Evidence suggests Apple at work on Mac OS X 10.7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The movie industry has moved on to prequels.

No, they've moved on from prequels to 'reimaginings'.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

I call BS. Sounds far-fetched to me.

Unless you are being very sarcastic, you apparently have no experience working on very large software projects. I will point out that sarcasm often doesn't work well on the Internet, especially with the number of non-native English participants that you will find on a technology-focused forum such as AppleInsider. One should refrain from using sarcasm on such forums and bboards unless you are certain that others understand your true meaning.

Anyhow, it is quite typical for large software projects to lock down features as release is imminent. New functionality would either be included in a minor release later, or reserved for the next major release depending on the scope of development.

If you look at a software development map, it looks a lot like a tree branch, with smaller branches and twigs (representing minor releases and patches).

It is very likely that Apple forked the source code for 10.7 during the summer, when feature functionality had been determined. Ongoing work for 10.6 Snow Leopard's imminent release continued.

My guess is that a handful of Apple engineers have been working on 10.7 for almost six months. Since Snow Leopard's release in September, more engineers have transitioned to the next gen team while others continue refining 10.6.

Look at Firefox's release history and find their product roadmap. You'll see how quickly the branches are created and we're just talking about a web browser, not an entire operating system (which has its own web browser).
  • Reply 23 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Or maybe it's 11.0. The giant-killer.

I don't think Apple will ever move to "OS-11." It would certainly seem to be a big mistake from the branding/marketing point of view.

Despite the fact that hard-core Apple-ites will make fun of people who pronounce the "X" instead of saying it as "10," most people actually do think of it as the letter X and it's a central part of the branding. Let's face it, most youngsters, especially in the USA don't even use the "th" or "nd" after dates anymore and they sure as heck don't know squat about roman numerals.

"OS X" is not really "OS 10" and never has been.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post

people in the media keep going on about "mature" os's and such saying there's nothing left to really add. that's total bs. like why don't "modern, mature" os's have network awareness? like in the sense that, well if i'm on my home network, I want my network drives mounted, and if i'm at work, i don't. (or want different ones) so that i can't click the wrong thing. Or like how come it can't tell when i'm on my home network that it should switch the default printer to my home printer and not the office printer.

I thought laptops were starting to sell more than desktops so how come portability features aren't being worked in?

p.s. what the heck was the point of this article. "Yes, we've got insider sources telling us people at apple are still going to work in the morning even after the release of snow leopard"

I?d like a GPS chip in the next Mac portables. I?d like to have Weather, Stock and Movie widgets, for example, be able to determine my location automatically. I?d like MobileMe?s Find My IPhone also have a Find My Mac option just in case. I?d like Google?s location services and other sites I deem safe to automatically use my location when I access the browser.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Lion touch.

touch Kitty??
  • Reply 26 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

apple is working on 10.7?

that's a surprise.

in other breaking news, microsoft is working on winmo7, ea sports is working on *sport title* 2k11, car manufacturers are working on their next model year cars, and the movie industry is working on sequels.

Yup, its a slow news morning, for sure. I'm working on my second latte of the day. Working my way towards lunch. By the way, I heard that a bunch of analysts are working on a new APL analysis angle. The future is just full of surprises this morning!
  • Reply 27 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

"OS X" is not really "OS 10" and never has been.

Not so sure... OS X is only ever referred to as OS 10 when spoken, isn't it. I agree the visual impact of OS X is hard to beat, however, but OSII ain't so bad.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    Quote:

Lion touch.

Sounds risky!
  • Reply 29 of 77
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

No, they've moved on from prequels to 'reimaginings'.

OK it isn't a movie per say but the recently concluded Battlestar Gallactica was one of the best re-imaginings I've seen.

Oh by the way yes this is a thread hijack.

Dave
  • Reply 30 of 77
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    Very reasonable and likely true. The number scheme does indeed match up. Additionally, I don't believe we'll be going away from OSX anytime soon. A few reasons, these being the most notable two:

• branding (they've built a solid identifiable brand around this nomenclature)

• X is a reflection of uniX not the version after OS9... It was just a fun and handy way to progress with the old naming. Especially with NeXT heritage.

So, yeah, no problems here nor nothing surprising... move along.

The best thing would be for them to replace mach with xen, but with Citrix in the mix that is worrisome. I would love to see parallel OS running with hardware hotswitching and improved kernel message passing performance. Up to now Linux or the newer versions of FreeBSD are still viable replacements as the kernel and filesystem need serious work, even in Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    I recall Steve Jobs in the Snow Leopard keynote (I believe this was last january) saying that this version of OS X would be the last "Rapid Fire" release... as they realize that many industries can't keep buying a new OS every year.

Because of this, I would bet 10.7 will not rear it's head for another year and a half... Unless, as some one mentioned, it's required for the tablet launch, which I highly doubt; We'll see 10.6.3 for the tablet launch, is my guess.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    Where's grand surprise?

X.6's tough start showed Apple didn't have enough resources to refactor big chunks of code within reasonable timeframe of the release cycle.

They may indeed fork the task force right now to start the development of the next major version.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Nice OS X.VII Can't wait. As far as dropping support for 32 bit and single core actually sounds good. Since we don't have ppc, and all intel models ( I think) are core duos at least this would be a good way to cut down on axcess code.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

I call BS. Sounds far-fetched to me.

it is 100% the truth and 100% non news. Any software company worth a hoot is going to have two major departments. 1 for support of the current software and 1 for development of the next version. so yeah, of course they are working on 7 already. probably have been working on it for a few months now.

Quote:

The movie industry has moved on to prequels.

indeed. anyone who is anyone knows that

Brown in the new Black

Multitouch is the new Mouse

Mac is the new PC

Adaptations are the new Originality

Prequels are the new Sequels

Vampires (especially ones with perfect hair) are the new Hot Babes

and when all else fails, send in Bruce Willis with a quippy remark, a total lack of techno know-how and a really big gun.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

The blog-o-sphere is afire with rumors of Apple working on 10.7? Is it a slow news day or something?

I'd assumed they've been working on this since the day 10.6 was released, if not before.

I think it's safe to assume they're working on iPhone OS 4 now, and AppleTV OS 4 as well.

of course they are working on the next version. this fluffy filler for a slow news day.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    That is amazing how someone at MacRumors figured out that 10.7 would follow 10.6, since the number 7 normally follows the number 6. Do they really think computer companies sit around doing nothing for two years and then suddenly snap their fingers and a new version instantly appears? Bunch of morons.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

That is amazing how someone at MacRumors figured out that 10.7 would follow 10.6, since the number 7 normally follows the number 6. Do they really think computer companies sit around doing nothing for two years and then suddenly snap their fingers and a new version instantly appears? Bunch of morons.

I also hear that Microsoft is working on WIndows 8 while Sony is planning a PS4! It's true!
  • Reply 38 of 77
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    10.7 will be called Lion (hear me roar: meow). It will be feature-rich and will incorporate technologies recently acquired throughout the OS. Some iPhone OS features will be brought over to this version of OSX.

10.7 is the Lion of Jobs!
  • Reply 39 of 77
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the information suggests Apple has begun work on Mac OS X 10.7, as expected, it offers no hints or details as to what the next version of the operating system might offer.

Who cares what it might offer, what is the NAME??????
  • Reply 40 of 77
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Who cares what it might offer, what is the NAME??????

How about Sylvester?