Microsoft looks to combat Apple globally with Zune content

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

only Ballmer could be dumb enough, despite this, to insist on using its tarnished "brand" as the name for the XBox media store. as if anyone over 30 is ever going to use an XBox (ok, there are a few), and as if teens and gamers are going to pay for any media they can get free instead from filesharing ... .

Xbox 360 owners in the UK alone spent £67 million ($113 million) on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 last Tuesday. Worldwide estimates are in the region of $600 million. Gamers have a lot of disposable income and are willing to spend it, despite despite the ease and abundance of pirate material.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    We had been an all Apple household since the mid 90's. My 12 year old son wanted a Xbox and I complained about Microsoft but he bought it. It's hooked up to our home theater system, have a Xbox live account, have Mac360 software on my computer and it totally rocks. He just bought Call of Duty which looks fantastic in 1080P, always downloading free games, like he does with my iPhone and his Touch, and loves looking at my iPhoto albums and listening to iTunes on it. Now he is looking forward to Facebook on it when it updates. We all use it for Netflix downloads which for some reason works better on the Xbox than on my Samsung blu ray player. Another benefit it my music cd's sound better on it than on my stand alone cd player. I don't see how Apple Tv can compete with this. It is really a great product with Xbox Live.

Bob
  • Reply 43 of 56
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    There are two insurmountable problems Microsoft has:

1. Microsoft does not think like Apple.

2. Steve Jobs is the CEO of Apple.

If MS can solve these two hurdles, they might have a chance.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bokap View Post

We had been an all Apple household since the mid 90's. My 12 year old son wanted a Xbox and I complained about Microsoft but he bought it. It's hooked up to our home theater system, have a Xbox live account, have Mac360 software on my computer and it totally rocks. He just bought Call of Duty which looks fantastic in 1080P, always downloading free games, like he does with my iPhone and his Touch, and loves looking at my iPhoto albums and listening to iTunes on it. Now he is looking forward to Facebook on it when it updates. We all use it for Netflix downloads which for some reason works better on the Xbox than on my Samsung blu ray player. Another benefit it my music cd's sound better on it than on my stand alone cd player. I don't see how Apple Tv can compete with this. It is really a great product with Xbox Live.

Bob

The current Apple TV can't really compete with all of that, but that is just a feature list. Features are easy to add. What Apple does well is the interface, syncing with other Apple products, and ease of use. If and when Apple decides to get serious they will be able to compete and more. I'm guessing/hoping they get serious about Apple TV (and HD video in general) in late January (Apple TV 3.0, 1080p movies, blu-ray build to order options on mac, 720p iPhone/iPod touch dock, maybe a subscription service added to iTunes, tablet, etc). A huge thing for Apple TV would be an SDK and an app store, it could happen. If none of this happens, there will continue to be better options than Apple TV.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Cover Flow look and feel but definitely not invented, inspired or whatever by this Apple company - all in house, most definitely in house invented by MS ... just like a portable Mp3 player 10 years later ... just like WIN7 is 10 years after Mac OS7 ... the more money MS throws after a bad idea, the better for us as it will be irrelevant that much quicker ... by 2020, we'll be able to buy Microsoft licensed Blu Ray blanks ... like Westinghouse, RCA or polaroid - just a licensing shell of a company as the main company retreats to server cloud hardware.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    They are not launching zune. It's a REBRAND of their existing video rental store which already exists on the 360. The only new element is instant on 1080p streaming and the addition of the zune name. Big whoop. Their prices are still crap and it's still way better value to rent blurays either from a store or via mail. You can buy the retail DVD for about the same price they charge for a rental of an HD movie on the 360. (in the UK at least)
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Let's see if I got this right:

MS took the name from their failed iPod competitor, and is using it to re-brand an on-demand service that nobody knew existed until now.

Correct?

I'd honestly love to know how many people, dollars, and PowerPoint presentations it took to make that kind of decision.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    "relatively well received Zune HD"????? Did you talk to BOTH people who own them?

Having said that, using XBox as a platform has potential. While XBox sucked for years, they're finally getting it right and it might well be the right platform for them to succeed.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm fairly certain this is not Apple's fault, it's the 'fault' of the studio's who are scared that apple will boss them about.

Well... if they are scared that Apple will boss them around, but not scared that MS will boss them around... then it is still Apple problem, don't you think?
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It's for keeping doors open and stopping paper from blowing away, I think.

And good for making Hide-A-pod

=p
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Microsoft is another word for Apple Envy
  • Reply 52 of 56
    I for one welcome any effort that might get Apple it's ass and start supplying other countries with something more than 5 Pixar shorts. (Seriously: for 3 years that's the only thing on offer in the Dutch iTunes store. And now even that is gone... no movies or series AT ALL)

I say, thank god for illegal downloads. That's the only way to follow a tv series in the Netherlands, if you dont want to wait for years for the Dutch TV-networks to pick up a series.

Maybe Microsoft will be able to supply a legal alternative.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

1) What's a Zune??

2) Too little, too late.

I'll ignore your sarcasm and act as if your questions are actually valid requests for information.

Too many Apple fanboys here like to attack anything non-Apple. If that floats your boat...go for it. Nonetheless such drivel makes the real Mac users look like arrogant idiots. What a few vocal fanatic few can do for a "cause"....sheesh.

The simple fact is that the new Zune HD is a very fine DAP/PMP. I own one as well as an iPhone. I use them for totally different purposes. The iPhone for data/calls and apps, and the Zune HD for media playback. It sounds better than my iPhone and can output higher quality video. Do I care about the sound quality? Absolutely. The video output? Maybe. It is not like I used the video out on my iPhone either. Please don't bring up the fact that the Zune needs a dock to output video; it is the same with all modern iPods thanks to changes in Apple's business model.

In regards to whether the Zune HD is as well know as the iPod, as well as your "too little, too late" comment; who really cares? If MS can build a product that will still make a profit, then they are golden. If it takes a while, then it takes a while. No company has to dethrone Apple to make a profit with their PMPs and DAPs. They don't even need a large customer base.

I can live with folks buying the iPod over the Zune due to a lack of brand knowledge, due to personal choice after researching the devices, but having to listen to the inane nonsense spouted by fanboys (of any product) is such a waste of peoples' time and energy. Just get over it. Think of how much could be done if we just harness all of the "fanboyism" energy output...it is probably more than is collected by all the solar collectors worldwide!!!

Both of these are good products. Buy what you want.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    drudru Posts: 43member
    Zune still can't run on Chinese language Windows or likely other non-English Windows.

• Reply 55 of 56
    ... .. ..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

i'll ignore your sarcasm and act as if your questions are actually valid requests for information.

Too many apple fanboys here like to attack anything non-apple. If that floats your boat...go for it. Nonetheless such drivel makes the real mac users look like arrogant idiots. What a few vocal fanatic few can do for a "cause"....sheesh.

i'll try to get over it. Maybe if ms made some products that actually inspired something other than laughter i'd be less arrogant. Deal?

the simple fact is that the new zune hd is a very fine dap/pmp.

pmp/dap? You mean the market that apple chewed up and spat out two years ago? We're waaaay beyond the pmp. As soon as the iphone hit the shelves the pmp market was doomed. Ipods still sell, but the slide is perceptible. The zune has no chance unless it's attached to a phone.

i own one as well as an iphone. I use them for totally different purposes.

i own one. The iphone. It serves all purposes.

the iphone for data/calls and apps, and the zune hd for media playback. It sounds better than my iphone and can output higher quality video.

if i had a time machine i'd go back to two years ago and shake your hand. Bravo.

do i care about the sound quality? Absolutely. The video output? Maybe. It is not like i used the video out on my iphone either. Please don't bring up the fact that the zune needs a dock to output video; it is the same with all modern ipods thanks to changes in apple's business model.

i won't bring up anything about the zune needing a dock because we're past the point where the zune actually matters. It's obsolete. Unless it's attached to a phone.

in regards to whether the zune hd is as well know as the ipod, as well as your "too little, too late" comment; who really cares?

no one. Mostly because no one really cares about the zune, ergo no one really cares whether it's as "well known" as the ipod.

if ms can build a product that will still make a profit, then they are golden.

as is anyone who can turn a profit. It might do as well as the previous zune. If that ended up turning a profit, then great. I don't recall. Does anyone?

if it takes a while, then it takes a while.

this whole "ms can afford to fail" nonsene is wearing thin. Apple users get great products in regular cycles while ms fans are left out in the cold . . . Waiting. Because ms can "afford to fail."

no company has to dethrone apple to make a profit with their pmps and daps. They don't even need a large customer base. I can live with folks buying the ipod over the zune due to a lack of brand knowledge, due to personal choice after researching the devices, but having to listen to the inane nonsense spouted by fanboys (of any product) is such a waste of peoples' time and energy. Just get over it. Think of how much could be done if we just harness all of the "fanboyism" energy output...it is probably more than is collected by all the solar collectors worldwide!!!

Both of these are good products. Buy what you want.

are you trying to convince us . . . Or yourself?

• Reply 56 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

There are two insurmountable problems Microsoft has:

1. Microsoft does not think like Apple.

2. Steve Jobs is the CEO of Apple.

If MS can solve these two hurdles, they might have a chance.

Perfectly stated.