting what's already on there and not sync everything. I've got no idea how to do this or if it's even possible. If anyone could give me any tips they'd be greatly appreciated. This has only become a problem recently as my hard drive is only 100gb (it's an old laptop) and my music collection is well over that mark with my Ipod being a 160gb classic. I've got the newest version of Itunes so if you could give me a hand i'd be very thankful.

Adam

I'm no expert by any stretch, but the way I had my iPod set up was as the other responder mentioned, which is Disc Mode as a Mass Storage Device, then drag songs onto it. You do this by using iTunes to set it to "Manually Manage Music". From then on it will not sync to add music, you drag music onto your iPod live moving files from one location to another. I had always dragged music within iTunes to do this, so I can't say for sure if you could drag them from anywhere on your HD or an external HD, but try it.