Apple store in upscale Greenwich, Conn., to open Saturday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Construction continues at the Greenwich, Conn., Apple store as crews rush to complete the structure in time for the grand opening this Saturday.

Apple announced in a press release Tuesday that the Greenwich Avenue store will open to the public at 10 a.m. this Saturday, Nov. 21. The store is located at 356 Greenwich Avenue in the Connecticut city. This Saturday will also represent the grand opening of the new Apple store in Nashua, New Hampshire at Pheasant Lane Mall, 301 Daniel Webster Highway.

In preparation for Saturday's opening in Greenwich, crews were hard at work Tuesday on the location. It was roped off with caution tape and had a number of construction workers and heavy equipment on site, working to meet the looming deadline.

The new store planned for the U.S. hedge fund capital is located in a pricey destination home to many shops and restaurants. AppleInsider also had exclusive photos of the store's construction in September.

Greenwich is a small town well-known for being home to a large number of investment hedge funds. Its estimated population as of 2002 was 61,784.

The new location will be the fourth Apple Retail Store in Connecticut. The existing three are located in Danbury, at the Danbury Fair Mall; in Farmington, at Westfarms Mall; and at the Stamford Town Center in Stamford.

For earlier construction photos of the Greenwich site, see our story from September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    much nicer than my store, which happens to be Higuera Street Apple Store. Ours is pretty small, only 2 tables wide. Maybe they will relocate now that the three table rule is in order
  • Reply 2 of 19
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    iWonder if store decides to put the logo in the middle on the wall or behind glass in two spots. Little weird structure.

• Reply 3 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Segue…. Where there pics of the inside of the new Apple in NYC or has that not actually opened yet?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Segue…. Where there pics of the inside of the new Apple in NYC or has that not actually opened yet?

See: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._new_york.html

Or are you looking for actual pictures of it being open?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Lolol. They changed the tittle. The photos used to be "exclusive."

I love the architecture.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

See: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._new_york.html

Or are you looking for actual pictures of it being open?

Thanks for the link. I am looking of pics of it being open with more shots of the lower level.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Haha sweet, didn't think this would make the news. I live in Stamford like 12 minutes away from the store by car, and I'm 5 minute walk away from the Stamford store. I use to work in the A&F right next to it actually. If there's any interest in pics of the Greenwich store, I'll probably head over there next week just to check it out.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    . . . but those photos are rather redundant. All the information contained in those 4 photos is contained in one.

The first and fourth ones are essentially clones and the other two are closer views of the same nothing that's going on in the other two.

Do some photo editing for cripe sake.

Glad the store's opening though.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    And I thought I was having a busy week - those guys have barely got the roofing membrane on by the looks of things, and it's opening on Saturday?!?

Architecturally it looks a bit like the country cousin of the Regent's Street store in London. I'd have thought the apple logo will go behind the arched glass windows.

• Reply 10 of 19
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    It's sure not the most attractive of Apple stores. At least not so far.

I'm curious as to why they would have taken the trouble to paint over the brick but leave that awful ugly granite exposed like that. Especially the keystones.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webweasel View Post

And I thought I was having a busy week - those guys have barely got the roofing membrane on by the looks of things, and it's opening on Saturday?!?

Architecturally it looks a bit like the country cousin of the Regent's Street store in London. I'd have thought the apple logo will go behind the arched glass windows.

nice 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

nice 

That photo of the Regent Street store is really something. Tough to top that one.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Everyone of the stores in Connecticut (including the new one in Greenwich) is an hour's drive from anywhere in New Haven County. We must have the demographics. Population & affluence are running up & down the shoreline. You'd pull in everyone from Bridgeport to Rhode Island. Apple, what are you waiting for? An hour drive to Westfarms (and back) always kills my compulsive impulses.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Greenwich Ave is sort of cutesy (but not as cute as Litchfield or Chester or Cornwall) and you can get $10000 Jil Sander jackets or hardware there; the exterior architecture of the Apple Store looks like what was there before; for a bit on Greenwich shopping:

http://www.thegreenwichctlife.com/greenwich-shopping/
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's sure not the most attractive of Apple stores. At least not so far.

I'm curious as to why they would have taken the trouble to paint over the brick but leave that awful ugly granite exposed like that. Especially the keystones.

They're renovating it. Seems like Apple wants to install keystones of their own choosing while the rest of the brick is acceptable just being painted over. A clean yet efficient renovation.

I'm also hoping they'll put the Apple logo(s) in the glass. I can just imagine a brightly lit Apple in the top center, it would take away from the building's charm.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    What a curious location for this store - the area is less than 30 minutes away from an existing store in Stamford. As someone else noted, there is no Apple store that serves most of the shoreline of the state. Either downtown New Haven or the Clinton "outlet" store locations would seem better choices for new Apple store locations.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    The Stamford store is always packed, and Greenwich has so many high income families they want to have one in that city. Greenwich has some of the most expensive houses on water on the whole east cost. Also, the Stamford store is always packed, sometimes to the point you have to wait 20-30 minutes just to talk to someone, so hopefully this will take less stress off that store. I can't see the current Stamford store being able to effectively handle the holidays this year.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekstud View Post

What a curious location for this store - the area is less than 30 minutes away from an existing store in Stamford. As someone else noted, there is no Apple store that serves most of the shoreline of the state. Either downtown New Haven or the Clinton "outlet" store locations would seem better choices for new Apple store locations.

They're capitalizing on the fact that many people in Greenwich (and indeed throughout Fairfield and Westchester counties) buy $3,000 electronics like most Americans buy lunch at McDonald's.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    A little late but I live here in Greenwich and if it has not already been said the location used to be a movie theater. But I too asked the same question because they have a Apple store at the Stamford mall which is not that far away..

the Apple logo is on the glass but as it looks now (I drove in front yesterday) it looks kinda odd and empty.