Evidence suggests Apple at work on Mac OS X 10.7

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

So, why *wouldn't* apple be working on 10.7?

My guess is the ground work for 10.7 got moving before 10.6 even made it out the door.

Yep... me too... infact only a few weeks back I posted a comment in a 10.7 wishlist tread that "Hey isn't it about time we start hearing some minor rumblings WRT 10.7"

here was my basic line of reasoning...

Lets guess the apx release date...

Taken From the OS X Wiki:

------------------------------

10.0 -> 10.1 took 185 days (6 months)

10.1 -> 10.2 took 332 days (10 months)

10.2 -> 10.3 took 427 days (14 months)

10.3 -> 10.4 took 553 days (18 months)

10.4 -> 10.5 took 910 days (29 months)

10.5 -> 10.6 took 672 days (22 months)

------------------------------

So for me:

10.6 -> 10.7 estimate 711 days (23 months)

AKA: August 9th 2011 (probably delayed till 'end of summer')

Which fits in well with the following:

OS X 10.7 developer preview @ WWDC 2010 and apx 12 months later the GM.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

OS X 10.7 developer preview @ WWDC 2010 and apx 12 months later the GM.

I'd be shocked to see a dev preview at WWDC 2010 unless the tablet runs the same platform. My "WAG" is a release in 2012. Snow Leopard is Apple's statement that the Mac OS X platform is mature, the feature set is more or less complete, and their prime focus is bringing more platforms on board with their overall consumer electronics strategy.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say that 10.7 is not going to be geared as any major facelift but rather re-emphasize Apple's "digital media hub" concept that they originally crafted with the first iMacs, and some additional plumbing tweaks and APIs for professional computing customers. It may even be possible that they start making a serious push on the business desktop, as I see hints of a business strategy in their last 6-12 months of offerings... but then, this is Apple we're talking about, so who knows.

It's fun to speculate about where Apple wants to take Mac OS X in the next revision, but the only people who know for sure are probably in Steve Jobs' inner circle at this point.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Not so sure... OS X is only ever referred to as OS 10 when spoken, isn't it. I agree the visual impact of OS X is hard to beat, however, but OSII ain't so bad.

"ex" rolls off the tongue easier than "ten" (especially when following an S). I think you will find that many intel era switchers (there are a lot of them too) will say "ex". When I switched I was pretty ignorant of macs and didn't even realize it was OS 10 for a while.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

I call BS. Sounds far-fetched to me.

Yeah, seconded. What's next? That Apple is working on iPhone OS 4.0? Let's stop these far fetched rumors.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

"ex" rolls off the tongue easier than "ten" (especially when following an S). I think you will find that many intel era switchers (there are a lot of them too) will say "ex". When I switched I was pretty ignorant of macs and didn't even realize it was OS 10 for a while.

I've used Macs for quite a while and I've always referred to it as "Oh Ess Ex" as opposed to "Oh Ess Ten." I knew it was actually ten, the "ex" just felt more natural I guess. I also think it sounds better.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

How about Sylvester?

That is a fine name, although it comes after Stimpy in collating sequence.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

I call BS. Sounds far-fetched to me.

They were probably working on 10.7 before Snow Leopard hit store shelves.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

of course they are working on the next version. this fluffy filler for a slow news day.

Wasn't that my point?

Sarcasm really is lost in this medium, isn't it? \
  • Reply 49 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Somebody who understands software development. A company like Apple is working on multiple versions of future OSes at the same time.

Just like the rumors of Intel OS X years before it was first released with an intel mac!
  • Reply 50 of 77
    Hey Guys,

Of course Apple is working on the next iteration of OS. Want another shocker? Microsoft is working on Windows 8. This is the way the software world works.

To imagine that there are a bunch of code jockeys working on some version of the OS who only start to work on the next version once they are done with the current update really just shows how little most folk know about software development in large corporations.

Sure, some smaller outfits only start working on the next version when the current version gets released, but those are REALLY small organizations.

How this is a headline or news to anyone is a bit beyond me.

R
  • Reply 51 of 77
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rebelminion View Post

Hey Guys,

Of course Apple is working on the next iteration of OS. Want another shocker? Microsoft is working on Windows 8. This is the way the software world works.

You are aware there are 10 other comments before you saying this exact same thing. You agree in other words. Roar!
  • Reply 52 of 77
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Hmm... no ones mentioned marble, the rumored UI for Snow Leopard that never came to be. Now that the under the hood stuff is done, I expect 10.7 to be a visual feast. Can't wait for a preview of some sort (or substantial rumors to start coming in).
  • Reply 53 of 77
    How is this news? Tech Company Working on Next Development?

They've probably got some people working on stuff that will be targetted for 10.8 as well.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    OS X Wild Cat
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Well, if Apple's plan is continue the already-in-progress resolution independent UI, developers will AT LEAST need to get their hands on the tools for that asap. So, even if nothing else is mentioned about 10.7 that's a good candidate for WWDC 2010 (again, only IF Apple plans to push it in 10.7).

In fact, it would be interesting if Apple is planning to unveil this type of UI for the Tablet, wouldn't it? Hmm...

If you aren't aware of the resolution independent work that is already there since Leopard (warm) than check out this section of John Siracusa's Leopard review:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...s-x-10-5.ars/9

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...-x-10-5.ars/10
  • Reply 56 of 77
    anyaanya Posts: 14member
    Mac OSX 10.7 Cougar?

Anyways, "Surprisingly?" Really? I'm not all that surprised hearing about OS X 10.7. The only thing I'm curious about now will be the features and name.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

I disagree. You don't really need the core location service for this type of behavior. All you need is the network stack to recognize what network you're on (using the MAC address or whatever of your router) and initiate the appropriate network connections for that network.

You can already sort-of do this with OS X networking with the different profiles that specify if things like VPN are auto-launched on the particular connection you're on. It doesn't seem much of a stretch to say if I am at home, launch my network drive connections, if I am at Starbucks, turn them off.

Core location tries to actually figure out where you are in the world physically. It's not quite the same thing.

True, it would be one way to do it tho.

Here's another, half price on macupdatepromo at $9 today only (didn't go looking, just co-incidence):

Locations Pro 2.1

Network aware locations prefpane.

Locations is a network aware location manager. That's a fancy way of saying that it's a piece of software that watches which network you're on and changes your settings appropriately.

Locations Pro is capable of switching Adium status, Apple Mail SMTP servers and check frequency, desktop images, display brightness, network locations, printers, timezone, screensavers, your volume, your iTunes playlist, and your iChat status. It also opens and closes applications, checks for new podcasts in iTunes, connects to network servers, locks your keychain, opens URLs, enables and disables Airport and Bluetooth, starts Time Machine backups, shows Growl notifications, and runs Applescripts, Automator workflows and Terminal commands.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    10.6 was to get vendors to start developing drivers for 64bit. 10.7 will be the first redesign of Aqua since 10.0.

Or not.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

I also hear that Microsoft is working on WIndows 8 while Sony is planning a PS4! It's true!

...and don't forget the Xbox 720
  • Reply 60 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Not so sure... OS X is only ever referred to as OS 10 when spoken, isn't it. I agree the visual impact of OS X is hard to beat, however, but OSII ain't so bad.

Well that was part of my point. There is a big division over that.

Most people in fact say "Oh-ess-ex" when they say it out loud. Techies in general will freak out and beat you about the head if you say it that way though and insist that the "correct" way is "oh-ess-ten."

My point was that if they are right and it's just a number then "oh-ess-eleven" is a good idea, but that I don't think they are right. Most people actually think of it as "oh-ess-ex" regardless of what techies think is "proper."

This makes OS XI read as "oh-ess-ex-eye" which sounds dumb and is kind of a mistake IMO as I said in the earlier post.