Verizon rumored to embrace Palm in 2010 to combat iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

'Super My God' That was painful to watch...I could only handle 30 seconds! MS is the K-Mart of tech!

Please don't insult K-Mart. They try really hard.
  • Reply 22 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

That's what happens when you return something to the MS store for a refund... You get the same ole Microsoft "song and dance" from them!
  • Reply 23 of 106
    This phone's better...no wait...this one...no wait... LOL I guess they just support everything BUT the iPhone and hope that something works? Sounds pretty short-sighted to me.
  • Reply 24 of 106
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Remember people, this isn't fact. It's an analysts prediction which is far from a certainty.

We keep getting one contradictory story after the next at AT regarding Verizon. It's all much ado about nothing.
  • Reply 25 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Is it just me who's getting the feeling that even the phone companies don't know what they're doing to combat the iPhone. Seems like they're clutching at straws and can't find anything else decent.

It does seem like the best way for a company to combat the iPhone is to simply do what Apple?s bidding to get the iPhone themselves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

This would certainly explain the virulent AT&T / iPhone ads that Verizon has been running of late.

I think those are good ads, but I think it?s unprecedented for a mobile network service provider to specifically attack a mobile vendor?s phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

The question is not really if Verizon will sell Palm phones, it is how much marketing power they will put behind it.

Looking at the facts:

- The Pre does not really sell well. I know three people who bought it since it came to Europe and they all have returned it after going through 2 or 3 replacement units because of hardware problems (2 of them have an iPhone now, the third one is waiting for the Motorola "Milestone", that's the Droid's name in Europe)

- Verizon can customize and tweak Android as they seem fit, they can't do that with WebOS

- They can market the number of apps available on Android, Palm is not even halfway there

Now add a theoretical Verizon iPhone to the mix... where does that leave Palm? Begging and accepting lower subsidies, running 2-for-1 programs to inflate the stock? I think Wu is too optimistic here.

You make some good points but WebOS devices going to Verizon may just prop it up enough to make it a contender among the non-iPhone app phones. Their OS is more refined and easier to use than Android and it?s not finally got some the major bugs worked out. They really need a better SDK and they?d likely get some more developers on the platform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdmelvin View Post

What's funny is that their attempt at the iPhone killer [Droid] has failed. He stated that the sales are disappointing.

Droid is off to a great start if you don?t compare it to the current iPhone sales. It?s on par with the original iPhone numbers, according to estimates and if you look at smartphone sales for a single device they are doing very well. For a single device on a single carrier in a single country selling 100s of thousands in the first month is a success. Before the iPhone I don?t think anyone had done that kind of volume sales.
  • Reply 26 of 106
    I am very confident that verizon is embracing Web OS...as yesterday I called to activate a motorola Droid and one of the customer options for smart phones was to be directed to an Android, Blackberry and Web OS helpline for activation. I was pleasently surprised and my Droid is already being sent back, couldn't stand the thing.
  • Reply 27 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please don't insult K-Mart. They try really hard.

I know you're kidding...but you're right! Sorry!
  • Reply 28 of 106
    of a company trying to re-invent the wheel. AT&T's coverage may suck compared with Verizon... but their marketing and forward thinking ability to do a deal that might benefit them over the long term is light years ahead of Verizon. Stupid is as Stupid Does!\
  • Reply 29 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

'Super My God' That was painful to watch...I could only handle 30 seconds! MS is the K-Mart of tech!

I like the person who noticed at 2:14 in the video that a lady decided to shoplift!
  • Reply 30 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

my Droid is already being sent back, couldn't stand the thing.

May I ask why?
  • Reply 31 of 106
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Probably because it isn't an iPhone, despite all the detractors and advertising, iPhone wannabes usually don't cut it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

May I ask why?

• Reply 32 of 106
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... Droid is off to a great start if you don?t compare it to the current iPhone sales. It?s on par with the original iPhone numbers, according to estimates ...

I also think they are off to an okay start, but it's not true to say it's "on a par" or equal to, the original iPhone numbers (sales figures), at all AFAIK.
  • Reply 33 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

May I ask why?

Honest, i had high hopes for the Droid especially after dropping at&t and my 3GS because of service in my area. Verizons service is outstanding where I live, 3G everywhere and i was hoping the droid would fill my Iphone-less void. But the hardware keyboard was pretty bad, couldnt really use it to efficiently, constantly pushing wrong keys. The onscreen keyboards were decent, but so aggravating after having the luxury of an Iphone. I also noticed some lagging in the OS which is understandable but it was very over-hyped and i dont think verizon has a real competitor yet, but possibly. Im sticking with my clean, easy to use, env3 (not touch) which has given me NO problems especially after some lg updates to V05...atleast until the Pre makes its way over
  • Reply 34 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I like the person who noticed at 2:14 in the video that a lady decided to shoplift!

She?s putting something in her purse but it doesn?t look like anything sold at the store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I also think they are off to an okay start, but it's not true to say it's "on a par" or equal to, the original iPhone numbers (sales figures), at all AFAIK.

You?re correct. I had thought Apple did ~100k their first weekend. The estimates were 250,000 to 700,000 units in the first weekend alone with AT&T reporting 146,000 activations. I wasn?t able to find any actual disclosure of the actual number of sales.

Since the first iPhone could be had with signing up for AT&T at time of purchase that does make the 146k v. 100k figures a little bit closer when comparing carrier activations and shows that Verizon did pretty well. However, when looking at vendors the high initial price of the iPhone does put it a lot more in Apple?s favour over Motorola.

Overall it?s not a bad haul for Verizon and Motorola.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Is it just me who's getting the feeling that even the phone companies don't know what they're doing to combat the iPhone. Seems like they're clutching at straws and can't find anything else decent.

Actually it's even worst for the carriers with the iphone --- their business strategies on how to deal with (1) the end of their iphone exclusivity and (2) maintaining the balance of their handset line-up.
  • Reply 36 of 106
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Honest, i had high hopes for the Droid especially after dropping at&t and my 3GS because of service in my area. Verizons service is outstanding where I live, 3G everywhere and i was hoping the droid would fill my Iphone-less void. But the hardware keyboard was pretty bad, couldnt really use it to efficiently, constantly pushing wrong keys. The onscreen keyboards were decent, but so aggravating after having the luxury of an Iphone. I also noticed some lagging in the OS which is understandable but it was very over-hyped and i dont think verizon has a real competitor yet, but possibly. Im sticking with my clean, easy to use, env3 (not touch) which has given me NO problems especially after some lg updates to V05...atleast until the Pre makes its way over

I've read that the Droid camera, with flash if I may add, was big disappointment. Indoor pictures were grainy and shaken.
  • Reply 37 of 106
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svesan03 View Post

of a company trying to re-invent the wheel. AT&T's coverage may suck compared with Verizon... but their marketing and forward thinking ability to do a deal that might benefit them over the long term is light years ahead of Verizon. Stupid is as Stupid Does!\

Nobody has more forward thinking ability than Verizon --- they are really thinking long term when they make MASSIVE big bets on network build-outs that they can't recoup their capex investments for a decade or more. They ain't afraid to spend $22+ billion on FIOS that have depressed their share price for the last 5 years knowing that they can't recoup that investment for a decade or more.

Getting a hip cell phone and using those massive net adds from Tracfone --- that's all flash and no substance.
  • Reply 38 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think the number was 640k, though I can't find it at the moment.

I don't recall though anybody sitting outside Verizon stores in tents to get one though.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I've read that the Droid camera, with flash if I may add, was big disappointment. Indoor pictures were grainy and shaken.

There is an odd rounding-error bug that was just discovered. The ability to focus will be good for 24.5 days and then bad for 24.5 days. Still, the camera may still pale in comparison to the 3GS despite the 80% higher Mpx. New comparative testing will need to be done.
  • Reply 40 of 106
    Desperation.