AT&T faces setback in legal battle over Verizon ads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

As for the simultaneous data/talking, I have a question. I tend to talk and use the internet/email with speakerphone every once in a while, but it almost always is when I'm on a WiFi network (like when I'm at home).

So if you're within WiFi range and a call comes in, couldn't a Verizon phone still do talk/data?

You won't be within WiFi range when you are in your car and get a call while using Droid Google Navigation app. You will not even get your emails when you are in a call. Furthermore, how many WiFi enabled phones does Verizon currently offer? three?!

When they start their 4G transition Verizon will experience the same issues AT&T is facing right now.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You won't be within WiFi range when you are in your car and get a call while using Droid Google Navigation app. You will not even get your emails when you are in a call. Furthermore, how many WiFi enabled phones does Verizon currently offer? three?!

Thanks, that makes more sense now.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

I'd love to be able to get a smartphone without having to pay the data plan. I live on a college campus where I have wifi everywhere 24/7, I have zero interest in paying for a data plan I don't intend to use. I can live without internet EVERYWHERE.

You can - it costs $500 or so. However, if you want ATT to BUY you a phone, you're going to have to pay them back for it somehow. Have you taken Econ 101 yet?
  • Reply 44 of 86
    "most TV watchers are "semi-catatonic."

Huh? What'd I miss? Sorry, I was taking a nap.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You can - it costs $500 or so. However, if you want ATT to BUY you a phone, you're going to have to pay them back for it somehow. Have you taken Econ 101 yet?

How do you get the data free account with AT&T. With T-Mobile or a GSM-based MVNO it's simple but I don't of an easy way without doing a direct SIM transfer from a valid AT&T dumb phone.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    I like the new at&t ad.

The fact of the matter is that Cingular took a chance on the iPhone at a time when Verizon refused. AT&T now deserves to enjoy the benefits that the iPhone provides.

While at&t's network is not perfect, I am willing to stick with them while they work to upgrade it. I believe that Apple will do the same. AT&T will have faster 3G than Verizon at 7.2 before going to LTE. I hope Verizon never gets the iPhone. They made a mistake going against Apple and now they have to live with it.

Moreover, Verizon's network has never been tested with heavy iPhone traffic so who knows how it will perform. I don't need Verizon's network.

My iPhone will remain on AT&T all the way!!!
  • Reply 47 of 86
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjgienapp View Post

If you look at at&t's 3G coverage map in the Verizon ads, you'll notice there is no 3G in the Traverse City, MI area (Northwest of the lower peninsula). There is also only a small amount of 3G in the south central area of Michigan. In fact, there is 3G almost all the way along the I-94 corridor.

I have to wonder if there are other areas of the country that Verizon is not showing accurately. I think they are using an outdated map.

Except that the coverage map on ATT's own website doesn't show 3G coverage in those areas. According to ATT, they have no 3G coverage along the I-94 corridor between the Indiana border and the Detroit suburbs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Here in the Chicago area, coverage is great. My 3G service is better and faster than Verizon's.

Just as an example of how spotty and inconsistent cell coverage is, I have several friends in Chicago who switched to ATT for the sole purpose of getting an iPhone. Most, if not all, of them, within a few weeks or months of switching, have complained about ATT's service.

By chance, do you live in the suburbs of Chicago? Folks in the 'burbs seem happier with ATT than those in the city.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    ... ... ..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazda 3s View Post

so your opinion seems to be that, who gives a **** about call quality or 3g coverage (which severely lags verizon) since people are still buying iphones anyway?

no, my opinion (not that i was actually stating one), is that i find it fascinating that a single device can somehow all but erasy, or at least shove down in priority, quality of service/coverage.

i'm sorry if that's not what you're saying, because from all of your posts on the subject matter in this thread and others, this seems to be the case. It's almost as if you don't really care so much about at&t's problems so long as apple is doing great financially and with sales.

well i don't really care about at&t's problems because 1) i don't hold shares in at&t, 2) i don't work for at&t, and 3) i don't subscribe to their service, so i really can't relate at all because my service with rogers up here in canada is damn near perfect. Everywhere. All the time.

We all know about at&t's problems. We've known about them for well over a year now. We also know they've been addressing them, albeit slowly. The more interesting thing is verizon's sudden interest in at&t, now that it's clear what the iphone means to carriers. At&t's coverage issues are not news. What is news is what you see when you read between the lines: That verizon is desperate for their own premiere device, beause in today's telecom world we learn two things:

1) the device makes the carrier.

2) people are willing to put up with (or ignore) a lot if you carry that golden nugget device.

again, i'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.

• Reply 49 of 86
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How do you get the data free account with AT&T. With T-Mobile or a GSM-based MVNO it's simple but I don't of an easy way without doing a direct SIM transfer from a valid AT&T dumb phone.

Any unlocked iPhone can be then activated as a plain old phone.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

There is ONE MAJOR difference between Verizon's service and AT&T's: AT&T allows simultaneous Data and Voice. I use this new iPhone App called CISCO WEBEX. This is a great tool for any remote worker. It allows you to dial into a conference call and view a presentation LIVE over the internet. This type of application is a must for any serious business customer AND IS NOT POSSIBLE on the Verizon network.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

As for the simultaneous data/talking, I have a question. I tend to talk and use the internet/email with speakerphone every once in a while, but it almost always is when I'm on a WiFi network (like when I'm at home).

So if you're within WiFi range and a call comes in, couldn't a Verizon phone still do talk/data?

WiFi is not always available, and often it's Password-Protected, thus Simultaneous Voice + Data only on GSM/ATT is an obvious advantage over Verizon/CDMA that doesn't support it. According to:

http://bit.ly/3x9qmu , http://bit.ly/2xikP4 , http://bit.ly/sXWjE

This could be fixed if Verizon makes SVDO available, prior to LTE Transition!

Is that a hardware or and software Upgrade?

Is VZ going to do it, and if yes, when?

That very Q is my determining factor for switching to iPhone/ATT sooner, as opposed to waiting another 8-9 months from now for a MAYBE answer from VZ!!! If the Conspiracy Theories apply, maybe it's the carriers are WILLFULLY not telling the world, so that the customers don't jump off their contracts, which doesn't apply here, cause I am not on a contract.

Speaking of Contracts - if reduce mine on VZ to save $$, I'll loose the Unlimited Mobile to Mobile minutes? That's were ATT wins with their Roll Over Minutes...

Meanwhile, read these 2 articles here: http://bit.ly/lNOHA

Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as core platforms

Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as business models

and all their comments, you'll see why ANDROID will be a GIANT HEADACHE for most people, except for a few geeks looking for adventures!

As soon as I figure how to Migrate my Memos/Notes from my Treo 700p to iPhone, I'll get iPhone! Thus far, after all my trips to Apple Stores, it looks like there is no easy way to do it!

In 1999 or so, I took Steve Jobs + Apple seriously, and committed to a "Digital Lifestyle", which is what they kept stressing at that time! Palm PDA's were prominently featured in that "Digital Echo System".

I wish Apple made it easy for people like me to migrate to iPhone! Missing Sync can only sync via WiFi, EverNote is not for me. I am stuck on PB G4, OS 10.4.11, Treo 700P, and it's hard to watch all those iPhones floating by..

Wish this Forum created a Topic/Thread to discuss that! PLEASE GUYS, if you are reading this, DO IT!!!
  • Reply 51 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Although verizon may indeed have a map that shows coverage over a wider area, my experience using them provided me with horrible service - compared directly to a friend standing next to me using att.

I do believe that Verizon is taking advantage of how stupid we consumers are - regardless of whether they say the map is comparing 3G coverage only - we consumers (for the most part, and this generalization is appropriate in this case) see the lack of coverage on ATT's map as being just that - lack of coverage. The white areas on the map aren't viewed as non-3g areas, but rather as no service areas.

I work in sales and marketing of consumer products and they've done a brilliant job showing we consumers a "true" apples to apples comparison that really just takes advantage of how stupid we are.

As far as the iPhone is concerned, I like the phone and its features and how it works perfectly with my MBP and the apps it offers. What I really don't care is what network it runs on. I'm not beholden to ATT, Verizon, Sprint, etc and as far as 3G, it is going to become a moot point very quickly as the move to 4G speeds up. If Apple really wants to keep leading, it needs to force the "next" technology on the carriers and partner with whoever is willing to move things forward.

In a separate note, I'm getting to the point where I would like to find a carrier that is willing to go back to 1G, spotty service. This push to be continuously connected and available makes it difficult to live a normal life. I remember traveling in the day when I couldn't connect to the office unless I could find a pay phone or get to the hotel at the end of the day. You could actually have down time in the day. Now the expectation is to reply to emails and texts and calls immediately or face the scrutiny of the powers that be.

What is STUPID about posting an ACCURATE map of how LITTLE 3G coverage ATT has.? I am sick of losing signal when I go inside about 50% of buildings. Stinking ATT uses 1900 Mhz around here and that has ALMOST ZERO wall penetration.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    Quote:

When they start their 4G transition Verizon will experience the same issues AT&T is facing right now.

Add to it the fact that CDMA phones cannot receive calls when there is data flowing to the phone either, so if you are enjoying the scenery of the GPS app downloading all that wonderful content, enjoy getting voicemail messages.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    Quote:

And what issue will that be?

Verizon or any other company would be moronic to put up a few towers then dump all their customers over at once. If AT&T does it with the 7.2 one I can't remember the acronym then I don't know what to say. Well in ATT make the upgrades in a few.

Chances are they'll put up as many as possible for LTE then flip the switch. they still have 3g service to fall back on as the build out.

Oh and by the way Verizon offers 9 wifi enabled phones. ATT offers 13. Isn't exactly blowing them out of the water. I know goign to both websites and counting pass 3 is hard.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

And what issue will that be?

Verizon or any other company would be moronic to put up a few towers then dump all their customers over at once. If AT&T does it with the 7.2 one I can't remember the acronym then I don't know what to say. Well in ATT make the upgrades in a few.

Chances are they'll put up as many as possible for LTE then flip the switch. they still have 3g service to fall back on as the build out.

The handsets will need to work with CDMA EV-DO and LTE and the two technologies are not compatible. Verizon said they will keep using CDMA EV-DO until 2020 and this is more than 8 years from the date they will start the rollout 4G. This was a big problem when US carriers switched to GSM and this is why they are behind today.

Quote:

Oh and by the way Verizon offers 9 wifi enabled phones. ATT offers 13. Isn't exactly blowing them out of the water. I know goign to both websites and counting pass 3 is hard.

I asked because I didn't know. I know that Verizon said all smart phones will have WiFi beginning July 09 and I've only heard of three. However, their long list of handset filter on their website does not include WiFi. I am interested to know what handsets are Wifi enabled. Can you provide a link or a list of those devices please?
  • Reply 55 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

However, it makes you wonder if Steve Jobs did his homework on AT&T's coverage and their capability. I mean, why create a product that people just see and they want it now and have it tarnished because of the carrier you partnered with. I wonder where the iPhone would be today if it were on Verizon? MMS sooner? Tethering by now? Larger US iPhone user base?

or Verizon would have the same issues AT&T has - iPhone users actually use the network, so rather than investing in 3G in more areas, they have to invest those resources into the large population areas. Do you really think if everyone switched tomorrow, the Verizon network could handle the additional network bandwidth iPhone owners use?

To see what the service for iPhone on verizon might look like, take a look at their current Droid service:

The "unlimited" verizon data plan for droid actually has a limit on bandwidth use.

The Verizon data plan for droid expressly prohibits tethering. They plan an add on tethering plan, it's not available now, and when it is, it will cost an additional $30/month (and will also have a limit on bandwidth use).

Droid can do visual voice mail, but it costs another $2.99/month

Droid can support exchange servers, but enabling it costs another $15/month
  • Reply 56 of 86
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Quote:

Any unlocked iPhone can be then activated as a plain old phone.

No you can't have a smart phone with out a data plan on ATT. Even if you have a unlocked iphone their network will detect it and they will require you to have a data plan. In the past it was possible to provide your own iphone and skip a data plan but not any more. I speak from personal experience but don't take my word for it google it.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    Well, this constitutes evidence for judges watch TV, just as we all do.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    I just picked up a vzw storm 2 in Philly. Several times around town I have "raced" it against an iphone on surfing. The storm 2 always loses, even though it is 3 g and shows all bars. Further, my service has been down for several hours. This is my first experience with vzw. I am glad that they allow returns.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

... ... ..

"1) the device makes the carrier.

2) people are willing to put up with (or ignore) a lot if you carry that golden nugget device."

The iPhone hasn't changed anything when it comes to carriers in the US. ATT was the #2 carrier before the iPhone and it will remain that way with or without the iPhone.

The fact that ATT isn't the #1 carrier shows that a device has very little impact. ATT is far bigger overall then Verizon, they offer bundled deals on digital tv, phone, internet and mobile yet even with all the deals they offer they still can't overtake Verizon because Verizon simple has a much better network and customer service.

Maybe the device make the carrier in Canada but not here we actually need a network that allows us to get work done.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    Speed is only one parameter that one should use for comparison of network capacity. That VZW has more 3G coverage than AT&T does not mean they have the capacity to support the iPhone traffic. AT&T is certainly having problems with bandwidth issues even in places where they can show 3G coverage.

VZW has not been taxed yet. They have had time to study AT&T's technical problems, and if they're smart, are silently building up their capacity so when the iPhone becomes available to them, they'll be able to handle it. But remember, VZW originally passed on the iPhone, and Apple then went to the small carrier Cingular -- smart VZW is not.