Wow. The U.K. Uses 3.4G cards vs dsl or cable, not comatible with Snow Leopard.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Maybe they are talking avbout the cards only but it seems that there are more users using 3G 4G cards than say cable. Be right back. Will copy whole story.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    BRITISH USERS of Apple's latest Mac OS X, Snow Leopard, have been complaining that they can no longer use their broadband dongles in their fruity machines.

According to Electricpig.co.uk, many dongles of the broadband devices being flogged in Blighty are not compatible with Snow Leopard. It warns that punters have to be extremely careful and do shedloads of research before buying anything that plugs into their shiny expensive machines.

While some broadband dongles are advertised as working on a Mac, Snow Leopard doesn't recognize them because it does not have as many drivers as prior releases yet, the article warns.

So far dongles being supplied by 3, T-Mobile and O2 can't cope with Snow Leopard. T-Mobile's support site states: "If you use the Mobile Broadband USB Stick 120 or USB Stick 620, you should not use this with MAC OS X 10.6. It is currently incompatible and can cause serious issues with system stability."

T-Mobile even warns people against upgrading to Snow Leopard, but that's useless advice to people who have bought a new Apple machine.

Vodafone has supplied a software download, which it says will fix your dongle to work with Snow Leopard.

O2 has a complicated work-around that involves deleting and reinstalling its mobile broadband dongle support drivers, which most "it just works" Apple users will find too complicated and out of their league.

Meanwhile, Orange says that it will release software next week that will fix the problem.

The dongles causing the problem are all made by Huawei. It is keeping a low profile at the moment, but with so many of its broadband dongles being used in Blighty it is surprising that no one at either Apple or Huawei got around to upgrading the drivers for Snow Leopard before it was released.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

BRITISH USERS of Apple's latest Mac OS X, Snow Leopard, have been complaining that they can no longer use their broadband dongles in their fruity machines.

According to Electricpig.co.uk, many dongles of the broadband devices being flogged in Blighty are not compatible with Snow Leopard. It warns that punters have to be extremely careful and do shedloads of research before buying anything that plugs into their shiny expensive machines.

While some broadband dongles are advertised as working on a Mac, Snow Leopard doesn't recognize them because it does not have as many drivers as prior releases yet, the article warns.

So far dongles being supplied by 3, T-Mobile and O2 can't cope with Snow Leopard. T-Mobile's support site states: "If you use the Mobile Broadband USB Stick 120 or USB Stick 620, you should not use this with MAC OS X 10.6. It is currently incompatible and can cause serious issues with system stability."

T-Mobile even warns people against upgrading to Snow Leopard, but that's useless advice to people who have bought a new Apple machine.

Vodafone has supplied a software download, which it says will fix your dongle to work with Snow Leopard.

O2 has a complicated work-around that involves deleting and reinstalling its mobile broadband dongle support drivers, which most "it just works" Apple users will find too complicated and out of their league.

Meanwhile, Orange says that it will release software next week that will fix the problem.

The dongles causing the problem are all made by Huawei. It is keeping a low profile at the moment, but with so many of its broadband dongles being used in Blighty it is surprising that no one at either Apple or Huawei got around to upgrading the drivers for Snow Leopard before it was released.

I have no comment on the actual content, but good god, what source is that tripe from? The gratuitous use of slang is quite unprofessional and confusing to those of us not up on the limey lingo. I needed to have my British grandfather translate the first paragraph of the story for me.

OK, I do have one comment about the content. Deleting and replacing a driver is a complicated work-around that is "out of [mac users'] league?" Just because Apple like the slogan "it just works" doesn't mean that mac users are all completely incompetent or have never seen a computer before in their life. Replacing a driver when making a major OS update is pretty standard fare, is it not?

I'm not sure why the article seems to put more heat on Apple for this than Huawei. Given that this problem seems to be localised to a relatively obscure device format used only in parts of Britain and all produced by the same company, why would it be anyone but Huawei's responsibility to have a new driver ready in time for a major OS release that had been announced to developers ages in advance? And "shedloads of research," really? It sounds to me like there is one broadband dongle that won't work because the manufacturer hasn't bothered to update the drivers, but the source this article quotes makes it sound like you ought to be worried your mouse won't work or other such silliness.

If Huawei doesn't update the drivers quickly and continues to advertise these devices as compatible with OSX, wouldn't that be false advertising? I don't know anything about British law, but might Apple and/or consumers have the right to sue in such a case? If they advertise the produce as OSX ready, they have to actually make sure it remains OSX ready.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I have no problems with using a Huawei K3765 from Vodafone Australia with my MacBook running Mac OS X 10.6.2, although this is one of the latest USB modems available.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Maybe they are talking avbout the cards only but it seems that there are more users using 3G 4G cards than say cable. Be right back. Will copy whole story.

Huawei has updated drivers for Snow Leopard. Their mobile partner application sucks - very slow and unreliable. You don't need it. Just install the driver and go to System Preferences -> Network and set it up like a regular modem (with the necessary details).

http://osdir.com/ml/imug-users/2009-09/msg00013.html

http://www.huaweidevice.com/resource...=3874&treeId=0