WTF is Apple thinking???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This would really irritate me if I ever encountered it:

Apple patents technology that requires users to interect with ads

Quote:

Its distinctive feature is a design that doesn?t simply invite a user to pay attention to an ad ? it also compels attention. The technology can freeze the device until the user clicks a button or answers a test question to demonstrate that he or she has dutifully noticed the commercial message. Because this technology would be embedded in the innermost core of the device, the ads could appear on the screen at any time, no matter what one is doing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/bu...4&ref=business

Are you kidding? We may be 'quizzed' to see if we really read an ad or else our computer will be frozen?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

This would really irritate me if I ever encountered it:

Apple patents technology that requires users to interect with ads

Are you kidding? We may be 'quizzed' to see if we really read an ad or else our computer will be frozen?

We don't know what it's for yet. Could be something like letting you 'preview' a song in iTunes longer. To let you hear more of the song to make sure you like it
  • Reply 2 of 6
    "freeze the device until the user clicks a button or answers a test question to demonstrate that he or she has dutifully noticed the commercial message"

Oh, oh. It sounds like the DVD producers are winning. We won't be able to fast forward through the unwanted trailers and studio adds in our iTunes movies just like we can't with our DVDs.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    It could also be for ad-sponsored devices. Think "free iPhone". It could also be a defensive patent, to keep competitors from doing same.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    What competitor in the smartphone space relies on advertising to support it's "free" giveaways...

...i know, I'll Google it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It could also be for ad-sponsored devices. Think "free iPhone". It could also be a defensive patent, to keep competitors from doing same.

• Reply 5 of 6
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    This of course sounds like a terrible idea on its own.

I could see this being part of a big move to revolutionize the hand-held data device environment, however. Something like, no more data or handset revenue. An iPhone is free to own, as long as you can stand to be a part of the advertising. From the start you'll be knee deep in ads, so deep that they will be etched into your subconscious, and you'll end up spending more over time for the items/brands that Apple pushes, than you would wasting it on data costs.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    An ad-supported device had better be freaking free, like web sites and broadcast TV. No one wants to pay to watch ads.